Author Topic: Film Scanners?  (Read 7056 times)

Chris Bartleson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Film Scanners?
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2018, 19:39:57 »
Thanks for the recommendation on the Nikon Coolscan, I want to use models that are USB 2.0, which I think the Coolscan IV and V are, not sure on other models yet. The only concerned is if I need a repair done on one of these things, how hard is it to come across parts? What's the reliability like?

I also definitely would like to know about Minolta, I don't know anything about them and am interested, what models would I be looking to go for with these?
Nikon D7100 - Nikkor 18-105mm VR | Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D
Nikon FM - Nikkor 105mm f2.5 AI-s
Nikon EM - Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8 | Nikon MD-E Motor Drive

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2018, 21:16:48 »
Thanks for the recommendation on the Nikon Coolscan, I want to use models that are USB 2.0, which I think the Coolscan IV and V are, not sure on other models yet. The only concerned is if I need a repair done on one of these things, how hard is it to come across parts? What's the reliability like?

I also definitely would like to know about Minolta, I don't know anything about them and am interested, what models would I be looking to go for with these?

AFAIK, Minolta is a crap shoot at this point, WRT scanners. Sony has the reigns now, and while I did hear that they were doing some things with some models, they no longer produce them. Even that was some time ago, so I don't know how likely it is that they could be relied on for service or repair any longer.

Minolta made very good scanners, and they enjoyed good reliability, but that was many years ago, and I have not looked into current parts availability. My suggestion is to inquire at Sony. I'm not sure what is happening with Nikon parts, service, and repair of scanners either. That's old technology now that digital bodies rule the roost, thus not supported as it was.

Good luck.

The alternative is to choose a reliable lab to process and scan your film going forward. That is not going to be the least expensive way, but, it is the way to get good IQ scans.
Carl

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2018, 22:07:40 »
The Coolscan IV-ED is USB 1.1.  They claimed a 42 second scan at full 2900 horizontal pixel resolution, but in my experience that was pretty optimistic.  I would not recommend this one if you're in a hurry.  But if you have a machine that it gets along with, and some time, it makes a good image.  I found this a nice scanner to use while sort of watching TV.  The perfect multitasking activity during Olympic season.

Chris Bartleson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2018, 01:42:05 »
The Coolscan IV-ED is USB 1.1.  They claimed a 42 second scan at full 2900 horizontal pixel resolution, but in my experience that was pretty optimistic.  I would not recommend this one if you're in a hurry.  But if you have a machine that it gets along with, and some time, it makes a good image.  I found this a nice scanner to use while sort of watching TV.  The perfect multitasking activity during Olympic season.

I have confirmed what you have said to be true, the Nikon Coolscan V and Nikon Coolscan 5000 ED both use USB 2.0, I'll have to check other models, the firewire models might be doable with vuescan software.

AFAIK, Minolta is a crap shoot at this point, WRT scanners. Sony has the reigns now, and while I did hear that they were doing some things with some models, they no longer produce them. Even that was some time ago, so I don't know how likely it is that they could be relied on for service or repair any longer.

Minolta made very good scanners, and they enjoyed good reliability, but that was many years ago, and I have not looked into current parts availability. My suggestion is to inquire at Sony. I'm not sure what is happening with Nikon parts, service, and repair of scanners either. That's old technology now that digital bodies rule the roost, thus not supported as it was.

Good luck.

The alternative is to choose a reliable lab to process and scan your film going forward. That is not going to be the least expensive way, but, it is the way to get good IQ scans.

So it's the same thing either way right? Which means it wouldn't be a bad thing to know some things about Minolta Scanners.
Nikon D7100 - Nikkor 18-105mm VR | Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2018, 02:19:28 »
I have the Coolscan 4000 and found the bulk negative feeder very useful. I load it up and get on with other tasks. It does have a bulk slide feeder (SF-200S) option which loads 50 slides. Both the Coolscan and Nikon Scan work fine on Windows 10 so no need for having to use an old OS. The Coolscan IV-ED mentioned also works with Windows 10 and Nikon Scan.
Bez

Chris Bartleson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2018, 02:26:51 »
I have the Coolscan 4000 and found the bulk negative feeder very useful. I load it up and get on with other tasks. It does have a bulk slide feeder (SF-200S) option which loads 50 slides. Both the Coolscan and Nikon Scan work fine on Windows 10 so no need for having to use an old OS. The Coolscan IV-ED mentioned also works with Windows 10 and Nikon Scan.

Well, this is quite a surprise, Nikon Scan actually works with Windows 10? That is quite different from what I've heard elsewhere. Thank you for this excellent information!

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2018, 09:14:01 »

One would still need Firewire connection to the computer?

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2018, 10:30:05 »

Microsoft have compatible legacy drivers available  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2970191/firewire-port-based-device-does-not-work-correctly-in-windows-8-1-or-w

The Coolscan IV-ED is USB interface.

Bez

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2018, 20:52:13 »

are you referring to hardware here?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2018, 21:22:24 »
I'll have to try that again, I guess (not home at the moment).  I thought I had tried Nikon Scan on Win 10 and found it did not work.  I think the machine itself will, if one uses other software, but I seem to recall incompatibility with Nikon Scan, but maybe I'm forgetting already.  When I get home later in the week I'll see if I can give it a try, and report back. 

Slow as it is, I found the Coolscan IVED and Nikon Scan made pretty nice images.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2018, 21:31:06 »
are you referring to hardware here?

Connecting a Firewire scanner to a computer presumes there is a Firewire receptacle at the other end :D

(my Nikon scanners both use Firewire)

Bjørn J

• NG Member
  • North of the Arctic Circle
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2018, 21:44:14 »
Well, this is quite a surprise, Nikon Scan actually works with Windows 10? That is quite different from what I've heard elsewhere. Thank you for this excellent information!
I know it is possible to make Coolscan models with USB to work under Windows 7 and Windows 8, with some simple software modification. I use a Coolscan V myself on Windows 7 with no problems. I have not tried it under Windows 10, but it is worth a try. I see no reason why it should not work.
Here is the info: http://axelriet.blogspot.com/2009/10/nikon-ls-40-ls-50-ls-5000-scanners-on.html
You need to download Nikon Scan 403 from here: https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/na/NSG_article?articleNo=000026780&configured=1&lang=en_SG
This is for 32-bit Windows, but it will work on 64-bit with the description mentioned in the link above.
Bjørn Jørgensen

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2018, 00:29:34 »
Connecting a Firewire scanner to a computer presumes there is a Firewire receptacle at the other end :D

(my Nikon scanners both use Firewire)

I understand that firewire to usb adapters are sub 10€ items. Am I mistaken?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2018, 00:32:43 »
Adapters are cheap -- but will they work? As I already have deployed computers with the necessary Firewire connections I'll stick to what works at present ....

Chris Bartleson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2018, 01:07:20 »
You can still buy FireWire pci cards as well as pci-e expansion cards for PCs if you wanted, now if you have a laptop I’m not so sure.