Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 318982 times)

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #1050 on: December 13, 2019, 20:46:05 »
With www.camerasize.com you can compare camera+lens combinations (though not with "old" Nikkors)

Like Z6 (with FTZ) vs Df

http://j.mp/2PDs4Jr

I like that comparison, I was thinking about that. The eye piece sticks out more on the Z but overall thinner with a deeper grip of course. Thanks for posting.

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #1051 on: December 13, 2019, 21:26:16 »
Glad you like it. I guess you noticed you can also select front view which clearly shows how much smaller the Z6/7 are.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #1052 on: December 21, 2019, 12:50:37 »
I just purchased a Z50. In fact, I was looking for another FTZ adapter, as the one I got for my second Z6 ("full spectrum" modified) had to be modified for that particular camera, thus not usable on my other Z bodies. My dealer had not any FTZ available unless purchased as a kit with the Z50. Price wasn't appalling, so why not?

It is a cute little camera for sure. Very nice appearance with my small Nikkor-S (RF) lenses. I'll make a micro-review later.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #1053 on: December 21, 2019, 14:42:40 »
The Z50 shows the greet dot !! With virtually all my CPU-modified lenses, or native AF/AFS Nikkors.

There is one strange exception discovered so far, namely the 50/1.2 Nikkor AIS; however this lens has the Dandelion chip. It works in principle as I can set apertures like the other CPU-enabled lenses, but the shutter release is locked.

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #1054 on: December 23, 2019, 12:34:30 »
Probably due to the iOS 13 upgrade from some time ago all over sudden the BT connection between Z7 and SnapBridge on the iPhone became stable; the connection now reliably re-establishes every time the Z7 is switched on or recovers from sleep. It means carefree location data is now a reality. To prevent too much power drain on the iPhone I set the accuracy to medium.

It would be nice if only by means of BT (thus without having to establish a wifi connection) the camera shutter could be actuated through the SnapBridge app. Maybe something for an update?

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Member
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #1055 on: December 24, 2019, 10:21:04 »

It is a cute little camera for sure. Very nice appearance with my small Nikkor-S (RF) lenses. I'll make a micro-review later.
Please proceed with the micro-review
Does it support all the goodies (focus peaking..)that Z6/7 do?
Thank you

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #1056 on: December 24, 2019, 13:44:26 »
Please proceed with the micro-review
Does it support all the goodies (focus peaking..)that Z6/7 do?
Thank you
Z50 is not having in-camera vibration reduction (IBIS), and I suspect it has no focus peaking too. A quick search in the Z50 manual (english version, really quick, I may have overlooked sthg) did not show anything about focus peaking. There are only two references to focus peaking (pages 62 and 277 of the english user manual), which are probably left over from a careless copy/paste of the same paragraphs from the Z6/Z7 manual. I could find no reference to the focus peaking menu that is in the Z6/Z7 manual [in the Z6 camera menu you access it from Photo shooting Menu...Focus Shift Shooting]. These are two of the reasons why I selected a Z6 over a Z50.

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #1057 on: December 26, 2019, 05:22:17 »
Good news that the green light in the new Z50 works with the Rorslett chips.  Let us hope that the big yellow mothership releases a firmware upgrade for the Z6/7 twins that will enable them to also display the green light for chips other than certain of Nikons own lens chips, e.g. such as the 45mm f/2.8 AiP pancake lens.

The Z50 shows the greet dot !! With virtually all my CPU-modified lenses, or native AF/AFS Nikkors.

There is one strange exception discovered so far, namely the 50/1.2 Nikkor AIS; however this lens has the Dandelion chip. It works in principle as I can set apertures like the other CPU-enabled lenses, but the shutter release is locked.
Hugh Gunn

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #1058 on: December 26, 2019, 22:38:53 »
Meet Víctor Quintanilla, a well known artist in La Línea gave us a private tour of his upcoming 3 floor museum (yes, he is building one) and the latest pieces he is creating right now using materials from garbage and industrial disposals.

Z6, 50mm 1.8s @f1.8, eye AF (spot on), iso 3200 (+0.5 in post) 1/20th handheld. It looks very good in color as well

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #1059 on: December 26, 2019, 23:35:53 »
Nice composition, Paco, and a good subject for b+w.  I've been "eyeing" that new firmware update myself.  Time to get moving on it.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #1060 on: December 27, 2019, 00:52:25 »
Thanks Bill.

Go for the update, as far as I can tell there is nothing to lose but a few minutes and a lot in exchange  :)

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #1061 on: December 27, 2019, 06:49:16 »
Paco, very nice and agree, a great subject for B&W.   I installed latest FW a few days ago but have not had a chance to play with the Z6 since installed.  Maybe today but have to shoot gear for prospective buyers this weekend so maybe not  :( .  I was thinking of using the Z6 , Sony 90 f2.8 macro and Nikon 60 f2.8G /FTZ with Soft box.  Not sure that will be a proper FW test.
Have a great 2020.
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Nikfuson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #1062 on: December 27, 2019, 12:09:57 »
FW 2.10/2.20 has certainly improved AF in lowlight.
Here's an example where face detection picked up the face in the framed picture in very dim light.
The actual light level is emulated in the lower part of this example.

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #1063 on: December 30, 2019, 03:21:18 »
Was shooting with the Z6 and 50 1.8 S tonight (see December 2019 thread) and it's not really a svelte package, is it? I mean it's not huge but some of my other mirrorless example are DX sensor and lens (either Fuji or Sony NEX). The handling is great, I am still getting used to it all.

I somehow have my settings confused on the Review. I would like a short review on the back of the camera, what is best setting for that?

Also, the start up time from sleeping is a little long. I may have to delay sleep mode longer and carry batteries. Or shoot more frequently.

Any other day to day observations (or settings) from people who have had it longer?

Rob.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #1064 on: December 30, 2019, 09:17:14 »

Also, the start up time from sleeping is a little long. I may have to delay sleep mode longer and carry batteries. Or shoot more frequently.

Any other day to day observations (or settings) from people who have had it longer?

Rob.
Regarding the startup time, how does it influence the shooting when doing street photography, anyone with input on this. I would not like to end in the same situation as with my Nikon 1 cameras.
The price on a Z6 set is interesting at the moment.