Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 316409 times)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #510 on: January 19, 2019, 00:45:13 »
Hello all !

I am showing some interests toward this camera. So far I was considering this new comer with a placid eye and didn't even try to find out about its potential, at least for my use.

So, having now more free time, I started to read this thread from the beginning this morning, and wow, no so bad, actually !

I already reached the 13th page and the read is leading myself to ask 2 questions :

# Is any M42/Z mount adapter able to give infinity without any glass inside of course ? I would say yes, as the distance from the sensor to the rear glass is much longer than the F system. just to be sure.

# Is the body fitted stabilisation system really efficient even with lens without VR ?

I am going to carry on my reading... ;D

thanks, Francis.

To answer your questions,

1. M42>Z adapter will give infinity focus and there is no glass inside the adapter

2. The VR is pretty effective. I have managed formerly unheard of feats such as shooting 200/2 AFS down to 1/3 sec with good-excellent results. For the similar focal length without VR, perhaps to 1/6 or 1/10. So yes, the built-in VR works.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #511 on: January 19, 2019, 00:55:20 »
By the way, Francis, there will be a good deal of Z cameras in the NG Meet-up in Scotland in May as several of the participants do use them. You will be able to indulge in the new camera range there  :D

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #512 on: January 19, 2019, 03:54:50 »
To answer your questions,

2. The VR is pretty effective. I have managed formerly unheard of feats such as shooting 200/2 AFS down to 1/3 sec with good-excellent results. For the similar focal length without VR, perhaps to 1/6 or 1/10. So yes, the built-in VR works.

I can't claim to have such steady hands, but was fine shooting 300mm at 1/15th in very dim conditions.

Here is a 100% view and the whole photo. This lonely wheelbarrow has been on this job for several months now and is getting close to end of life.

Note that without the rear display folding out and the ability to zoom in on the image in the viewfinder it is difficult for me to photograph in such dim conditions.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #513 on: January 19, 2019, 09:45:02 »
Awesome news for the Sony users whom are (thinking of) jumping to the Zee cameras, Gabale is working on an electronic Sony FE to Nikon Z mount!!!!

Check the details here at F&M:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1579875/16

This opens up a whole lot of possibilities for those whom invested heavily in Sony E adapters over the last couple of years.

Personally this would mean that one adapter can be used to:
- Adapt my Voigtlander 15/4.5 FE and Zeiss 35/1.4 FE
- Adapt the Voigtlander 125/2.5 APO with the Metabones Canon EF to FE adapter
- Use the Voigtlander close focus (helicoid) Leica M to FE adapter with the 50/1.2, 85/1.2 and 100/1.6 Heligon
- Make the mentioned manual lenses in to AF lenses with the Techart Leica M to FE autofocus adapter

Some examples here on NR where they've mounted a Sony 55/1.8 FE, a Canon EF 50mm and a Leica M lens:
https://nikonrumors.com/2019/01/18/this-is-the-upcoming-techart-autofocus-lens-adapter-for-nikon-z-mount.aspx/#more-131743

I was hoping for such an adapter but didn't think it would materialise so quickly.

And yes this is why I split my adapters, it's all about the Lego  ;D ;D
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #514 on: January 19, 2019, 10:01:39 »
Awesome news for the Sony users whom are (thinking of) jumping to the Zee cameras, Gabale is working on an electronic Sony FE to Nikon Z mount!!!!

And yes this is why I split my adapters, it's all about the Lego  ;D ;D

Great  news Jan, better a 'wobbly' (a hair less than rock solid?) lens mount, than no way of making the connection.  The short and large Z mount really pays off for stuff like this.  A wide base makes a good foundation, think pyramid?
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #515 on: January 19, 2019, 10:21:17 »
... And yes this is why I split my adapters, it's all about the Lego  ;D ;D

The Z mount is equivalent to a 'Duplo' brick in the Lego system :D

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #516 on: January 19, 2019, 11:16:30 »
So we have a Dr. Lens in the community and now a Mr. Adapter too. :D
Chris Dees

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #517 on: January 19, 2019, 11:40:22 »
Hahahaha, don't know about that but did adapt Nikon F, Canon EF, Canon FD, Contax G, Leica M, Leica LTM / M39 and M52 lenses for the Sony A7 series in the last 5 years or so, combined with the native FE lenses that's 8 different mounts I've tried with various levels of success.

It's way more fun to explore the new capabilities of a mirrorless platform instead of focussing on what it does less well compared to a DSLR  :) :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #518 on: January 19, 2019, 11:53:50 »
Mirrorless cameras with the appropriate adapters are pretty much lens brand agnostic.  ;D

The Z Series with their 16mm lens mount/sensor register distance and their very wide throat mounts are likely to prove the most agnostic of the mirrorless cameras currently available.

..................................................................................................
It's way more fun to explore the new capabilities of a mirrorless platform instead of focussing on what it does less well compared to a DSLR  :) :)
Hugh Gunn

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #519 on: January 19, 2019, 12:08:03 »
Hahahaha, don't know about that but did adapt Nikon F, Canon EF, Canon FD, Contax G, Leica M, Leica LTM / M39 and M52 lenses for the Sony A7 series in the last 5 years or so, combined with the native FE lenses that's 8 different mounts I've tried with various levels of success.

It's even more fun to take pictures. :D
Chris Dees

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #520 on: January 19, 2019, 13:03:57 »
The in-body image stabilization (IBIS) works with my old AI and pre-AI lenses.

Thank you, Jack for these explanations. the picture of old barrow wheel tells a good news about the stabilization system !

My interest to this camera is growing... ::) :)
Francis Devrainne

rosko

• NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #521 on: January 19, 2019, 13:15:14 »
By the way, Francis, there will be a good deal of Z cameras in the NG Meet-up in Scotland in May as several of the participants do use them. You will be able to indulge in the new camera range there  :D

Indeed !  I've already noticed many Z cam. owners are on the list of the meet-up. That'll be a productive subject.

Can't wait ! :P
Francis Devrainne

rosko

• NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #522 on: January 20, 2019, 11:23:32 »
I just finished the whole reading of this thread.

Just one word : TEMPTING !

Oh dear ! ???

Francis Devrainne

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #523 on: January 20, 2019, 12:17:28 »
Now what about a special version of the FTZ adapter with built-in teleconverter...  :( (D850 / 105VR, built-in stacking for dummies, Helicon Focus)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #524 on: January 20, 2019, 13:29:03 »
Apparently the "dummies approach" worked ... Nice product shot.

Not sure about the idea of putting a TC into the FTZ. You would upset the optical design of a lot of candidate lenses for the TC plus likely getting an issue with register distance. That is, unless the length of that particular FTZ is adjusted to bring the geometry correct and one actually ends up more or less with the same layout as shown in your picture.