Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 316146 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #945 on: August 28, 2019, 21:31:39 »

... and IKEA book shelves :)

only in rentals. I prefer craftsmanship and perfection
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #946 on: August 28, 2019, 22:45:10 »
Z6 so far:

there are ergonomic issues

there is a new AF system one has to learn

I often have to correct exposure by -2EV to avoid blown highlights, some strange behavior of exposure system (matrix metering)

the editing in NX-D is very different compared to any Nikon camera I have used before

a lot to learn

only one XQD slot

The sunny side:

The IQ is beyond anything, even beyond the D5

AF with native lenses is extremely fast and precise

The EVF is the best I have seen so far, MF is great with it too; the Fuji Medium Format GFX and the Leica SL do not compare well

Lenses used: Native 24-70S f/4.0, 1.4/105E, 1.4/58G, 2.0/200VR all Nikkors. Upvoming: 2.8/60G Micro and esp 1.4/35 Ai-S
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #947 on: August 28, 2019, 22:56:54 »
Z6 so far:

there are ergonomic issues, esp the lever at the "DISP" button moved unintendedly several times

I often have to correct exposure by -2EV to avoid blown highlights, some strange behavior of exposure system (matrix metering)

the editing in NX-D is very different compared to any Nikon camera I have used before

a lot to learn

only one XQD slot

The sunny side:

The EVF is the best I have seen so far, MF is great with it too; the Fuji Medium Format GFX and the Leica SL do not compare well

Lenses used: Native 24-70S f/4.0, 1.4/105E, 1.4/58G, 2.0/200VR all Nikkors. Upvoming: 2.8/60G Micro and esp 1.4/35 Ai-S

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #948 on: August 28, 2019, 23:23:19 »
Z6 so far:

there are ergonomic issues

a lot to learn

only one XQD slot

The sunny side:

Have had the same AF impression. Still playing but have found some that works for me pretty fast.
   non of those exposure problems in my side. Have tried spot, matrix and highlight protection and all work pretty nicely -but for stage, there I have blown highlights too, have to go manual as usual)
   Have never enjoyed the 35mm ai-s so much as with this camera. I hope it works for you too. I even did a video with spectacular -for me :)- results
   Have you tried eye-af with the 200mm wide open? just curious
   Enjoy the new gear!

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #949 on: August 29, 2019, 06:31:31 »
  Have had the same AF impression. Still playing but have found some that works for me pretty fast.
   non of those exposure problems in my side. Have tried spot, matrix and highlight protection and all work pretty nicely -but for stage, there I have blown highlights too, have to go manual as usual)
   Have never enjoyed the 35mm ai-s so much as with this camera. I hope it works for you too. I even did a video with spectacular -for me :)- results
   Have you tried eye-af with the 200mm wide open? just curious
   Enjoy the new gear!

I have her for less than a week and the week is packed with stuff to do. Next year I might buy my own and try to cope with the flaws ... possibly epoxy the "disp" lever?

I wish I had the time to RTFM, but the FM is too much to read for now

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #950 on: August 29, 2019, 13:34:45 »
I like paper

i like the paperweight you are holding...

;D
Francis Devrainne

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #951 on: August 29, 2019, 15:35:11 »
New life for the AF-S 17-35/2.8  with the Nikon Z6

Public Library Lochal. On the left side, the City Café

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #952 on: August 29, 2019, 16:44:04 »
i like the paperweight you are holding...

;D

yea funny, tail waving dog!

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #953 on: August 29, 2019, 18:32:29 »

An impressive dynamic range! And a nice day-to-day scenery. It might be my brain trying to trick me but the lens also seem to show a bit more character than the new Z lenses.
Peter

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #954 on: August 30, 2019, 07:02:18 »
Thanks Peter. I am not sure,  I never used a Z lens.   I am positively surprised the Z6 and the 17-35  seems to match  :)   (no distortion correction applied, by the way)

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #955 on: August 30, 2019, 07:20:25 »

I spent a lot of time viewing this image, there's a lot to see, and, IMO,  it's interesting.
Carl

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #956 on: August 30, 2019, 08:06:43 »
Thanks Carl.  It is a library in the former factories of a Locomotive Repair Facility.

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #957 on: August 30, 2019, 12:03:21 »
John, how do you like the Z6 so far?

After shooting quite a few photos since buying one, I must say I still have to get used to it. While I like the EVF (especially the ability to zoom in to manually focus) and the silent shutter I hate the lag time in EVF startup (as said earlier I missed shots due to that) and the joystick because the focus point is always somewhere else than expected due to unintended joystick movement. I do not have problems with the ergonomics although the D750 feels a bit nicer in the hand when holding the camera for a longer period of time. The 1 card slot is annoying because raw and jpeg are stored on one disk. Not for backup reasons but because I like to import jpeg files to my iPad during a shoot or travel (for selection or quick send) and NEF files to my computer later.  W.r.t. IQ: I honestly do not see a difference between the Z6 and D750 in my photography but I guess others will.
Peter

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #958 on: August 30, 2019, 13:15:32 »
I only have it one day now, but I had read a lot before I got it, including all these pages here   ;) 

I like it a lot.  Gives full flexibility with all my lenses and new possibilities with my Rodenstock's, Angenieux's, Visionars and others...  I followed some tips Jack gave, with fn1  in zoom 200% and fn2 zoom 50% That works great in combination with the peak highlights. Focussing was never so easy and clear. Also very convenient to switch continously between the back screen and the finder.

The  Focus-point you can center in the Custom Settings with  f3 OK button  Shooting Mode  -- > Select center focus point.  Clicking on the OK button will immediately center the focus point.

A slower start up time means you have to adapt your working ritual.    I have no problems using one card, but that Nikon forces their customers  to use extremely expensive XQD cards bothers me.

Tested the 55mm f/3.5 Macro  from 1963  :) 

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #959 on: August 30, 2019, 14:20:03 »
Wonderful!
Peter