Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 316383 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #870 on: June 08, 2019, 07:59:13 »
The Techart TZE-01 Sony E to NZ can be ordered and is due to ship in about a week.   I am still awaiting more info on using it with the Techart Pro LM -E for AF of my LM Mount lenses on the Z6.   I will wait until I've had more info from my contact in China before ordering.   I have high hopes for my favourite Batis Lenses and small LM lenses.   At the moment orders can be made on eBay UK, most likely others.   You can also order on Techart site.   Interesting that eBay does not mentioned the rumoured included USB Dock for FW updates.
Cheers,
Tom

I have had one on order from Techart since they first posted ordering. I want to use the Voigtlander Sony E 65mm Macro with the Z7. I have other Voigtlanders (125mm, 180mm, etc.,) but they are in Nikon-F mount, so I can use then now (and I do) with the Nikon adapter. Waiting.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
« Reply #871 on: June 10, 2019, 13:18:49 »
One second hand held experiment backstage of a fitness competition.
Z6 + 24-70/4S

Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #872 on: June 10, 2019, 13:31:42 »
Very succesful experiment

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #873 on: June 12, 2019, 17:59:22 »
Very succesful experiment

Couldn't agree more. The old adage "sharpness is a bourgeois concept" still holds.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #874 on: June 12, 2019, 18:09:44 »
Many people world wide know I have struggled with my second Z6, modified by LifePixel to be "full-spectrum". There have been all sorts of issues with the camera, first and foremost a very strong striping of the images in UV, plus the register distance is way off the mark.

I will not attempt describing these problem on NG as they are amply dealt with on our "sister site" here: https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/3228-nikon-z6z7-as-a-uvir-conversion-the-bad-news/page__fromsearch__1 . Go there and enjoy the 'pleasure' of being an alpha tester for a camera conversion service.

For now, I decided to keep the Z6 -- despite the banding issue (which can be dealt with using the Topaz Denoise plugin, awkward but doable) and its offset register distance. For the latter I decided to add shims to the various adapters I either have, or are constructing, for this camera. The advantage is the shims can be easily removed once the camera has had its register distance corrected, but as of now, the local Nikon repair techs neither have the repair manuals nor the required tools for such operations on any Z. Until the situation improves I can use my custom adaptation.

The native Z lenses are suitable only for IE emulation or IR, and as of now, only the 14-30 and 50/1.8 are usable candidates to this end. Apparently they have sufficient focal adjustment to cope with the bad register distance of my converted Z6.

Today, I commenced the adjustment project by adding 0.6mm shims to the Nikon S (RF) - Z adapter and this measure made my old rangefinder lenses focus properly with a little to spare in the distant region. As focus tends to move closer when using filters, this behaviour is about as good as it gets.

The old rangefinder lenses do have [simple] coatings yet pass some UV. Probably not very deep into the UV band, but sufficient to give the "UV look" to everyday objects. Filter threads are varying from 40.5 to 52mm thus a lot of step rings are required. Fortunately the legendary 8.5cm f/2 Nikkor (made famous by David D. Duncan in the Korean war) has 48mm threads thus the Baader U fits directly. The lens flares badly unless a very long shade is provided, though.

Here is the "new" Z6 with the 8.5cm lens and a makeshift long hood.

I had a lot of fun using this combination today. It felt enjoyable to escape the pressure of getting "perfect" UV photos for a change :D

Lupines run rampant on a road verge. These species are now on the national Black List and it is forbidden to sell stock of them.

The nearby river is in spring spate these days, thus heed the warning sign and mind your steps. Falling into the current might be fatal.

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #875 on: June 21, 2019, 12:58:03 »
I broke my D750 and Oly PEN-F so I am in the market for a new system. For now, I want to purchase only one camera.
The Z6 is my main option but I am wondering how balanced the system is with lenses like the 70-200mm f4, 300mm f4 PF , the 105 1.4E and the Zeus milvus 135mm, all obviously with FTZ Adapter.

Can anyone share their experience, e.g. in using these lenses with the Z6/Z7?

I may add a D850 or Z7 later.

Thanks for your help!

