Author Topic: D200 main/sub-command dial problem  (Read 5621 times)

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
Re: D200 main/sub-command dial problem
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2019, 00:08:28 »
I had the same problem.
I did a little web research and found it to be a pretty basic device with a disc with printed contacts and some wipers that made contact on the bottom side.  Judging from the photos I looked it, it didn't appear that there were any delicate mechanical parts in the immediate area.  I decided to do a little shade-tree camera repair. :-)

Instead of trying to disassemble the camera, I carefully pried back the rubber directly underneath the dial and directed a quick squirt of Deoxit into the mechanism. BINGO! It now functions perfectly.

If you're not familiar with it, Deoxit is a wonderful thing to have around. I have the "Gold" and "Silver" versions in liquid form and the aerosol version of the "Silver". It has saved the day many times. Conventional hardware store aerosol "contact cleaner" often does more harm than good. Deoxit is safe and effective. It's also great for dirty or corroded battery holders in cameras and flash units which most of us have dealt with at one time or another.

I heard about it from a buddy in the electronics repair biz.

Stay sharp,
Bob
Thanks for the technical details and advice, Bob.
I should really have some of that around - I also have a couple of retired computer mice that could need a Deoxit treatment on the mouse button switches.
Based on your description I wonder if the control wheel in my case somehow had gotten pushed out of position and then re-seated itself.
Øivind Tøien

desmobob

• NG Member
  • Freeze time... Save memories... Make photos!
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2019, 01:31:38 »
Øivind,

Good to hear your problem seems to have disappeared.  May it be gone for good!

I was a little hesitant to recommend the "repair" that worked for me as I know it's a big no-no to spray anything into a camera body.  I took the monetary value of the camera vs. the cost of repair into account and figured that even if I wrecked it, I could replace it for about 100 USD.  Even so, I would have felt like an idiot, knowing in advance I was trying something ill-advised.   ::)

In this rare instance, my luck was good.

Stay sharp,
Bob

Lorne

• NG Supporter
  • it started with a Nikkormat
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2019, 03:32:36 »
I have both Electrosolve and DeoxIT. A couple weeks ago I gave a few squirts of Electrosolve to the front & rear command dials, then before it evaporated I vigorously moved the dials back & forth. Command dial function has improved quite a bit. I'll give DeoxIT a try and will report back.
Frequently wrong, seldom in doubt

desmobob

• NG Member
  • Freeze time... Save memories... Make photos!
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2019, 13:45:34 »
I recommend finding and looking at a photo of the command dial mechanisms so you can see where you need to apply the Deoxit.  I had to pry back the rubber covering to treat the sub-command dial as the contacts and wipers are a bit below the dial.

Stay sharp,
Bob