Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 316068 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #360 on: December 16, 2018, 12:18:11 »
As I stated earlier, that is the price to pay if the optical path cannot be folded up (via a mirror) and one demands superior quality of the finder.

That makes sense, but the body itself is lighter and smaller.  I wonder why the latest technology is not incorporated to make the lenses any smaller...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #361 on: December 16, 2018, 12:47:29 »
Nikon wanted to make these lenses *better*, not necessarily smaller. Longer optical designs are a known approach to this end.

A wise move in my opinion.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #362 on: December 16, 2018, 13:33:54 »
A few more samples with the Z6.

Firstly, windows in an office building 35/1.8S at f/11, ISO 2500

Secondly, something strange remotely related to the current season, AIS 200-400mm f/4 Zoom-Nikkor ED, 400 ISO (shot during snowfall)

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #363 on: December 16, 2018, 14:12:09 »
The total length of Z body with Z 50/1.8 attached (from the viewfinder eyepiece to the front edge of the lens) is much greater than D750 body with AF-s 50/1.8.  This Z combo is also 65g heavier than the F combo.

Who said mirrorless is smaller and lighter?   :o :o :o
Akira, when I bought the EM-5 it was all about size  ;) .    At the time I was shooting D3s, D700, D300s and D300 with 2 MB-10's in the mix.  Not fun to travel with and as airline restrictions became tighter it meant changing.   Now most FX mirrorless are more or less the same size and weight and lenses are getting bigger.   Due to advancing age I have started using adapted lenses for travel and most walkabout.  The Df/58 f1.4 are still a favourite, even for travel.  I will take a7iii, Df and Pen F on my next trip.  Huge difference from D700,24-70 2.8G, 70-200 2.8G (ii), 85 1.4D, and 35 f1.4 .  I may have the Z6 before my next trip so I shall see what goes and what stays for the trip.
The smaller and lighter has pretty much disappeared from Sony full frame forums   ;D
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #364 on: December 16, 2018, 15:44:23 »
Nikon wanted to make these lenses *better*, not necessarily smaller.

Yeah, they appear to offer a lot of calorie...

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #365 on: December 16, 2018, 15:48:17 »
The smaller and lighter has pretty much disappeared from Sony full frame forums   ;D

Tom, that's true for all the manufactures now.  As you say, even the newer m4/3 lenses are all huge!

That said, the latest Z 50/1.8 made me forget about AF-S 58/1.4 and prompt me to switch to Z... ::) ::) ::)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #366 on: December 16, 2018, 15:49:42 »
A few more samples with the Z6.

Firstly, windows in an office building 35/1.8S at f/11, ISO 2500

Beautiful color!

Wally

• X-Man breaking bad
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #367 on: December 17, 2018, 00:58:58 »
Here's a comparison of OOC 100% crops at high ISO @ 102k with different NR settings. The manual focus is on the lamp stand.
I think Frank was looking for this.

001: low NR, converted in NX-D, no post
002: no NR, converted in NX-D, no post
003: low NR, jpeg straight OOC

Another Austrian Terminator in California

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #368 on: December 17, 2018, 05:35:50 »

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #369 on: December 17, 2018, 06:29:18 »
Tonight I finally took off the 24-70 and put on 55 f/1.2. That lens has not always been easy to focus wide open, but it is so simple on Z6. Super bright! Focus peaking is great for general focus and zoom if needed for precise focus. And with stabilization easy to shoot at 1/30th or lower if needed. The more I use this camera, the more I like it.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #370 on: December 17, 2018, 09:28:42 »
Here's a comparison of OOC 100% crops at high ISO @ 102k with different NR settings. The manual focus is on the lamp stand.
I think Frank was looking for this.

001: low NR, converted in NX-D, no post
002: no NR, converted in NX-D, no post
003: low NR, jpeg straight OOC

thank you, Wally. No NR looks great as input for any Postproduction, but even resize only would make it look smother. Also the ooc JPEG looks phantastic. Remember: this is ISO 100.000 at 100% crop. Thank you. Phantastic!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #371 on: December 17, 2018, 10:11:50 »
Actually, "ISO" 102400 = 100K

Same confusion as in sizes of computer hard drives.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #372 on: December 17, 2018, 13:52:27 »
I used the z6 this saturday to shoot a dance show.

ISO: 3200 works very good, 1600 much better. I´ll be happy with any but I need room for pp. I have shot in both settings and I´m happy with it. Take into consideration that I may print any of the images big, either for expo or for posters for the show so my tolerance may be lower than most.
   AF: I have settle for now with AF-C Dynamic area and 1/2"every other point" active (menu item A5). That gives me a very precise focus that I can move around fast. Note, if you get to the far end to any direction and push the joystick again, the point will go around and appear on the other side of the screen, like pacman. I didn´t know that but I used it a few occasions. Full area with face recognition may work sometimes but It can focus on random places if no obvious face is on the frame.
    RAW: lossless compressed 12 bit. Gives maximum speed and buffer. I have not encounter any limitations. Rather, I came home with waaay too many images. 12 fps even in silent mode
    WB: as usual for me I set it to K3500. AWB can be all over the place and this way I have a good starting point to set as needed.
     Finder: menu d8 "apply settings to live view" on and neutral picture control makes for a reliable preview. Still, images can be darker than the evf suggest so I have to compensate, a bit, accordingly. D11 "view all in continuous mode" also ON. Other, viewfinder brightness is set to "auto" and is working well. I may try the manual compensation to better match what is going on on stage...will see.
     Stealth: in the set up menu, control panel brightness was set to 1 and later to completely off. I became noiseless and invisible  8) that bring me to silent shutter. The most appealing feature of the camera for my needs. Luck will have it, this particular show had a lot of intimate silent scenes. I had a blast shooting away worry free. At some point and just for fun, I moved at less than 3 feet from one of the people in the audience. He didn´t even notice and I was doing 12 fps  8)

I have save all this to U3. Is the closest to M. Only drive mode can not be saved.

I had the d500 with me. I didn´t use it other than to compare at the beginning. Still a brilliant camera for shows. Sound made the cut.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #373 on: December 17, 2018, 14:13:07 »
Paco, Paco, Paco!
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Akira