Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 316101 times)

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #900 on: June 26, 2019, 05:13:23 »
Yes, and be prepared to work at the taking aperture when doing the metering - which might get a little dim if the light is bad.

If you tape over the Zeiss 135mm contacts, you can (must) use the aperture ring, if that's what you prefer. But then you have to manually set the focal length/max aperture and lose some exif data...
Hugh Gunn

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #901 on: July 05, 2019, 06:36:15 »
Just for info:
I just received this from my preferred dealer , not Techart,

"...But the problem is Techart said it's not support use together with the LM-EA7 yet. They planned to support but there is still tech issue can't be solved. so it's not work with EA7 now.  "

I do plan on using my Batis 25. 85, 135, Loxia 21, 50 and FE 35 f2.8 on the Z6 so the question is to wait or buy now???   I would be much happier if my Leica M mount lenses worked as well.  I do not know if the "...tech issue..." can be resolved with a FW or if it would be a new adapter???

I will see if Techart answers my email.  If, and when, I receive a response I will up-date
Cheers,

Tom Hardin, Goa, India

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #902 on: July 05, 2019, 16:30:38 »
i just realized that it doesnt have a dedicated botton for AF modes or CSM  ::)

and....

you cant assign it to the custom buttons  :o :o :o

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #903 on: July 05, 2019, 16:42:39 »
I have sent MANY emails to TechArt and never received a single response.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #904 on: July 11, 2019, 16:05:40 »
Three things struck me in using the Z6 for a few days and looking at the RAW files in LR:
1. The colors are rather saturated compared to those of the D750.
2. Noise levels seems to be higher than those of the D750 at comparable ISO levels.
3. Besides applying the camera profile, LR mystically adjusts exposure ,highlights, shadows, sharpens with a 2.0 radius and reduces both color and luminance noise.

Am I doing something wrong or do others have similar experience?
Peter

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #905 on: July 11, 2019, 20:33:00 »
I run my Z files through Photo Ninja. Haven't noticed anything untoward. On the contrary, the results are usually spot on in terms of colour rendition and -saturation, and noise levels are very low for Z7 (which I always shoot at low ISO, it being now mainly confined to studio work). The Z6 comes out of PN with low noise too, but of course the results cannot be directly compared to those of Z7 as I often shoot Z6 at much higher ISO settings (it is my to-go camera together with the Df).

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #906 on: July 11, 2019, 20:45:33 »

3. Besides applying the camera profile, LR mystically adjusts exposure ,highlights, shadows, sharpens with a 2.0 radius and reduces both color and luminance noise.

No Z-cam here,  but just as a reminder: there is the possibility of controlling the settings applied at import in Lightroom.  Do you have "Auto Tone" selected here?...
Import>Apply During Import>Develop Settings>Auto Tone
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

fish_shooter

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Salmonography.com
« Reply #907 on: July 11, 2019, 22:47:27 »
Three things struck me in using the Z6 for a few days and looking at the RAW files in LR:
1. The colors are rather saturated compared to those of the D750.
2. Noise levels seems to be higher than those of the D750 at comparable ISO levels.

Go to the photo shooting menu and set picture control to flat and see what happens the next time you import raw files into LR.
Tom

rs

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #908 on: July 12, 2019, 00:27:55 »
Yes, it seems that Lightroom take the camera settings metadata that applies to JPEG files and uses those as the initial settings for raw files.

See this discussion:

https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=128614.msg1118076#msg1118076

Regards,

Richard

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #909 on: July 12, 2019, 09:00:23 »
Thank you very much, Richard, Tom, Keith and Birna.Very helpful.
 I am not sure if I like what LR does but I will change the jpeg settings in-camera. And test some alternatives. I still have PhotoNinja and I am also curious to see what Luminar does.
Peter

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #910 on: July 13, 2019, 22:07:14 »
Today I had my first real test of the Z6 in the field at an event. I must admit that I have to get used to it. The system has its advantages but it is not as snappy as the D750. Especially the startup time is annoying. However, the most disappointing part is the poor battery life. I used EVF only but the battery was dead after appt. 250 shots. Fortunately the d750 batteries work fine so I could finish the job. But I am sure I will get used to it.
Peter

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #911 on: July 17, 2019, 18:46:28 »
Today I had my first real test of the Z6 in the field at an event. I must admit that I have to get used to it. The system has its advantages but it is not as snappy as the D750. Especially the startup time is annoying. However, the most disappointing part is the poor battery life. I used EVF only but the battery was dead after appt. 250 shots. Fortunately the d750 batteries work fine so I could finish the job. But I am sure I will get used to it.

I now have shot a couple of days with the Z6 and I must admit that the camera is not ideal for shooting events. I've missed at least 10 spontaneous moments because of the wake-up time, also after extending the power-on time. I have to half-press the shutter button to activate the EVF and by the time it is awake the moment is gone and/or the camera misfocuses. I can think of some workarounds but I am curious what other people do.
Peter

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #912 on: July 26, 2019, 04:16:12 »
OK, I now have the TZE-01. Some wrong info being put out on some sites.

