Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 316218 times)

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #255 on: December 07, 2018, 09:00:37 »
Birna, bravo. Again
+1
Your past hobby with cars is not forgotten ;)
Very nice picture

Hermann

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #256 on: December 07, 2018, 11:01:53 »
B, ZZZ0411 is fascinating  ....my eyes know what they are looking at but don't want to see. I have settled on it being a close up of polar bear fur in a snowstorm.
I have gone back to the image a few times and now that is all I can see. And yes I realise I am talking utter nonsense.

That's funny. When I looked at that shot last night I couldn't stop looking and seeing all sorts of things in that image. Went back to it first think in the morning. Same again.

A great shot. Fascinating.

Hermann

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #257 on: December 07, 2018, 11:36:47 »
I'm still on the fence with regard to the Z6/Z7. There's a lot of stuff I really like about these cameras, and ever since using the 1V1 I really wanted to have a more capable mirrorless camera. Even tried an Olympus 4/3 for a while that didn't really work for me as I'm too used to the Nikon UI and couldn't be bothered with the Olympus UI. So the Z6/Z7 seems like the answer, especially because it can take all my old AIS lenses via the FTZ adapter. I'm not even bothered about the lack of EXIF data when using the adapter (none of my old manual lenses are chipped). I'm not a pro, and if the EDIF data are missing on my shots I'm not too worried.

However, most of my current F mount lenses are DX. I also rely, at least to some extent, of the reach of the smaller sensor for wildlife photography. I know I can shoot the new Nikons in DX mode, however, with the Z6 (the model I'm most interested in) that would cut the resolution to ~10 megapixels. So I'd have to either get a couple of FX lenses or rely on my old AIS lenses.

That leads to my question: I've seen quite a few shots taken with AIS lenses - but how easy is it to focus them on the Z6? And how fast can you focus an old manual lens on the Z6/Z7? I find focussing my old lenses on my Nikon DSLRs pretty tedious as I find I can't really rely on the green dot, especially not in bad light.

The lenses I'm thinking of are my old longer lenses like the AIS 5.6/400 IF-ED, the 4.5/300 IF-ED and possibly the 5.6/600 IF-ED, but also the 4/105 Micro. I'd also use all my other old AIS lenses of course, like the 2/35mm, the 2,8/55mm micro and so on ... All these lenses have been sitting in my cupboard for years now, and getting a Nikon Z may give them a new lease of life. If the focusing is fast enough and reliable.

Hermann

elsid

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #258 on: December 07, 2018, 11:39:11 »
Hello Birna,
Having seen you drive on the mountains of Crete, I can imagine how you do it on your mountains.
Great shot, unique.
Never measure the height of a mountain until you reach its top

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #259 on: December 07, 2018, 11:42:08 »
Hermann: most older Nikkors are very easy to focus on the Z cameras. Even the fast f/1.2 lenses.

That being said, I have no problems with these lenses on my Df either.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #260 on: December 07, 2018, 12:42:26 »
Mondrian in the winter.

Z7, AFS 200/2 + FTZ.

aerobat

• NG Supporter
  • Daniel Diggelmann, Switzerland
« Reply #261 on: December 07, 2018, 13:11:05 »
Piet Mondrian - well seen Birna!
Daniel Diggelmann

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
« Reply #262 on: December 07, 2018, 13:22:35 »
I'm still on the fence with regard to the Z6/Z7. There's a lot of stuff I really like about these cameras, and ever since using the 1V1 I really wanted to have a more capable mirrorless camera. Even tried an Olympus 4/3 for a while that didn't really work for me as I'm too used to the Nikon UI and couldn't be bothered with the Olympus UI. So the Z6/Z7 seems like the answer, especially because it can take all my old AIS lenses via the FTZ adapter. I'm not even bothered about the lack of EXIF data when using the adapter (none of my old manual lenses are chipped). I'm not a pro, and if the EDIF data are missing on my shots I'm not too worried.

However, most of my current F mount lenses are DX. I also rely, at least to some extent, of the reach of the smaller sensor for wildlife photography. I know I can shoot the new Nikons in DX mode, however, with the Z6 (the model I'm most interested in) that would cut the resolution to ~10 megapixels. So I'd have to either get a couple of FX lenses or rely on my old AIS lenses.

