Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 316215 times)

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #705 on: March 07, 2019, 19:33:43 »
Honestly, very little.
I have a few things in MyMenu just in case, but rarely do I go in there.  Mostly it is to switch out the manual focus lens info.  Other things like AF settings are in the "i" menu.

Thanks, Andrew. The back of the camera lacks the controls found on some DSLRs, so I wondered if that was an issue in use, or not. Apparently not, which is good news.  :)
Carl

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
« Reply #706 on: March 07, 2019, 19:55:18 »
Thanks, Andrew. The back of the camera lacks the controls found on some DSLRs, so I wondered if that was an issue in use, or not. Apparently not, which is good news.  :)

it hasn't been for me...and I thought it might initially.  I do much prefer to have the AF selection on the camera body, but the touch screen controls make things simpler.

You may find that is not something you like, especially if coming from a DSLR or not having used a mirrorless camera before.  Handling and use are the only way for you to know for sure if it is acceptable to you.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #707 on: March 07, 2019, 21:27:40 »
it hasn't been for me...and I thought it might initially.  I do much prefer to have the AF selection on the camera body, but the touch screen controls make things simpler.

You may find that is not something you like, especially if coming from a DSLR or not having used a mirrorless camera before.  Handling and use are the only way for you to know for sure if it is acceptable to you.

I'm not really in the market for a Z, I'm just nosey.  Thanks for the explanation.  :)
Carl

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #708 on: March 07, 2019, 23:49:56 »
How much menu diving is involved in the daily use of the Z6?

For me the answer is "very little"

There are plenty of buttons which can be used to change commonly used settings.
For things which I do less frequently, the i menu gives you a great way to access the next tier of functions.
I rarely go any further than that.

Use of U1, U2 and U3 modes can also reduce need to poke around in the menus, though it does take some time to set them up to begin with.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #709 on: March 07, 2019, 23:58:09 »
You seem to know your gear by now, impressive pictures :)
Will miss you in Scotland.
Thanks Bent. I looked today at the shutter count. I have using it almost exclusively since I got it. Many shots and situations later I´m getting comfortable with the changes and getting used to the strengths. Great tool. Silent shooting is the biggest news for me.
I always wanted to attend NG meeting but after Granada...I´m going to really miss you all and the chance to meet the others too. I´ll be paying close attention to the development!

Paco, nice teaching aid and images.  I was surprise how quiet the Z6 shutter is EFCS.  Would not even need to go full Silent for much of my music shooting.
Many thanks for sharing.
Tom
My pleasure. I still feel I owe you all many times over and I´m happy to share and contribute  :) . I use EFC most of the time. Quiet and fast, switching to silent when needed.

Honestly, very little.
I have a few things in MyMenu just in case, but rarely do I go in there.  Mostly it is to switch out the manual focus lens info.  Other things like AF settings are in the "i" menu.
Same here. Controls, function buttons and "I" menu take care of things. Only occasionally going into menus. Formatting the memory card and looking at battery status being my main reason to do so. 

Touch screen comes in handy but it is not my main interaction with the camera. One of the things I´m using is assign the fn2 -front camera, down- plus dials to work as the dslr to select mode and focus area. Normally with every other point active to speed up the movement as it suits better my personal needs.

I'm not really in the market for a Z, I'm just nosey.  Thanks for the explanation.  :)
Questions are hard to come by. Please, keep it up  ;)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #710 on: March 10, 2019, 16:58:35 »
I've seen surprisingly little moiré issues with files from either Z6 or Z7. Or maybe I shouldn't be surprised. The first has an AA filter and the second has the extra-high resolution both measures of which combat moiré to a large extent.

Today, doing test shooting for a specific project involving an Olympus OM 28mm f/3.5 lens, I observed strong moiré for the first time. This issue was present in NEF files, but not with the corresponding in-camera jpgs. Thus it appears that the EXPEED 6 processor massages picture in an efficient manner to avoid moiré problems. I ran the NEFs through several RAW converters with similar result.

The entire scene is here, and below a section presented 100% to show strong moiré in the NEFs and the apparent lack of it in the camera-made jpg.

Have any of our Z camera users encountered such issues? Ping back here.

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #711 on: March 10, 2019, 17:17:50 »
I've seen surprisingly little moiré issues with files from either Z6 or Z7. Or maybe I shouldn't be surprised. The first has an AA filter and the second has the extra-high resolution both measures of which combat moiré to a large extent.

Today, doing test shooting for a specific project involving an Olympus OM 28mm f/3.5 lens, I observed strong moiré for the first time. This issue was present in NEF files, but not with the corresponding in-camera jpgs. Thus it appears that the EXPEED 6 processor massages picture in an efficient manner to avoid moiré problems. I ran the NEFs through several RAW converters with similar result.

The entire scene is here, and below a section presented 100% to show strong moiré in the NEFs and the apparent lack of it in the camera-made jpg.

Has any of our Z camera users encountered such issues? Ping back here.

I have seen strong moiré on jeans and mesh-like structures (e.g. grid of Sonos loudspeaker) with the Z7 in combination with both 35/1.8S and 50/1.8S . The higher resolution of the Z7 in no way eliminates moiré, that is a myth.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #712 on: March 10, 2019, 17:33:26 »
Interesting observation. Have you seen what the corresponding in-camera jpgs look like?

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #713 on: March 10, 2019, 17:42:29 »
I assume that the full size jpg is the result of your post processing of the NEF, and not from the in camera jpg. The 100% views show more detail differences than just the moire. Interesting.
Carl

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #714 on: March 10, 2019, 17:54:53 »
Interesting observation. Have you seen what the corresponding in-camera jpgs look like?

No, because of only raw shooting. I might try to reproduce it with raw+jpg shooting.

Getting moiré requires good technique  :) ; just a little defocus or motion blur might hide it, and of course the lens has to be sharp enough.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #715 on: March 11, 2019, 22:25:27 »
Sooner than I had expected , the factory parts I ordered for making an extension ring for native Z lenses arrived.

I have to decide on extension thickness and a suitable platform to mount the parts, but the basic details including the contact pins and signal cable are now in place.

If the project is a success (to be seen), I can provide the part code numbers.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #716 on: March 11, 2019, 22:59:25 »
Sooner than I had expected , the factory parts I ordered for making an extension ring for native Z lenses arrived.

I have to decide on extension thickness and a suitable platform to mount the parts, but the basic details including the contact pins and signal cable are now in place.

If the project is a success (to be seen), I can provide the part code numbers.

Wondering about the power pigtail that is on the pin array. Does it connect into any of the pins? If not, what is it powering? FTZ appears to get everything through the 11 contacts. Maybe it just provides reference voltage?

-Jack

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #717 on: March 11, 2019, 23:02:25 »
Might be power to the AF motor of the lens? Early days yet, I just got the parts and have yet to decide on the final solution to the extension ring.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #718 on: March 11, 2019, 23:20:11 »
On another note, this is an example of the proverbial banding with silent shutter. All else equal, at 1/200th of a second, first shot with efc and second one with silent shutter. Even on the viewfinder the effect was present.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #719 on: March 11, 2019, 23:31:04 »
Might be power to the AF motor of the lens? Early days yet, I just got the parts and have yet to decide on the final solution to the extension ring.

Pins are on the mount side, not lens, correct?