Author Topic: Wollensak 50mm f1.5 Anastigmat  (Read 3601 times)

Toby

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Toby Marshall
Wollensak 50mm f1.5 Anastigmat
« on: December 01, 2018, 06:39:28 »
This seems to be an early oscillo lens in a shutter. I know of several other versions of the lens, including a Raptar and Oscillo-Raptar, but this appears to be the first version. I heard somewhere that after seeing this lens Wollie was asked to produce lenses specifically for recording off CRT screens. The Anastigmats predated the Raptars and Amatons, AFAIK, and definitely had less field curavature than the Raptars particuarly (engineered to keep the image sharp across a curved CRT screen). It has pretty wild bokeh, just to my taste, of course. Interestingly, as one moves from f1.5 to f2.0 the spherical aberration glow not only decreases markedly, but the bokeh itself becomes swirly. Have a look at some first tries on a Sony A7RII. Check out #s 3&4 and 5&6 to see how the bokeh changes between f1.5 and f2.0

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Re: Wollensak 50mm f1.5 Anastigmat
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 08:40:17 »
Quite tasty indeed. And what happens if you stop it further down (if at all possible ?)
Airy Magnien

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 12:07:20 »
Looking good Toby!

Was that the lens they used for the early atomic weapon testing? If I remember correctly there was this one, a Nikon 1.5/50mm and another one...
formerly known as kds315

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 12:19:37 »
very special and dreamy
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 15:05:38 »
nice..
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

Toby

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Toby Marshall
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 18:36:53 »
Looking good Toby!

Was that the lens they used for the early atomic weapon testing? If I remember correctly there was this one, a Nikon 1.5/50mm and another one...

Hi Klaus,
It well could have been used in those days, it is from that era, mounted in a Rapax shutter. Interestingly the serial number does not start with a letter, indicating that it is certainly an earlier model. My understanding is that one of the scientific companies used this lens on early oscilloscopes and asked Wollensak to manufacture a lens specifically for oscilloscopes, which is where the Wollensak Oscillo-Anastigmats, Amatons and Raptars came from. There were a couple of later models, including a 51mm f1.5 Raptar and 51mm Anastigmat as well.

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 09:27:08 »
Hi Klaus,
It well could have been used in those days, it is from that era, mounted in a Rapax shutter. Interestingly the serial number does not start with a letter, indicating that it is certainly an earlier model. My understanding is that one of the scientific companies used this lens on early oscilloscopes and asked Wollensak to manufacture a lens specifically for oscilloscopes, which is where the Wollensak Oscillo-Anastigmats, Amatons and Raptars came from. There were a couple of later models, including a 51mm f1.5 Raptar and 51mm Anastigmat as well.

Yep, that f1.5/51mm RAPTAR was that lens which co-existed for those tests with the special thread mounted 1.4/50mm Nikkor-S. Nikon stopped making those, so they had to switch makers... This is that Nikkor-S: http://www.macrolenses.de/ml_detail.php?ObjektiveNr=37
formerly known as kds315

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 14:10:00 »
Spectacular results, Toby!
I see how you are enjoying this lens!
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 15:52:55 »
That is quite an interesting rendition that lens produces.  You are using it well.  Thanks for sharing.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

radarguy101@gmail.com

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 17:57:58 »
How are you using this lens with your modern camera?  Are you using the Rapax shutter or the camera's shutter? And how are you mounting it?  I really do like the photos you present.

Termite

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 22:03:25 »
The bokeh/rendering in picture 8 really works well together with the water drops on the rose. Nice!

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 15:15:50 »
extraordinary pictures - thx for sharing
Thomas Stellwag