That leads to my question: I've seen quite a few shots taken with AIS lenses - but how easy is it to focus them on the Z6? And how fast can you focus an old manual lens on the Z6/Z7? I find focussing my old lenses on my Nikon DSLRs pretty tedious as I find I can't really rely on the green dot, especially not in bad light.

The lenses I'm thinking of are my old longer lenses like the AIS 5.6/400 IF-ED, the 4.5/300 IF-ED and possibly the 5.6/600 IF-ED, but also the 4/105 Micro. I'd also use all my other old AIS lenses of course, like the 2/35mm, the 2,8/55mm micro and so on ... All these lenses have been sitting in my cupboard for years now, and getting a Nikon Z may give them a new lease of life. If the focusing is fast enough and reliable.

Hermann

The peaking and punch in focus make manual lenses super easy to use.  Definitely try one out to see for yourself.  Well worth it in my opinion.  Since getting my Z6, I have not picked up and used my EM5.2 or PEN-F.  It's only been a few weeks, but still that is a telling thing for me.  I want to use it everywhere!!
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #263 on: December 07, 2018, 16:14:05 »

Hermann

A few quick thoughts - if Z series is successful (I think it has been so far) there likely will be APC format Z cameras in the future.

Focusing manual lenses on the Z6 is as good or better than DSLR. The ability to zoom the viewfinder with the touch of a button is very helpful.

In body image stabilization makes it possible to calm shaky hands or take photos in low light. I was just trying some shots this morning and it looks like with some luck - exposures handheld at 1/2 second are possible.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #264 on: December 07, 2018, 16:20:17 »
Is there a possibility to use the Auto Focus for AF-D lenses in the future?

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
« Reply #265 on: December 07, 2018, 16:24:48 »
Is there a possibility to use the Auto Focus for AF-D lenses in the future?

Only if someone makes another FTZ like adapter with a screw drive motor in it.  Possible, but the likelihood of that is very slim IMHO.  I think we'd get an FTZ like adapter with an aperture follower on it way before non AF-S AF adapter is available. 

I'd really love that and for Nikon to update the Z camera firmware to accept that or barring that, at least allow the aperture wheel to record the same aperture as on the lens, like the Df does.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #266 on: December 07, 2018, 17:21:42 »
Thanks for replying Andrew.  Let's see what the future will bring.  I am still in the 'experimenting phase' with the D850 so there is no urgent need to step into the new Nikon mirrorless world.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #267 on: December 07, 2018, 17:25:45 »
The new Z cameras seem to be able in replacing my Sony bodies but am patiently waiting for the necessary wide angle lenses and adapters to make a jump worthwhile.

Pleased to see Novoflex added the NIKZ/LEM adapter to my favourite black coated adapter lineup:
https://www.novoflex.de/de/produkte/adapter/adapterfinder/adapterfinder-produkte/nikon-z-spiegellos/adapter-leica-m-objektive-an-nikon-z-kameras.html?rgerg=31

Fits my split adapter approach perfectly as I've normalised several mounts to Leica M :)

Btw I did not like the other Novoflex adapters, using completely different materials, fit was too tight and mounting was not as smooth as the black coated adapters:
https://www.novoflex.de/de/produkte/adapter/adapterfinder/adapterfinder-produkte/camera/nikon-z-spiegellos/objectiv/38.html

Cheers,
Jan Anne

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #268 on: December 07, 2018, 17:29:47 »
Did anybody already find a decent sensor comparison between de Z6 & 7 vs the Sony bodies?

Looking for the best balance between high ISO and DR and DxO is busy relocating which apparently takes them ages to do  ::)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #269 on: December 07, 2018, 18:07:20 »

Hermann

I've tried a Z7 with a few manual lenses, including the 600/5.6 on a monopod, last weekend with satisfying results. I find it easier to focus than on the DF. With the 100% zoom and 200% zoom on the focus point with F1 and F2, focus is pretty obvious, despite the amplified shake of the stabilization. At least you know it works :).

If the rain stops, I'll go out again this weekend and can post a few pictures.
Bruno Schröder