Author Topic: Nikon Df and non-Ai nikkors  (Read 2381 times)

chals

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Nikon Df and non-Ai nikkors
« on: January 16, 2019, 03:58:30 »
With non-Ai nikkors you have to set the choosen F number acordingly on the camera, once settled you can also use your Aperture wheel directly for over or under exposure by 1/3 steps. I am thinking of users with Nikon Df.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Nikon Df and non-Ai nikkors
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 09:45:02 »
Is this a question or a recommended procedure? With camera on 'A' changing the dialled-in aperture figure will of course alter the exposure accordingly. When the aperture on the lens itself is keep fixed, this leads to the suggested over- or underexposure. If on the other hand the camera is set to 'M', you can use the rear thumb wheel for rapidly applied +-2/3 EV corrections (done by speed changes).  I much prefer the latter approach as I try to avoid using the front wheel if possible as it interrupts my normal handling of the camera.

chals

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 14:16:52 »
I forgot to mention that I always use M and autoiso. Also, I really like the frontwheel which I turn with my middle finger. I filed down the edge though.

basker

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 15:52:47 »
I like to keep menu item f7 set to "ON A." to avoid using the front wheel in aperture priority. Why would you need  to set shutter speed when using auto? Aperture ring still works for AI lenses.

The Df user guide says, "If On (Mode A) is selected, the main command dial will be used to set aperture in exposure mode A only.

Am I misunderstanding something using this method?

Sam McMillan

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 18:18:17 »
We are talking about lenses without any meter coupling ....

basker

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 18:32:18 »
I apologize if I am off topic. The lenses I was referring to are unconverted, a 50/2 H and 105/2.5 P.C  on a DF.
Sam McMillan

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 18:43:51 »
Not necessarily. Different set ups for our cameras. I cannot use On(A) for f7 since nearly all my AIS/AI/preAI Nikkors are CPU-modified.

The unmodified pre-AI lenses will operate analogous to "G" as I described.

basker

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 21:31:19 »
There was no intent to be controversial or contrary. Having an idiosyncrasy probably does apply.

I thought the OP was describing a way to compensate auto exposure by lying to the camera about what aperture is set on a non indexing lens. Was only trying to say that I use the same method but avoid using the front wheel. It was interesting to hear from someone else that uses that idea.

Yes, the +/- dial does the same thing, but I sometimes forget to reset it. Since aperture entry is a requirement regardless, I find (for me) the primary wheel is most convenient. I do have to remember to think backwards though, going to f/higher_number increases exposure. A  f/lower_number makes the camera want shorter time for less exposure. Unfortunately, there is no meter display other than "it's all good."

Everything works the usual way in M mode. Of course the aperture actually changes with my only G lens, as it should.
Sam McMillan

chals

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 21:36:45 »
Seems like the rear wheel just changes the iso, while the choosen exposure remain the same. But the setting for lenses in the Df had to be set to e.g. 1.2 in order to underexposed if the lens has a max 3.5 aperture.

basker

• NG Member
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 21:50:55 »
Mine changes the displayed f/number and shutter speed in A mode. It is set for fixed ISO. Did you say you use auto ISO and M mode?

Update: My method may not work at all if auto ISO is on. I will test that later.
Update: With auto ISO on nothing works the way I expect in either mode. This may take a while
Update: What I do will not get along with auto iso. In A mode, the change in aperture is offset by change in ISO, so no help in changing exposure.
Sam McMillan

basker

• NG Member
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 22:05:27 »
This is an excerpt from an old post by Bjørn Rørslett that was very useful to me. I would never have bought any pre AI before I read it

First, flip up the aperture follower (remember to set it back later !!)

Make an entry for a non-CPU lens if not already done, and mark it as non-AI.

Now, use the front dial to set the aperture to a value, say f/5.6. Rotate the aperture ring on lens to the same setting.

Then, either shoot in A or M, for the latter mode, you match deviations from "0" as normal by changing exposure speed.

Me again. If you use the f7 menu as I described, you can substitute "rear dial" for "front dial."  Since you modified the front dial, you may prefer to keep using that.
Sam McMillan

chals

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 22:12:01 »
Yes, only M, autoiso and f1.2 for the non-AI lens in the Df-menu. I use the Front wheel for shutter speed. If I want a fast speed quickly, I use the top dial, very quick to get to 1/1000. Rear wheel only for aperture on all my lenses.

basker

• NG Member
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 22:55:45 »
I have completely misunderstood your procedure. Sorry if I caused any confusion.
Sam McMillan