Gear Talk > Lens Talk

Voigtlander 40mm f/2 Ultron Opinions?

<< < (3/5) > >>

Derek of Venango:
Ah, great Schwett and Birna! Thanks for posting very engaging fotos. Kids are awesome.

I agree, it renders colors beautifully, preferring/punching up the reds to my eye. I like the way that green foliage renders more neutral. Also, to my untrained and aging eyes, it seems very sharp edge to edge (brick, curb and honey comb in signage). Then again, I am sure both of you are playing to the lens strengths.  ;D

Don't seem to notice any alarming barrel distortion. Perhaps some pincushion in the street ... Oh wait, I think that's a pothole! ;)

Birna, is that a cucumber tree? Very cool (if the pun fits) shot.

Birna Rørslett:
Nope, a London Plane (Platanus × acerifolia). Frequently used in cities as it stands pollution better.

Airy:

--- Quote from: Derek of Venango on January 07, 2019, 22:30:27 ---Then again, I am sure both of you are playing to the lens strengths.  ;D

Don't seem to notice any alarming barrel distortion. Perhaps some pincushion in the street ... Oh wait, I think that's a pothole! ;)

--- End quote ---

Birna's first and last shot display barrel distortion that I (not: everybody) would object to. Schwett's pics seem to have been corrected in PP. But, as Birna said, this is a minor concern.
The only major concern, in my case, would be against-the-light shooting. Sorry, too busy this evening to grab the example shots. In a few words, my use case is "pipe organs in front of a brightly lit, white glass window" and is not forgiving. This is where other reputable lenses such as the Zeiss 50/2 ZF2 also failed (not the Milvus though), so it does not disqualify the CV40/2. But it is a "fly in the ointment", as far as my particular photographic activites are concerned.

In the sample pics, I recognize the same qualities that I appreciated myself, including edge-to-edge sharpness (on stopping down... say, f/4 or narrower), popping colors (esp. reds), as others also noticed.

Once again, no (affordable) lens is perfect, and this one displays a nice set of pros.

Derek of Venango:
Hey everyone, thanks for the valued input. I have one coming from B&H!

I think it will be a fun lens. Who knows, it might even push me toward a Df.

And Airy, post a shot of the pipe organ when you get a chance as I am curious to see. :)

Airy:
Sure. You do not need to be afraid of "buyer remorse" though - very good choice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version