Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 316073 times)

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #345 on: December 15, 2018, 13:46:47 »
True enough with any Arca-type clamp I've tried. However, as one can just slide off the whole package from the clamp then remove the camera, it is a minor annoyance only.

I have several third-party mount adapters for the Z system, and they usually lack the tripod mount option thus cause no additional problems. At the same time, the lack of direct tripod support means these adapters are mainly useful with non-CPU shorter lenses, or with (non-CPU) long lenses having their own tripod collar.

Yes the issue is non-existent when exercising a little patience. For attaching the camera clamped on a the tripod with lenses like the 105/1.4E mounted  this adapter was mandatory to me.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #346 on: December 15, 2018, 22:37:10 »
ot really done any in-depth testing for the high ISO speeds yet, plus Photo Ninja hasn't been updated to process Z6 NEFs (only does Z7 files). Thus I have to fall back on the jpgs and who knows how these have been doctored by the EXPEED 6 machinery inside the z6.

50K (51200) ISO is a calibrated setting and works pretty well as assessed from the jpgs.  Same can be said for the Hi ISO's, however colour saturation starts to decline and image noise is more visible. Still, the 100K(102400) ISO would be useful for the odd shot if required.

Forgive me for asking the obvious question, but how do you access the settings above 51,200? They don’t show as available from ISO button+rear dial. I can’t find any place where they are limited. I did find limits which apply to autoISO, but that doesn’t seem to work either.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #347 on: December 15, 2018, 23:05:48 »
Forgive me for asking the obvious question, but how do you access the settings above 51,200? They don’t show as available from ISO button+rear dial. I can’t find any place where they are limited. I did find limits which apply to autoISO, but that doesn’t seem to work either.

I guess the ISO higher than 51200 (extended range) is displayed as something like H 0.5, H 1.0, Hi 2.0, instead of the actual ISO value.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #348 on: December 15, 2018, 23:29:36 »
The question was how to get these values ... go to Photo Shooting Menu, select ISO settings. Turn auto ISO off and you are free to dial in any setting wanted.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #349 on: December 15, 2018, 23:34:58 »
The question was how to get these values ... go to Photo Shooting Menu, select ISO settings. Turn auto ISO off and you are free to dial in any setting wanted.

I thought that Jack already tried with the Auto ISO off as well and just doesn't see the actual ISO value.   :o :o :o

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #350 on: December 15, 2018, 23:58:03 »
The Hi (and Low) settings are "ISO equivalents", as they are not calibrated. The camera reports them as Hi 0.3,Hi 0.7,Hi 1,Hi 2, and Lo 0.7,Lo 0.3,Low 1, respectively.

Raw converters and EXIF readers typically cast these value into ISO numbers for convenience, but this is an approximation only.

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
« Reply #351 on: December 16, 2018, 00:04:41 »
I finally finished my initialed use of the Z6 and 24-70/4S lens.  I hope it is ok, that I post the link to it here.  If not, let me know and I will delete it or the mods can remove the post.

https://bestlightphoto.blogspot.com/2018/12/nikon-z6-and-24-704s-z-mount-lens.html
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Wally

• X-Man breaking bad
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #352 on: December 16, 2018, 00:48:35 »
EFCS needs to set to OFF though otherwise your upper ISO limit is 51k
Another Austrian Terminator in California

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #353 on: December 16, 2018, 00:52:35 »
That's true. Not easy to keep memorising all the caveats and conditions associated with the rich feature set of the Z models.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #354 on: December 16, 2018, 01:18:27 »
I thought that Jack already tried with the Auto ISO off as well and just doesn't see the actual ISO value.   :o :o :o

Ah, silent shutter was set to on. Did not realize that was related to high ISO.
H 2 is pretty grainy with High ISO noise reduction off. With NR on it becomes a little  smeary, but potentially useful in a pinch. Not a huge amount worse than 51k.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #355 on: December 16, 2018, 05:41:36 »
Good work Andrew - thank you for this.  Thanks also for your Z6 & OMD observations in your review.

(And thank you to Birna and everyone else that have shared their Z6 / Z7 experiences with us thus far.)

I finally finished my initialed use of the Z6 and 24-70/4S lens.  I hope it is ok, that I post the link to it here.  If not, let me know and I will delete it or the mods can remove the post.

https://bestlightphoto.blogspot.com/2018/12/nikon-z6-and-24-704s-z-mount-lens.html
Hugh Gunn

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #356 on: December 16, 2018, 11:03:39 »
Good work Andrew - thank you for this.  Thanks also for your Z6 & OMD observations in your review.

(And thank you to Birna and everyone else that have shared their Z6 / Z7 experiences with us thus far.)
+1
Interesting to see that Nikon is not going for a big space saving, actually the optics has grown in size.

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #357 on: December 16, 2018, 11:52:41 »
+1
Interesting to see that Nikon is not going for a big space saving, actually the optics has grown in size.

IMHO size comparisons make the most sense if referenced from the sensor plane. Measured in this way,  the new 50/1.8S is only a tad longer than the 50/1.8AFS including the FTZ adapter.
With the sensor plane markers aligned, it becomes obvious how much the mirrorless Z cameras have grown behind the sensor. 

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #358 on: December 16, 2018, 12:02:43 »
IMHO size comparisons make the most sense if referenced from the sensor plane. Measured in this way,  the new 50/1.8S is only a tad longer than the 50/1.8AFS including the FTZ adapter.
With the sensor plane markers aligned, it becomes obvious how much the mirrorless Z cameras have grown behind the sensor.

The total length of Z body with Z 50/1.8 attached (from the viewfinder eyepiece to the front edge of the lens) is much greater than D750 body with AF-s 50/1.8.  This Z combo is also 65g heavier than the F combo.

Who said mirrorless is smaller and lighter?   :o :o :o

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #359 on: December 16, 2018, 12:04:22 »
As I stated earlier, that is the price to pay if the optical path cannot be folded up (via a mirror) and one demands superior quality of the finder.