Peter

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #876 on: June 21, 2019, 14:13:06 »
Sorry to hear about your mishaps. Cameras can be replaced however, so hope there was no personal damage inflicted.

The Z6 balances and handles nicely with the 105/1.4E. In fact, I'm taking that very combination along on next trip (leaving for the southern coast tomorrow early). The 300PF does well too. No experience with the other lenses on your list. The DC-Nikkor 135/2 is a perfect match for my Z-cameras though.

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #877 on: June 21, 2019, 16:07:32 »
Sorry to hear about your mishaps. Cameras can be replaced however, so hope there was no personal damage inflicted.

The Z6 balances and handles nicely with the 105/1.4E. In fact, I'm taking that very combination along on next trip (leaving for the southern coast tomorrow early). The 300PF does well too. No experience with the other lenses on your list. The DC-Nikkor 135/2 is a perfect match for my Z-cameras though.

Thank you!
Ps: no personal damage. Just dropped the cameras and the sigma 35mm lens ;-(
Peter

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #878 on: June 22, 2019, 10:13:55 »
I broke my D750 and Oly PEN-F so I am in the market for a new system. For now, I want to purchase only one camera.
The Z6 is my main option but I am wondering how balanced the system is with lenses like the 70-200mm f4, 300mm f4 PF , the 105 1.4E and the Zeus milvus 135mm, all obviously with FTZ Adapter.

Can anyone share their experience, e.g. in using these lenses with the Z6/Z7?

I may add a D850 or Z7 later.

Thanks for your help!
Hi Peter, sorry to read about your mishap with the D750 and Pen-F. I own/handled the 70-200mm f4 with FTZ on the Z6 and that's a very nice combination. Nikon still knows how to design ergonomically sound cameras.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #879 on: June 22, 2019, 23:51:59 »
Used with the full-spectrum Z6, the 21mm f/4 Voigtländer (RF-S mount) shows a weak colour spot on axis,  but with the strong IR filter such as the B+W 093 (Wratten 87C equivalent) , results are acceptable none the less.

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #880 on: June 23, 2019, 00:18:33 »
Looks nice Birna, lots of lines in this image.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #881 on: June 23, 2019, 00:21:42 »
Lifepixel had really botched the conversion of the full-spectrum Z6 by delivering a modified camera badly off the proper register distance. I needed a total of 0.6mm shims to get the camera to focus acceptably. The Z mount itself only allowed 0.1mm of shims were the signal pathway to continue to  be functional, thus the remaining 0.5mm had to be added to the front mount on the various lens adapters.

Looks nice Birna, lots of lines in this image.

Pure UV shows lots of striping, IR less, and false-colour emulated Infrared Ektachrome virtually none. Most of these cases can be dealt with by the Topaz Denoise plugins, or by processing the NEFs in RawTherapee which has a built-in anti-striping filter.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #882 on: June 23, 2019, 01:18:54 »
Pure UV shows lots of striping, IR less, and false-colour emulated Infrared Ektachrome virtually none. Most of these cases can be dealt with by the Topaz Denoise plugins, or by processing the NEFs in RawTherapee which has a built-in anti-striping filter.

I guess Luc was referring to the geometric lines converging towards the center of the image.    ::)
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #883 on: June 23, 2019, 12:01:43 »
I guess Luc was referring to the geometric lines converging towards the center of the image.    ::)
Akira obviously knows my shooting style and preferences very well, so yes I was referring to that non-technical aspect.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #884 on: June 23, 2019, 13:26:32 »
The Techart TZE-01 Sony E to NZ can be ordered and is due to ship in about a week.   I am still awaiting more info on using it with the Techart Pro LM -E for AF of my LM Mount lenses on the Z6.   I will wait until I've had more info from my contact in China before ordering.   I have high hopes for my favourite Batis Lenses and small LM lenses.   At the moment orders can be made on eBay UK, most likely others.   You can also order on Techart site.   Interesting that eBay does not mentioned the rumoured included USB Dock for FW updates.
Cheers,
Tom
I've ordered one today, mainly for the Voigtlander 15/4.5 VME and 125/2.5 APO but also the Sony Zeiss 35/1.4E which still seems to be best mirrorless 35mm out there.

Will also test the LM-E AF adapter :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne