Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 316408 times)

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #135 on: November 23, 2018, 05:01:19 »
is there going to be an official spreadsheet or thread where we list out the compatible f-mount lenses?  I have the original Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 VC and just tested it on the Z6.  more hunting in low light than on a DSLR,  but it did  AF, meter just fine.  In case anyone wants to know about that lens. 
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #136 on: November 23, 2018, 06:09:08 »
is there going to be an official spreadsheet or thread where we list out the compatible f-mount lenses?  I have the original Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 VC and just tested it on the Z6.  more hunting in our light then than on a DSLR,  but it did  AF, meter just fine.  In case anyone wants to know about that lens.

Sounds like a good idea. I can create a shared spreadsheet tomorrow morning. The official Nikon list is not completely accurate.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #137 on: November 23, 2018, 10:25:07 »
Rather, completely inaccurate.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #138 on: November 23, 2018, 13:44:02 »
Maybe just some naughty misbehaviour on the part of the manufacturer in order to drive up sales of the new Z-mount lenses when they arrive?

Or am I just a cynical old man?  I remember being told many years ago that film era lenses would not properly suffice for use on DSLRs when they first became available.  Yet such "film" lenses are still alive and well and giving good service on DSLRs when in the hands of those who know how to use them . . .

Rather, completely inaccurate.
Hugh Gunn

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #139 on: November 23, 2018, 13:58:53 »
It all depends on the parameters used for the assessment of such lenses. Old lenses might not always appear critically "sharp" on  a modern, high-pixel count camera, but will this imply it is useless? Absolutely not. It just behaves differently and deliver another kind of imagery. If heavy emphasis is placed on the ability to do autofocus many old lenses will "fail", but they can still be focused in the old-fashioned manual way. And so on.

I have almost exclusive used old, manual-focus lenses on my Df for many years (since 2013) and have obtained the occasional useful image during those years. There is no reason a Z camera shouldn't be able to deliver similar results.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #140 on: November 23, 2018, 14:21:07 »
it is the drawing, the style, how the lens renders that can make a huge difference.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #141 on: November 23, 2018, 14:31:43 »
"Sleepless in SeattleGjøvik"

The party I attended last night was pretty hectic and true to ancient Nordic tradition, rivers of fire water heated our bodies and influenced our souls. Back at the hotel, I found myself having trouble getting sleep, an unusual situation for me, thus at the middle of night (0400) grabbed the Z7 with its 24-70/4 attached, and started documenting the neighbourhood.

Perhaps due to the imbibed spirits, or being cross-eyed by tiredness, I could hardly see anything in the viewfinder thus the Z7 was transformed into an advanced point-and-shoot camera. Outside it was very dark so ISO had to be set to 12800 in order to keep shutter speeds around 1/20-1/30 sec with the lens "wide" open f/4.

This is one of the night scenes. Jpg straight from the camera, just converting to sRGB and downscaling to 2000pix wide. The 100% crop shows the quality delivered under such adverse conditions (on my behalf, and the low light level).

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #142 on: November 23, 2018, 15:40:42 »
Later same troubled night, I tried the AF functionality by focusing on Venus, as our sister planet shone brightly and high on the [very] early morning sky. Again, 12800 ISO, "wide" open 24-70/4, even more shaky hands. Due to the dawn light, shutter speeds now crept up to 1/100 sec or thereabout.

Venus - morning star. Shot at 70mm focal setting. Entire frame, and 100% crops of Venus itself and image corner. Apparently the 24-70 is a decent performer. My eyes were even worse then on the previous occasion and too early for morning coffee.

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #143 on: November 23, 2018, 18:07:08 »
... I tried the AF functionality by focusing on Venus....
wow, I'm impressed it focused on such a tiny dot

that could save a lot of time when preparing for an astrophotography session
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #144 on: November 24, 2018, 09:46:52 »
OK, a big question, (and I realize early days) , anyone planning on replacing their Df with a Z6/7?   I love the Df but financially it might have to go to help fund new system.   I use the MF Aids on my Sony a7rii and a7iii quite often with adapted lenses.  I will keep the D500 for action, birds and sport.  A couple of Df owners feel the metering, AWB, auto ISO and skin tones are at least as good on the Z6 and Z7 , thoughts?
Cheers,
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #145 on: November 24, 2018, 10:22:34 »
My current plan is to keep the Z7 mainly for close-up and photomacrographic (stacking) tasks, while my Z6 (en route at present) will be combined with my Df for everything else.

I embellished the Z7 with a nice red "7" (nail polish) and already borrowed the corresponding green stuff from my girl friend to do likewise a "6" on the Z6. The bodies are virtually identical thus colour-coding them seems a prudent and practical move.

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #146 on: November 24, 2018, 12:41:08 »
OK, a big question, (and I realize early days) , anyone planning of replacing their Df with a Z6/7?   I love the Df but financially it might have to go to help fund new system.   I use the MF Aids on my Sony a7rii and a7iii quite often with adapted lenses.  I will keep the D500 for action, birds and sport.  A couple of Df owners fell the metering, AWB, auto ISO and skin tones are at least as good on the Z6 and Z7 , thoughts?
Cheers,
Tom

I'm in the process of selling my Df (and probably my D500) in favour of the Z6. Sensor, IBIS and focus peaking are other reasons to get the Z6.
The more user reports I read the more I'm convinced the Z6 (and Z7) is a terrific camera. I've no idea why those you-tubers are tumbling over each other to burn the Z's to the ground.
I'll keep my D850 for action, birds and sport and when I need the second slot.
Chris Dees

paul_k

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Paul_k
« Reply #147 on: November 24, 2018, 13:20:09 »
OK, a big question, (and I realize early days) , anyone planning of replacing their Df with a Z6/7?   I love the Df but financially it might have to go to help fund new system.   I use the MF Aids on my Sony a7rii and a7iii quite often with adapted lenses.  I will keep the D500 for action, birds and sport.  A couple of Df owners fell the metering, AWB, auto ISO and skin tones are at least as good on the Z6 and Z7 , thoughts?
Cheers,
Tom

I regret to say I do :( even if I really really like my DF
Bought it shortly after its introduction, partly out of GAS, partly especially for use with the several pre Ai and AI lenses
I still have lying around

Having shot with classic film bodies like the F2AS and FE made the old fashion look a welcome blast from the past,
while as a former film shooter the dial based UI was a non issue
The relatively small body is a near prefect, compared to my D3 pr D800 much better balanced, set up with eg
my small sized manual focus 1.4/50mm AI, 2.0/28mm Ai or 2.0/50mm pre AI Nikkor H Auto lenses
But looking back over the years I find I used it relatively very little, preferring my D800's for my 'serious'/professional work,
saving the DF for use at 'special occasions' (resulting in only around 8800 clicks in 4 years)

Recently got a Z6, after reading enthusiastic user reviews (see eg Ross Harvey) about the focus peaking on the Z7, and playing
with in particular that option at several NPS Clean and Check days, with my some of my own manual lenses I brought along
While manual focusing, even with the standard viewing screen, on the DF in my experience already is much better then with
my D3 and D800, the Z6/7 focus peaking is superior in that respect
(Never tried focus peaking on my D850 but that is only possible in Live View, which I never use, that's not a viable option for me)
As a consequence I don't need the DF for that purpose anymore

While I don't need the Z6's video, nor its 12 fps, having a (compared to the D850 much better implemented and usable)
'silent shutter' option is a very welcome option (obviously much more silent then the 'Quiet' setting on the DF)
AF of course (just look at the difference in price) isn't on the same level as the D850, but really isn't as bad as many 'reviewers'
try to make believe, and in my non scientific opinion at least on par with the D800 (even under less then optimal light)
High ISO and IQ are at least on par with the DF (and maybe even D850, haven't tested that yet)
Also I like the EVF much better then I had anticipated before

I could keep the DF as a maybe redundant, but yet cherished body, but I already have kept my Hasselblad 500CM, F2AS, FE, F90X and F100 for that
So 'head over heart' tells me to better sell my DF ........ :'(

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
« Reply #148 on: November 24, 2018, 13:55:32 »
OK, a big question, (and I realize early days) , anyone planning on replacing their Df with a Z6/7?   I love the Df but financially it might have to go to help fund new system.   I use the MF Aids on my Sony a7rii and a7iii quite often with adapted lenses.  I will keep the D500 for action, birds and sport.  A couple of Df owners feel the metering, AWB, auto ISO and skin tones are at least as good on the Z6 and Z7 , thoughts?
Cheers,
Tom

As much as I'm loving the Z6, there are still some lenses that the Df can handle that the Z cannot.  Instead, I'll most likely be selling the D750.

The Df will probably go to the grave with me unless it dies before I do.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #149 on: November 24, 2018, 14:51:58 »
The Z cameras have admittedly grown upon me over the months since I first used them. However, pleasant as they might be, there is a weak spot in my mindset for the Df. After all, the Df was the camera that made photography after all these years once again enjoyable and fun. The Z's are in that context more matter-of-fact machines. I confess to like them, absolutely, and more than I had imagined initially. However, at present that's where the relationship ends. Maybe the arrival of the Noct 58/0.95 precipitates yet another change,