Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 316203 times)

Mike G

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #1065 on: December 30, 2019, 09:18:57 »
Waiting for Spring to let the green burst out!
Z6 + Z Nikkor 24-70mm @ 1/80 f5.6 ISO 360
Nikon Z7, 24-70mm f4, 14-30, 35, 50,  85.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #1066 on: December 30, 2019, 09:36:41 »
Regarding the startup time, how does it influence the shooting when doing street photography, anyone with input on this. I would not like to end in the same situation as with my Nikon 1 cameras.
The price on a Z6 set it interesting at the moment.

Dont think the camera is all that fast for street shooting also the focus box seem to move into one corner every time, i rather like have it in the center, i have my af setting on auto area. The greatest issue is the shutter best at automatic but tripping the shutter is quite clunky and not that fast a bit jerky actually. Adjusting settings on the fly one needs to create customized profiles. After 3 weeks of use i still think the d850 is a better camera.But the size and weight is quite nice.
I am sure there will be quite a few of you that will disagree, good ;D

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #1067 on: December 30, 2019, 09:50:10 »
On the streets, why switching the camera off?

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #1068 on: December 30, 2019, 09:53:51 »
Thank you Fons and John
Well it will go into sleepmode by it self, so the startup time from this was very long on my Nikon 1 cameras, but instant on the DSLRs.
I do some sports photography, but that might not be the Z6 force?

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #1069 on: December 30, 2019, 10:58:01 »
I do some sports photography, but that might not be the Z6 force?
I think it is. AF is very very fast on native lenses, and also on the AF-S lenses.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #1070 on: December 30, 2019, 11:35:20 »
Auto-Focus in the dark on my black Cat (Eye detection) with the AF-S 80-200/2.8

Very suitable for action ;)

Hermann

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #1071 on: December 30, 2019, 13:12:41 »
I've been following this thread since it started, and I think it's now about time I got myself a Z as well. I've still got quite a few AIS lenses, and I really want to use them once again in the future. A couple of months ago I was quite sure I'd get myself a Z6, having tried one in the field for a a day. I know the limitations of the Z6 when it somes to BIF, and I can live with them, especially as I won't give up my DSLRs (D7500, D300, D5300) for the foreseeable future.

Now, after the Z50 came out,  I'm not so sure anymore. I normally shoot DX and I'm into wildlife photography, so the Z50 would fit nicely. It's also smaller and lighter than the Z6, that makes it quite attractive to me. I'm not too worried about the lack of IBIS in the Z50 since I normally use fairly fast shutter speeds anyway. However, I can't find any decent reviews of the Z50 yet, especially not from a wildlife photographer's perspective. Just a lot of noise and downright nonsense on Youtube ...  >:( If there is anybody here who knows both the Z6/7 and the Z50, there are a few points I'm interested in:

• - What's the AF of the Z50 like compared to that of the Z6/7? Are there any differences? And does anyone have any experiecne using the Z50 for "dynamic subjects"?
  • - What's the build quality of the Z50 like? About the same as the Z6/7, or is it a more of an "amateur camera build"?
  • - Did anyone try out a Z50 (or any of the other Z cameras) with one of the old long lenses? I've still got the 4.5/300 IF-ED, the 5.6/400 IF-ED and the 5.6/600 IF-ED back from the film days, and these are lenses I want to use with the Z.
  • - On the subject of Z6 vs. Z50 again: Does the IBIS make any real difference with the AIS lenses, the long lenses I mean? The 5.6/400 was my walk-around lens for quite a few years, and I'd quite like to use it in the field again, admittedly for nostalgic reasons more than anything else ...  ::)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hermann

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #1072 on: December 30, 2019, 13:23:22 »
Story out in the streets:
This old dog will not live much longer so i suggested i take a few pictures of him and the dog.
Had a difficult time getting the focus right, quite a learning experience wth the z6,
this' one of the images.

Z6, 50mm f/1.8S cropped

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #1073 on: December 30, 2019, 13:34:41 »
Regarding the Z50: it really is a cute little camera and pretty well built too. Of course it is pared down, control-wise, compared to its bigger siblings, Z6/7, but still qualifies as an easy-to-use and competent camera.

AF with the native lenses is fast. I use it mainly in combination with the 35/1.8S. AFS lenses through the FTZ are quite fast too, but perhaps not up to their peak speed on a high-end DSLR.

The 400mm f/5.6 ED-If works well with the Z50, however I for one will need mono- or tripod support for this setup as it is not easy to hold still due to its light weight. Actually, almost the same issue as I ran into with this lens on an FM2 camera in the old days. The manual focusing is easier with the Z50, though. I have used Z50 with lenses as long as the 360-1200 Nikkor.

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #1074 on: December 30, 2019, 13:42:57 »
If I am in a very active area with lots happening  I  do not let it go to sleep.   If I find a good location, with good field if view, I will  let it go to sleep and watch what is unfolding.
One thing that does bug me is the on/off switch needs different finger position to turn on an I am not used to it yet .  Sorry, from my phone.
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #1075 on: December 30, 2019, 14:47:55 »

• - On the subject of Z6 vs. Z50 again: Does the IBIS make any real difference with the AIS lenses, the long lenses I mean? The 5.6/400 was my walk-around lens for quite a few years, and I'd quite like to use it in the field again, admittedly for nostalgic reasons more than anything else ...  ::)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hermann

The IBIS makes a huge difference with all the lenses, including the AI, AI-S and Pre-AI

Mike G

• NG Member
    • You ARE NikonGear
    « Reply #1076 on: December 30, 2019, 15:00:37 »
      The IBIS makes a huge difference with all the lenses, including the AI, AI-S and Pre-AI
    As a user of another system that has IBIS, it will make an enormous difference. Allowing you to handhold at ridiculously slow shutter speeds!
    I now wouldn’t buy another make or model that didn’t have IBIS!
    [/list]
    Nikon Z7, 24-70mm f4, 14-30, 35, 50,  85.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
      • Tilburgers
    « Reply #1077 on: December 30, 2019, 15:07:17 »
    Had a difficult time getting the focus right, quite a learning experience wth the z6,
    this' one of the images.

Z6, 50mm f/1.8S cropped

The following AF Settings help with the Speed

Custom Settings Menu:

A3 - Move to Quick

Video settings affecting stills:

G4  +5   and  'Always'
    G5  High

Hermann

• NG Member
    • You ARE NikonGear
    « Reply #1078 on: December 30, 2019, 16:23:01 »
    Regarding the Z50: it really is a cute little camera and pretty well built too. Of course it is pared down, control-wise, compared to its bigger siblings, Z6/7, but still qualifies as an easy-to-use and competent camera. <snip>

The 400mm f/5.6 ED-If works well with the Z50, however I for one will need mono- or tripod support for this setup as it is not easy to hold still due to its light weight. Actually, almost the same issue as I ran into with this lens on an FM2 camera in the old days. The manual focusing is easier with the Z50, though. I have used Z50 with lenses as long as the 360-1200 Nikkor.

Thank you, that's good to hear. I'd also use a monopod or a tripod with that lens just like I did with my FM2 most of the time. I gather high ISO also works quite well with the Z50, within the limitations of the DX sensor, of course.

Hermann

RobOK

• NG Supporter
    • You ARE NikonGear
      • My gallery
    « Reply #1079 on: December 30, 2019, 16:50:03 »
    The following AF Settings help with the Speed

Custom Settings Menu:

A3 - Move to Quick

Video settings affecting stills:

G4  +5   and  'Always'
    G5  High

Thanks! I have a lot to learn about Z systems autofocus! Would people want a separate thread here for Z system AF discussion?