Gear Talk > Lens Talk

Voigtlander 40mm f/2 Ultron Opinions?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Derek of Venango:
Birna & Airy, I take it that this lens is not optimized for infinity? Does it ever get very good to excellent edge to edge and if so what f stops? I presume diffraction sets in around f/11?

Roland Vink:
I bought the original 40/2 Ultron years ago in my quest to find a "standard" lens with smoother bokeh than my Nikkors. I was disappointed in that respect, and sold it after finding the AI 50/1.8 had nicer rendering - smoother than the AI-S 50/1.8 pancake and 50/1.4 that I tried previously.

However, looking back at the pictures I took with this lens (shot on slide film), the sharpness, contrast and colours were excellent. I can't comment on barrel distortion as it doesn't show up on my nature shots, but I don't recall it being noticeable. Performance at far distances also seemed good although I usually stop well down for landscapes and I don't have any pictures actually shot at infinity. The bokeh, while "complex" still resulted in pleasing pictures, so maybe I should have kept it. I have read several reviews which commented favourably on the bokeh so maybe I had a "bad" sample, or the optics have been changed slightly? For example, from LensRentals:

--- Quote ---This lens has some very specific appeal. It’s a tiny little pancake lens that is great for a wide aperture walkaround. Also, it’s a very sharp lens with nice bokeh at a very reasonable price.
--- End quote ---

The latest incarnation is styled like a 1960s Nikkor-H 50/2, and it focuses much closer, giving 1:4 magnification, both features are attractive to me so I have considered giving this lens another chance...

Derek of Venango:
Thanks Roland. You always have valuable input! The newest iteration is Ultron IIs so I have no idea what they tweaked optically, if anything. Thus my questions regarding sweet spot apertures for edge sharpness and especially at distance.

schwett:
i like this little lens. on my copy i find the focus ring a little stiff and a little hard to "find" with the hand, considering how very very tiny the lens is. it makes for a very handy little package on any of the non-pro nikon DLSRs. i've shot it on the 700, 800, 810, 850.

these shots are not intended to be examples of superlative anything, just illustrative of the way i use this lens casually. it has a nice rendition of color and highlight to my eye.

Birna Rørslett:
A few images to indicate how I use the 40/2 SL.2. My copy focuses buttery smooth, by the way.

All with the Df, on which camera the 40 Voigtländer fits perfectly. This is the chrome nose version with a beautifully finished scalloped focusing collar in satin black, and the CPU implant.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version