Author Topic: Z lenses a preview  (Read 3393 times)

Anthony

• NG Supporter
Re: Z lenses a preview
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2019, 11:14:38 »
Last weekend I photographed a rowing regatta. I shot in the same location last year. And there was another photographer at the same event who is also posting their photos. Compared to last year and the other photographer it is clear that equipment makes a difference in what is captured and the results of those captures. It is easy for Ming to say “equipment doesn’t matter” but that is only half true, and always has been for more than 100 years of photography.

Less often it is stated (because people like to talk about extremes) that photography is the creative use of technology in service of art and communication. So technology does matter. And it is the creative choice of technology from an array which is tremendously large and varied which is the job of the photographer. Constraints can generate focus and creativity just as they can limit it. Capabilities can expand and delight or just baffle us with too many choices, ironically leaving many to stick with defaults.

I don’t feel a need for the new Noct in my work. That is a corner of space I’m not present in, though I’d love to see the results that Birna and others will bring back with it.

Interesting, what were the main differences which the technology made to the photos?
Anthony Macaulay

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Z lenses a preview
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2019, 22:14:31 »
Interesting, what were the main differences which the technology made to the photos?

In this case,

Compared to previous camera:
1) VR in the body of Z6 allowed hand holding of 400mm + TC.
2) Zoomable EVF allowed better focusing

Compared to Canon:
3) Better dynamic range resulted in better and less noisy exposures
4) Colors are generally better

There are probably a number of other small advantages as well. I don't think it is surprising to find that new technology can help produce better photos.