Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 316155 times)

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #855 on: May 01, 2019, 10:18:41 »
The Z series are being heavly discounted here in Australia by retailers during black friday sales and Nikon Australia also have a $A700 cash back special running at the moment. 

Australian retailing is generally weak at this time of a federal election, with a likely change goverment creating uncertainty in the minds of both purchasers and businesses.  Very grim times.

The ILC market is not doing well at all. It is interesting to see how prices of both Z6 and Z7 have dropped during the last weeks.
Hugh Gunn

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #856 on: May 05, 2019, 20:11:49 »
It doesn't seem to get a lot of attention, the New Nikkor Z 24-70mm F/2.8S. Compared to the F-mount version(s) it feels relatively small and light, it handles very well on the Z and from what I have seen so far it is a very good lens. I never liked the original 24-70/2.8G that much, especially at the wide end, and as a consequence it wasn't used a lot and left the house. This one is different and is going to stay.

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #857 on: May 10, 2019, 21:43:20 »
Eddie, nice image of Calatrava architecture in Valencia!

I had my first Z6 outing this afternoon. A guick Jpeg. Z6 + 70-200mm f4.

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #858 on: May 11, 2019, 09:38:43 »
I had my first Z6 outing this afternoon. A guick Jpeg. Z6 + 70-200mm f4.

Nice and colourful jpg Luc, good to see you here.

It seems that a fully 100% reliable BT connection for location data between the Z7 and my iPhone is still a Fata Morgana, but things got better recently with the latest iPhone update.
Once the BT connection is made there is no problem, but re-establishing a connection after switching on the Z7 still fails once in a while. The trick is to switch off the camera, enter the SnapBridge app and after that switch on the camera again.
Another issue is that the SnapBridge app can only work with one camera at the same time, and does not automatically switch between them. Still room for improvement...

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #859 on: May 17, 2019, 12:17:08 »
I´ve upgraded to firmware 2.0 got right away to try the "eye AF". Looking for a tough test I started with 105mm at 1.4 with not so good lighting conditions. It worked very well. It can be fooled if you try hard with eyebrows and glasses at f1.4. Know your limits. Other than those few time when I tried to make it miss -we humans are like that...-it worked very very good. With the 2.8 zooms it didn´t miss a single shot.
   Not happy with that I went to a dance rehearsal. Overall experience with the new af system is very positive -it was already positive before-  Enabling "eye af" during performance worked too. Just be aware that the camera will choose to focus on a face-eye if there is one present no matter were it is on the frame, front of back, center or otherwise. Fast and accurate response. It worked even with the 58mm 1.4 fully open, and that is something to write about.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #860 on: May 17, 2019, 12:23:46 »
It finds faces everywhere and it is faster with lowlights, even just a feet :) . I think it also consumes battery faster but that is a sensation and will have to be tested properly.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #861 on: May 24, 2019, 12:05:24 »
At last -- received and paid the proforma invoice on the 14-30mm f/4 Z from Nikon UK. Thus my copy of it should be on its way ... so strange allocation patterns Nikon Europe has used in the recent years, northern Europe obviously being pushed to the end of the delivery queue. We had the same experience with all Z products so far.

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #862 on: May 24, 2019, 13:24:20 »
It finds faces everywhere and it is faster with lowlights, even just a feet :) . I think it also consumes battery faster but that is a sensation and will have to be tested properly.
Very, very good images, some of them even stunning, with its deep mood and razor composition. Well done!  And yes, batteries drained much faster, became a problem.  LZ

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #863 on: May 24, 2019, 16:11:57 »
It seems that a fully 100% reliable BT connection for location data between the Z7 and my iPhone is still a Fata Morgana, but things got better recently with the latest iPhone update.

My Italian is non-existent so I had to look it up. My Wikipedia says:

Fata Morgana 
"a complex form of superior mirage that is seen in a narrow band right above the horizon.
It is an Italian term named after the Arthurian sorceress Morgan le Fay"

I love that expression - yes that Morgana was a complex and devilish piece of work in the Legends of King Arthur

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #864 on: May 26, 2019, 16:39:42 »
Very, very good images, some of them even stunning, with its deep mood and razor composition. Well done!  And yes, batteries drained much faster, became a problem.  LZ

Thank you.

I have been using the camera in a new show this past two days. I have still some traveling to do but will share some here is anything interesting pops up.

Nikfuson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #865 on: May 28, 2019, 21:16:05 »
Although I am generally not a zoom-person I am still trying to get used to the 24-70/4S. Here's a landie shot at 70mm.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #866 on: May 28, 2019, 23:13:58 »
Z6, 70-200 fl @2.8, silent shooting mode. Manual exposure. AF changing from full auto face and eye C, to dynamic area C. 1600 iso with adjustment in post as needed.
   In entertaining the unthinkable: to sell the d750. Silent in theater has become a must have for me now.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #867 on: May 28, 2019, 23:33:06 »
Z6, 70-200 fl @2.8, silent shooting mode. Manual exposure. AF changing from full auto face and eye C, to dynamic area C. 1600 iso with adjustment in post as needed.
   In entertaining the unthinkable: to sell the d750. Silent in theater has become a must have for me now.

My mistake. This is the image I was talking about.

Now, the previos is  d500, 300mm vrII @ f2.8, 1600 ISO, 1/500th. Doesn´t belong here anyway.... ::)

JohnBrew

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #868 on: May 31, 2019, 12:25:39 »
Yes, it is hard to get rid of old technology that still works well.

In Lisbon at the moment. Plenty of tourists but no Z sitings yet...

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #869 on: June 08, 2019, 06:26:12 »
Awesome news for the Sony users whom are (thinking of) jumping to the Zee cameras, Gabale is working on an electronic Sony FE to Nikon Z mount!!!!

Check the details here at F&M:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1579875/16

This opens up a whole lot of possibilities for those whom invested heavily in Sony E adapters over the last couple of years.

Personally this would mean that one adapter can be used to:
- Adapt my Voigtlander 15/4.5 FE and Zeiss 35/1.4 FE
- Adapt the Voigtlander 125/2.5 APO with the Metabones Canon EF to FE adapter
- Use the Voigtlander close focus (helicoid) Leica M to FE adapter with the 50/1.2, 85/1.2 and 100/1.6 Heligon
- Make the mentioned manual lenses in to AF lenses with the Techart Leica M to FE autofocus adapter

Some examples here on NR where they've mounted a Sony 55/1.8 FE, a Canon EF 50mm and a Leica M lens:
https://nikonrumors.com/2019/01/18/this-is-the-upcoming-techart-autofocus-lens-adapter-for-nikon-z-mount.aspx/#more-131743

I was hoping for such an adapter but didn't think it would materialise so quickly.

And yes this is why I split my adapters, it's all about the Lego  ;D ;D
The Techart TZE-01 Sony E to NZ can be ordered and is due to ship in about a week.   I am still awaiting more info on using it with the Techart Pro LM -E for AF of my LM Mount lenses on the Z6.   I will wait until I've had more info from my contact in China before ordering.   I have high hopes for my favourite Batis Lenses and small LM lenses.   At the moment orders can be made on eBay UK, most likely others.   You can also order on Techart site.   Interesting that eBay does not mentioned the rumoured included USB Dock for FW updates.
Cheers,
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India