Gear Talk > Lens Talk

Voigtlander 40mm f/2 Ultron Opinions?

<< < (5/5)

Hugh_3170:
Danulon's discovery about the Voigtländer SL-II 40mm lens CPU providing full compatibility with the advanced Nikon metering modes, raises a couple of questions for me.

Firstly will Zeiss and Voigtländer provide firmware updates for their CPUs? 

Secondly will the Voigtländer SL-II 40mm operate the green focus light on the Z6/Z7 cameras?  Anyone know?

Birna Rørslett:

--- Quote from: Hugh_3170 on March 03, 2019, 02:33:43 ------light ??
Secondly will the Voigtländer SL-II 40mm operate the green focus light on the Z6/Z7 cameras?  Anyone know?

--- End quote ---

It most certainly does. The 58/1.4 CV SL.2 does not.

By the  way, 45/2.8 Ai-P Nikkor also triggers the "green"light.

Øivind Tøien:

--- Quote from: Birna Rørslett on March 03, 2019, 07:15:55 ---
It most certainly does. The 58/1.4 CV SL.2 does not.

By the  way, 45/2.8 Ai-P Nikkor also triggers the "green"light.

--- End quote ---

What about your chipped 55mm f/2.8 micro? That would be similar max aperture/focal length as the AF 55mm f/2.8 micro. That could tell us if the bodies in question is looking for a familiar lens. (Added: On further thought then the 58mm f/1.4 should also have been accepted?)

Hmm, may be I should not have re-chipped my 28mm which had the 45mm chip   ;D? (Actually I do not care about the green dot). However it is strange if the 40mm register as a 40mm in exif and still is accepted.

I do not see any advanced metering modes on my D500 (AFS 12-24mm f/4 mounted; the only option I see is face detection option for exposure/metering). Is that only on D850 and Z bodies?

Birna Rørslett:
Whatever identification protocol Nikon is using here to determine whether a lens is "worthy" of triggering the green light, it cannot rely on simply matching focal length and some fixed aperture. That would prevent the "green light" feature to work with new lenses unless the camera's firmware is updated, a measure step unthinkable for Nikon. Lenses that vary focal length and/or effective aperture would cause a hellish lot of matching issues as well. There must be some hidden code in the lens identification as presented to the camera.

Some  AF/AFD lenses (AF Micro 105/2.8, AFD 35-70/2.8 ) I have tried via the FTZ evidently are unable to get a "green light", however the AFD 14/2.8 does? . My two Ai-P lenses (45/2.8 and 500/4P) on the other hand show the 'green light' as does the Voigtländer 40/2 SL.2.

I am none the wiser. Maybe there is a bug in the Z-camera's handling of focus peaking that is manifested by the confusing and inconsistent treatmeant of red/green focus confirmation?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version