Author Topic: Further up on the road. 40 meters or so.  (Read 9339 times)

chals

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Further up on the road. 40 meters or so.
« on: January 16, 2019, 02:48:57 »
Nearby house

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
Re: Further up on the road. 40 meters or so.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 04:24:16 »
The image is tilted to the right, and not pleasantly.  The other issue I see is the shadows being unnaturally high on the ground, and the sky being unnaturally light.  Just because detail is captured, does not mean it should be left in the final image.

Lastly, the low perspective makes it seem as though it is from a child's view.  I personally would alter the PP for a nostalgic look to complement this.
-Tristin

ianwatson

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 03:11:43 »
I personally would alter the PP for a nostalgic look to complement this.

I like the idea but am unsure how to achieve it. What would you suggest?

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 19:49:20 »
Can be done by negating the qualities typical of modern images compared to the past.  Lower contrast, less saturated colors, not correcting vignetting, no sharpening, etc. 

IMO the key is to be light with these changes, to impact the image without looking like you edited it to be "old-timey".  You don't want an "effect" to dominate the image itself.
-Tristin

ianwatson

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 19:50:23 »
Thank you, Tristin. Besides general curiosity, I have a photograph that I want to evoke a bit of nostalgia and sadness. I will try your suggestions and perhaps cool the colour temperature slightly as well.

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 09:35:32 »
I would have removed the left hand house.  Tilted ?  by what 1 degree ???
Always listen to old people or when they die you live on in ignorance

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 10:43:18 »
Image is definitely very close to level, if you check the vertical parts of the window for instance, however the lamppost is definitely not vertical  ;) Not corrected for tilt gives the house a tiny bit of tilt look to the right, but really mostly an optical illusion. Fence is out of vertical probably not parallel to house and/or on slanted ground.
Nice evening image  ;D
Erik Lund

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 15:50:25 »
There is snow on the ground. That explains the "unnaturally light sky".

Personally I see nothing wrong here at all. The lines of houses are slightly convergent as they ought to be when the vantage point is low. The lamp posts are tilted in various directions which is the normal situation here in this country anyway :)

jeremycole

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 23:00:49 »
It's a striking image. I enjoy the way the lines of the road and the phone lines carry your eye to the left but the dominance of the house pulls the eye back right.  Agree with previous comments that the mood of the shot could be enhanced/played with in processing to good effect. Personally, I would enjoy a version with a darker sky. Nice work!

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2019, 09:23:42 »
the lines lead my eye to the left house while the right house seems to be meant as main sibject? I like the somewhat spookey atmosphere
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2019, 22:08:37 »
the lines lead my eye to the left house while the right house seems to be meant as main sibject? I like the somewhat spookey atmosphere
Expanding on Frank's comment. In conventional thinking, if the purpose of this shot is to stand alone as a single still picture, IMO the shot would benefit from being composed to suggest one main subject. As Frank has noted, the viewer's attention is currently split between the two houses.
If this were a shot for a movie, where a character is about to enter the frame near the camera and then walk up the road toward the houses, it's a great starting frame.
As always, I try to accept what the artist has given us as fully intentional.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA