Author Topic: SHOCK, HORROR, BUT WE ARE OK - 2ND IMPORTANT NEW POST, 15 APRIL 2019  (Read 54750 times)

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
I don't know if the road to Kyle is the same sort then the one from Fort William to Mallaig, a one car wide road with stops to let the oncoming car to pass (not to speak of the roaming sheep that stubbornly thinks it can go faster then you and keep running in front of you instead of jumping sideway...). ;) I think that David timing is a generous one (hoping there is no caravans)!!! 8)
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Seapy

• NG Member
I don't know if the road to Kyle is the same sort then the one from Fort William to Mallaig.

While it's not a motorway, it's a reasonably major road, some twisty bits but also some very fast sections if you don't respect the speed limit.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
5 hours then, instead of 4? Meaning leaving at 6:00...

If it is too early, Francis, I can rent a car.
Bruno Schröder

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
If it is too early, Francis, I can rent a car.

When I am travelling, either using air or ferry, I always make sure having a comfortable margin of time, to face any unexpected delay for any reason like road works, slow traffic. This applies whether I use train, bus or car to commute airport or ferry port.

And this margin is proportional to the distance. that means we have to leave very, very early
, which I don't mind at all[/b].

So, if we have to get up at 4 o'clock in the morning, I am absolutely fine.

There's an alternative, tough : we leave friday afternon and you stay for the night in a hotel near the airport. It's not holiday time, so, it should be ok for you to get a bedroom, but at extra expenses. I would carry on my journey toward the south until tired. The advantage of this option is that we can take our time stopping for pictures as we'll cross very beautiful scenery...
Up to you, Bruno, I am flexible... :D

Francis.

Francis Devrainne

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
Great. Thanks a lot.
Bruno Schröder

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
Yes, the Kyle of Lochalsh road is a good two-lane road all the way to Fort William and the south; the same is now true of the Mallaig road which has been greatly improved and no longer has any single-lane sections. But anyone needing to catch a flight would not go via Mallaig because of the ferry - too much time lost. Via Fort William, four hours is definitely possible. Ten days ago Mayumi and I did a very similar journey from the north of Skye to Killin in 5 hours with many stops including M. doing some supermarket shopping and me calling in to see a friend in Glencoe.

While it's not a motorway, it's a reasonably major road, some twisty bits but also some very fast sections if you don't respect the speed limit.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
I'm in the preparation and pre-packing stage of the upcoming Scotland journey. Due to the side effects of my recent  transition and hormone therapy, I need to bring less gear than usual. Thus I'm torn between the decision whether to take with me the usual Df kit, or spring for the newer Z system. My view at present is that I cannot use  both on this trip.

To make headaches even more troublesome, I had intended to use a full-spectrum D600 for experimental forays into UV, IR, and multispectral ranges. This dictates that few if any wide-angle lenses can be carried with me this time and implies I would require additional lenses just for the Z6 (or Z7).

Are any of the participants to this meeting bringing Z gear with them? That might sway the outcome on my part.

(I have packed AW1 for the loch visits to Skye. They are unaffected by the above)

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
Birna. Is anything wider than 24mm needed?
I for one would like to try the Z series, 6 or 7 is nor important, as it is the ergonomics and the MF lenses I would like to use.
I will have FX optics from 24mm to 105mm (micro Nikkor f 4.0) plus the 300 mm PF with me and some DX from 10mm (10-24 zoom)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
I have the 8-15 Fisheye with me ...

The probability of bringing the Z6 is now 95%.

Seapy

• NG Member
Birna, I am planning to bring a D200IR (720nm) I can also bring my full spectrum D200 if it helps.  I am also bringing my 16mm f/2.8 fisheye.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
I guess I will bring my small and light kit
D500&D850 plus 8-15, 20, 35, 58, 85, 300PF
plus extension 14Empty and 14E3...

Due to Air Traffic I will possibly bring no tripod or monopod other than the 190 Manfrotto for emergency.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Mikes

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Are any of the participants to this meeting bringing Z gear with them? That might sway the outcome on my part

I am bringing my Z7 plus a 24-70/2.8S, a 14-30/4S and a 35/1.8S that I have been carting around Sicily for the past couple of weeks (plus the FTZ adapter)....
Mike Selby - Sydney

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
I'll bring the D500 and a few DX lenses (10, 35, 85, 16-80) and the 500 PF and a few manual lenses. At the moment, I'm torn between bringing the DF or jumping on the new Z discounts …
Bruno Schröder

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
My gear for this event :

# Z6 + FTZ

# M42 to Z adapter.

# Meyer trioplan 100mm f/2.8;
# Meyer Lidyth 35mm; (for tests)
# Zeiss Jena Biotar 58mm f/2
# Zeiss Tessar 85mm f/2.8 Contax/Yashica;
# Zeiss 35mm f/2 ZF2;
# AFS 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 VR;
# a macro lens no decided wich one.

# Will bring 2 tripods, so, one can be borrowed.

:)

Francis Devrainne

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
Thanks, guys. The probability of going the Z route is now 99.99%. At some time I just have to come to grips with the Z system as a work horse and this opportunity is as good as any. I know my beloved Df inside out and now need to learn the Z in the same manner.

I'll be centred on the Z6 with 50/1.8S and the Fotodiox extension plus FTZ. Additional lenses 8-15 Fish (vis + IR),  24/1.8, 60/2.8 Micro, UV-Nikkor 105/4.5, and Voigtländer 180/4. The three latter lenses to be used on my full-spectrum D600. There will also be a filter heap of some size for 52mm thread.

In addition to the above, a small field kit of AW1 + 11.5-27.5 (for Sky lochs) and possibly the V1 with 18.5/.8.

A cut-down Sachtler tripod and Burzynski head round off the gear list this time.