First, it works very well with my Batis and Loxia lenses on the Z6.  I do not use Eye AF but will get around to trying it.

It does not work with the Techart Pro to AF my LM mount lenses however it does give AF confirmation beep and green square and reports data entered into the non-CPU data so if you already have it it is more functional than my dumb Kipon L/M-N/Z which reports nothing in MF.

Interesting that when I turn on the Z6 the Techart Pro does cycle through its' out/in movement (got me excited  ) . No communication to the motor for AF but MF works.

I do not know why some have said you cannot even take a photo. I will post some with ZM 50 1.5, Leica M 75 f2.5 and VM 35 1.7.

I am not much of a 'tester' .  It will make a difference in what lenses I buy for the Z6.
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #913 on: July 26, 2019, 06:38:38 »
I find that some lenses, like the Laowa 100mm F/2.8 2X Ultra Macro APO Lens for Sony FE require a DUMB adapter, one without a chip, in order for the Nikon Z7 to fire the shutter. The Kipon is a dumb adapter and allows the Laowa 100mm F/2.8 2X Ultra Macro APO Lens for Sony FE to fire.

MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #914 on: July 27, 2019, 13:59:51 »
A little more than a week ago I was able to put the Z6 through the test during a Golf event of my golf club, so I thought to share my current thoughts (it is a work in progress). Although my point of reference is the Nikon DSLR (D750 and D810) I also used other mirrorless systems before (Fuji, Olympus).

Generally speaking I must say that I do not know how much of an improvement the new Z-system is compared to the DSLR systems, in my case the Z6 vs the D750. I do know that “mirrorless” apparently is the way to go and I do think that the larger mount brings some interesting possibilities for the future. However, when I compare the cameras “In the field” it does not really show yet.  At the end of the day, what counts is that I can create a photo that is able to communicate what I saw or felt. Let me tell you that is quite a confession for someone like me who is definitely a gadget-freak!

Does the Z6 allow me to create photos that communicate what I saw or felt! Definitely. But so does the D750 or any other camera. Honestly, comparing the 2 side-by-side, opting for another D750 or a Df would have saved quite a bit of money.

What are - in my opinion for my type of shooting - the biggest advantages and drawbacks in using the Z6 (compared to the D750), especially in shooting events?

The number one advantage is the quiet shutter.  Another is the ability to quickly reset the camera to 3 user modes instead of 2. Another is that the EVF makes it easier to focus manually. I am happy about the quality of the Nikon EVF. There is no noticeable lag and it works well in various lighting circumstances. I also like the ISO button on top. The ISO button on the D750 is positioned rather akwardly which makes changing on the fly more of a challenge (I always hit the wrong button when I keep my eye close to the OVF of the D750).

My number one annoyance is the start-up time between shots. Even after extending the “on” time, the camera switched off quickly, making me miss about 10-15 crucial moments during the week. I haven’t found a good solution yet. My second annoyance is battery life.The camera also heats up quickly compared to the D750. The third one is that the easy-to-accidentally-use-joystick changes the focus point, also making me miss quick shots. I guess there is solution for that but I haven’t looked into that yet. And my last big annoyance: The pronounced shape of the finder blocks the view on the LCD when you hold the camera on a lower level. Very annoying.

Connectivity is an attention area (so not an annoyance).  To my knowledge there are no readers for iPad and tablets yet, so WiFi is the way to go if you are on a trip.  I also do not like the one card slot solution. I was used to using one card for storing raw files and another for jpegs. I used the latter for quick processing and sharing via my iPad. I now have to use the wifi connection in the field. loading photos into my iPad to select and send photos that needed to be shared quickly.

When it comes to size, weight, IQ the two cameras are comparable. The Z6 looks smaller but does not really weight less when you hold the two cameras. In fact, since the D750 is a bit larger, it is more comfortable to hold for a day.

The FTZ works easy but when I mounts the Zeiss, there is some play (not sure if that is the correct word) and I need to set the lens at maximum (or minimum depending on your perspective) aperture to get an aperture reading and to be able to make a shot.

The 24-70mm f4 lens puzzles me. I need to shoot more before being able to say something about it but the AF and/or sharpness seems to be a bit of an issue.

I can’t really comment on image processing yet. To quickly share photos, I decided to use jpeg instead of raw, which I normally use. I was not happy with the results of the Standard setting(s) which resulted in unnatural, oversaturated colors (at least on my calibrated Eizo screen). Using the Neutral setting helped somewhat but I like the results of the D810 and D750 better. I can only guess about the cause of this, including my lack of experience in using the Z6. I haven’t worked with camera/color profiles either.

Due to the Z6 "annoyances", I decided to send my D750 for repair. The camera is now like new again, so I can choose the best one for each situation.  And then there is my little PEN-F for travel and documentary work.

Peter