Author Topic: Z lenses a preview  (Read 3397 times)

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
Re: Z lenses a preview
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 19:43:13 »
formerly known as kds315

Bill Mellen

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 20:37:09 »
I wonder how many people will buy a 58mm f/0.95, test it against their Zeis Otus lens a few times and then put it on the shelf?

Everything gets better as we grow younger and thinner

Bill Mellen

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 20:45:50 »
The Z lenses that interest me the most are the f/1.8 primes. I am waiting for the 85mm f/1.8.
Everything gets better as we grow younger and thinner

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 21:18:33 »
Guy needs an optics book, why wonder that a f0,95 lens is BIG and Heavy, jeez...no clue.

He isn’t wondering at all by stating “Wiith its f/0.95 aperture, it's no surprise really that this lens has some heft to it”.

The Leica Noctilux-m  50mm f/0.95, albeit of shorter focal length, is significantly smaller...

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 21:30:27 »
Guy needs an optics book, why wonder that a f0,95 lens is BIG and Heavy, jeez...no clue.
It is a LOT bigger than the Leica 50 f0.95 Noctilux, even when you take into account the slightly longer focal length.

I wonder how many people will buy a 58mm f/0.95, test it against their Zeis Otus lens a few times and then put the Otus on the shelf? :) :o

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 21:44:03 »
I don't own any Otus and have no plans to get one -- however, my Nikon rep long ago received my pre-order for the 58/0.95.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 21:47:10 »
It is a LOT bigger than the Leica 50 f0.95 Noctilux, even when you take into account the slightly longer focal length.

I wonder how many people will buy a 58mm f/0.95, test it against their Zeis Otus lens a few times and then put the Otus on the shelf? :) :o

Since we already have Leica "collectors" that exhibit no examples of ever having created a photograph, there might buyers of each, that put both on a shelf! Nothing surprises me nowadays.
Carl

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 22:18:19 »
I've seen a news footage of Dmitri Medvedev holding a Leica M body fitted with the Noctilux 50/0.95.   :o :o :o

When I was university student, I did a part-time job as translator for the German journalists accompanying the then-prime minister Helmut Kohl.  One of the German journalists had two Leica M5s both fitted with the Noctilux 50/1.0.  They were his work horses.  He didn't put any filters or hoods on the lens.  I was in awe...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

atpaula

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Aguinaldo de Paula Photography
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 22:40:35 »
I wonder how many people will buy a 58mm f/0.95, test it against their Zeis Otus lens a few times and then put it on the shelf?

I said here a while ago that people love photographic equipment, specially the expensive kind. Taking pictures with it is another story.
I witnessed it in last year’s Photokina, where the equipment stands were always crowded and the several awesome pics displays were not so much.
Aguinaldo
Nikon / Zeiss
www.aguinaldodepaula.com

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2019, 22:45:31 »
I've seen a news footage of Dmitri Medvedev holding a Leica M body fitted with the Noctilux 50/0.95.   :o :o :o

When I was university student, I did a part-time job as translator for the German journalists accompanying the then-prime minister Helmut Kohl.  One of the German journalists had two Leica M5s both fitted with the Noctilux 50/1.0.  They were his work horses.  He didn't put any filters or hoods on the lens.  I was in awe...

IF, and it's a very big one, I had such lenses, I doubt that I'd want to put anything between them and the subject.
Carl

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2019, 22:51:10 »
IF, and it's a very big one, I had such lenses, I doubt that I'd want to put anything between them and the subject.

I wouldn't use any filter for any lenses now except for splashy or dusty conditions, but I was afraid of exposing the front element of any lenses at that time.   :o :o :o
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2019, 22:55:47 »
I wouldn't use any filter for any lenses now except for splashy or dusty conditions, but I was afraid of exposing the front element of any lenses at that time.   :o :o :o

That is understandable, and the more expensive the lens, the more trepidation that accompanied it, BTDT.   ;)
Carl

chambeshi

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2019, 13:39:50 »
I said here a while ago that people love photographic equipment, specially the expensive kind. Taking pictures with it is another story.
I witnessed it in last year’s Photokina, where the equipment stands were always crowded and the several awesome pics displays were not so much.

"Nice hardware might make shooting more pleasant, or motivate you to get out and use it: but ultimately you still have to make the image."

https://blog.mingthein.com/2019/03/04/coda-guess-the-format/

also see this essay https://blog.mingthein.com/2019/02/21/bigger-isnt-always-better/

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2019, 18:40:59 »
"Nice hardware might make shooting more pleasant, or motivate you to get out and use it: but ultimately you still have to make the image."

https://blog.mingthein.com/2019/03/04/coda-guess-the-format/

also see this essay https://blog.mingthein.com/2019/02/21/bigger-isnt-always-better/

Last weekend I photographed a rowing regatta. I shot in the same location last year. And there was another photographer at the same event who is also posting their photos. Compared to last year and the other photographer it is clear that equipment makes a difference in what is captured and the results of those captures. It is easy for Ming to say “equipment doesn’t matter” but that is only half true, and always has been for more than 100 years of photography.

Less often it is stated (because people like to talk about extremes) that photography is the creative use of technology in service of art and communication. So technology does matter. And it is the creative choice of technology from an array which is tremendously large and varied which is the job of the photographer. Constraints can generate focus and creativity just as they can limit it. Capabilities can expand and delight or just baffle us with too many choices, ironically leaving many to stick with defaults.

I don’t feel a need for the new Noct in my work. That is a corner of space I’m not present in, though I’d love to see the results that Birna and others will bring back with it.