Author Topic: December 2018  (Read 67869 times)

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
Re: December 2018
« Reply #150 on: December 14, 2018, 23:18:26 »
December 14

christmas trees

D850  105mm f/1.4
Nice :) This must be the best unsharp sharp image I have seen ;)

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #151 on: December 15, 2018, 00:29:21 »
A night shot with Z6 and 24-70

812_0481

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #152 on: December 15, 2018, 12:40:24 »
present packaging falling from the tree devoid of their content
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #153 on: December 15, 2018, 12:41:36 »
A night shot with Z6 and 24-70

812_0481

ISO and other tech settings?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #154 on: December 15, 2018, 14:41:07 »
ISO and other tech settings?

ISO 140. 15 sec exposure with 24-70 @ f/7.1

In dark conditions with areas of bright light the EVF does not represent the bright areas as well as an optical finder. They tend to wash out and bloom so it is necessary to zoom the finder to determine focus. The focus by wire lens is also a bit more difficult than a manual lens at night. With a manual lens I can easily find infinity and can focus by feel by how far off the near and far stops I am. The Z lens gives no tactile feedback of where it is focused. It does show a sort of range finder in the display, but I’m not at a point where I can determine focus point from that. End result is that taking shots in the dark is made easier by zoomable viewer, but is is slower and more painstaking than just turning the lens to where you think the focus should be.

I’ll try some manual lenses at night and see how that works.

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #155 on: December 15, 2018, 15:29:03 »
Just fooling around, with very adverse conditions captured comet 46p near the pleiades

I'm in the outskirts of the city, moon is at 40+% about 90°W from the comet

but polaris is visible so I set up the tracker and left the camera shooting for 1hr

a couple of frames had plane lights , picked one of them and superimposed it on the stack
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #156 on: December 15, 2018, 18:36:08 »
Just fooling around, with very adverse conditions captured comet 46p near the pleiades

I'm in the outskirts of the city, moon is at 40+% about 90°W from the comet

but polaris is visible so I set up the tracker and left the camera shooting for 1hr

a couple of frames had plane lights , picked one of them and superimposed it on the stack

Great capture of the comet.  Love the emerald green color!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #157 on: December 15, 2018, 19:49:18 »
ISO 140. 15 sec exposure with 24-70 @ f/7.1

In dark conditions with areas of bright light the EVF does not represent the bright areas as well as an optical finder. They tend to wash out and bloom so it is necessary to zoom the finder to determine focus. The focus by wire lens is also a bit more difficult than a manual lens at night. With a manual lens I can easily find infinity and can focus by feel by how far off the near and far stops I am. The Z lens gives no tactile feedback of where it is focused. It does show a sort of range finder in the display, but I’m not at a point where I can determine focus point from that. End result is that taking shots in the dark is made easier by zoomable viewer, but is is slower and more painstaking than just turning the lens to where you think the focus should be.

I’ll try some manual lenses at night and see how that works.

so this is not high ISO but tripod? How does the EVF picture change when you keep the exposure value but change ISO and time to adjust for .14k, 1.4k, 14k, 140k?

And if on tripod, why not base ISO?

And at .14k why not pump the hell from the shadows?

a lot of questions, I know.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #158 on: December 15, 2018, 20:04:40 »
so this is not high ISO but tripod? How does the EVF picture change when you keep the exposure value but change ISO and time to adjust for .14k, 1.4k, 14k, 140k?

And if on tripod, why not base ISO?

And at .14k why not pump the hell from the shadows?

a lot of questions, I know.

The finder brightens based on camera settings. If you adjust ISO, shutter or aperture you will see the effect.

I’m typically using Auto-ISO so that is why it is 140 instead of 100. Maybe next time I’ll try full manual.

Shadows are there because I like shadows. The range on this is pretty high so not sure what I’d find if I lifted them up. Still have many more dark evenings to practice on. I’m heading to Tokyo over the holidays so hopefully will get a fast and effective routine for night shots. During the day I find the EVF is great so no worries there.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #159 on: December 15, 2018, 20:06:29 »
will you meet Akira??

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #160 on: December 15, 2018, 20:08:30 »
The finder brightens based on camera settings. If you adjust ISO, shutter or aperture you will see the effect.

EVF will show the same picture for the same exposure value independent of you settings? 3 orders of magnitude ISO?

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #161 on: December 15, 2018, 21:35:06 »
will you meet Akira??

I hope to. I’ve contacted him and if schedules work out we will meet up.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #162 on: December 15, 2018, 22:17:56 »
EVF will show the same picture for the same exposure value independent of you settings? 3 orders of magnitude ISO?

If you enable setting d8 “apply settings to live view” then exposure, white balance, picture controls all are applied to the image in EVF. If Auto-ISO is on, it will adjust ISO to present a photo which is properly exposed.   There is some chatter that this impairs autofocus, but I’m not much of an AF user so I’d rather see what the capture will look like.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #163 on: December 15, 2018, 22:34:08 »
I hope to. I’ve contacted him and if schedules work out we will meet up.

Yup.  I'm pretty excited to have as much as three consecutive meet-ups in 2018: Airy from France, JJChan from Australia and this time Jack from the U.S.!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #164 on: December 16, 2018, 02:08:39 »
If you enable setting d8 “apply settings to live view” then exposure, white balance, picture controls all are applied to the image in EVF. If Auto-ISO is on, it will adjust ISO to present a photo which is properly exposed.   There is some chatter that this impairs autofocus, but I’m not much of an AF user so I’d rather see what the capture will look like.
With the Fujifilm EVFs, I have found that enabling 'apply settings to live view' (or whatever Fuji calls it) is usually more useful than allowing the finder to auto-gain.  One can even judge exposure fairly accurately, once one knows the rendering style of the EVF, by just looking at the live image(or the playback) instead of consulting a histogram.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA