Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 316069 times)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2018, 14:50:42 »
I ordered the older model as I don't need the bells and whistles accompanying the new product.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2018, 15:20:23 »
By the way, here is proof that Nikon's list of "incompatible"  lenses is in error. Taken with the 400mm f/4.5 Nikkor-Q and the AU-1 focusing adapter, a combination on the official no-no list.The lens is tack sharp, but its age is shown by the chromatic aberrations fortunately most of which are dealt with by Photo Ninja.

View from my veranda. I no longer live in the city :D

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2018, 22:02:34 »
I spent a bleak and soaking wet November days shooting the new 35/1.8 Nikkor S-line on my Z7. I do not like some of the handling details of this, or the other S-line designs, as the casing is pretty slick and tend to offer too little firm grip when lenses are changed. Nikon could do well to look back  (in anger) at the [chrome] mounting rings of the older Nikkors, which in this respect were far superior.

I shot only in AF modes) whilst trying to come to grips with all the new AF modes this camera has to offer. Suffice it to say that towards the day I still struggled although AF results started to get closer to my intended outcome. I probably have yo yield and read the manual. Sigh.

Also found out while the idea of using the rear screen not only for monitoring but draw on its touch-screen capability to focus and take a picture by point-and-tap sounded great, the introduced movement of the camera and lowering of image quality was quite evident.

AF focusing was very quick at daytime with the 35 lens when I got everything right, however as darkness descended the focusing became noticeably slower.

The new 35/1.8 Nikkor is a very good performer of anyone should doubt this. Here is a snapshot of Mari, one of the nice shop hands of Interfoto, my main photo gear dealer. This impromptu image was taken with the 35/1.8 at f/3.5, 1/25 sec, ISO 800, and basically coming straight off the camera. White balance is auto from the camera, no later change. For a wide-angle, this is really good performance in my book. The bad lighting and the slow shutter speed are not conducive to top image quality I'd surmise.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2018, 22:30:36 »
Other tidbit of information is I now have been allocated a Z6 so that camera will arrive in the not too-distant future. The Nikon rep I spoke to had noticed my annoyance of being at the rear end of the delivery queue for the Z7 thus probably wanted to improve our relationship? I appreciated that gesture.

Perhaps even more importantly, I spoke to my Nikon repair tech and had him order a handful of factory spare Z bayonets. For once the spare prices weren't that bad. The Dremel era is not over by the arrival of the Z models. I plan on modifying a lot of the exotics in my cupboards for use on a Z body. With some luck these parts arrive within a few weeks.

I did go through the spare parts diagram and drawings of all parts of the Z7 together  with my repair tech, but all pages were watermarked as 'secret' by Nikon thus I couldn't copy them despite the temptation to do so.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2018, 23:10:00 »
A few more examples with the 35/1.8 + Z7 package from downtown Oslo today. 800 ISO and camera run on auto everything. These are jpgs delivered by the Z7. No change except for downsizing to fit the NG pages plus setting the profile to sRGB.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2018, 23:42:07 »
A few more examples with the 35/1.8 + Z7 package from downtown Oslo today. 800 ISO and camera run on auto everything. These are jpgs delivered by the Z7. No change except for downsizing to fit the NG pages plus setting the profile to sRGB.

The first image looks amazing with both the sky and the tiny light bulbs (LEDs?) are exposed correctly with the light bulbs retaining their incandescent color.

The colors of the sign in the second image looks impressive.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2018, 23:52:03 »
The quality of the 35/1.8S holds up for close-ups too.

f/3.5, 1/25 sec, 800  ISO, windy.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2018, 00:03:27 »
I was amazed of the amount of image detail retained by hand-held exposures around 1/6-1/8 sec with the 35/1.8 S Nikkor.

This is from the Central Station, Oslo. 800 ISO and f/4, 1/8 sec. Direct jpg from camera, just downsampled and converted to sRGB. Everything on automatic.

Wally

• X-Man breaking bad
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2018, 02:03:22 »
Other tidbit of information is I now have been allocated a Z6 so that camera will arrive in the not too-distant future. The Nikon rep I spoke to had noticed my annoyance of being at the rear end of the delivery queue for the Z7 thus probably wanted to improve our relationship? I appreciated that gesture.

Just received confirmation that my Z6 ships in the next few hours (California time). FYI I ordered within the first 3 hours after orders were accepted.
Can't wait  ;D
Another Austrian Terminator in California

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2018, 05:37:26 »
Excellent! I just ordered a 35 f/1.8 DX, I'm anxious to see how it renders on my D7200.
Carl

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2018, 06:23:49 »
Birna, Lloyd Chambers has reported significant focus shift with this lens.  Do you have any thoughts or observations on this matter?

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2018, 07:01:03 »
The first of the Z6 bodies are due here in Melbourne today. 

Most high street Melbourne shops now seem to have Z7's, FTZ's, and the 24-70mm & 35mm Z type lenses.

Just received confirmation that my Z6 ships in the next few hours (California time). FYI I ordered within the first 3 hours after orders were accepted.
Can't wait  ;D
Hugh Gunn

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2018, 09:01:00 »
Birna, Lloyd Chambers has reported significant focus shift with this lens.  Do you have any thoughts or observations on this matter?

Haven't seen anything of the sort. The images so far have been crisply focused precisely as intended.

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2018, 10:49:31 »
The Z7 normally focusses at the selected aperture from wide-open until f/5.6, so in typical use focus shift should not be an issue. Only when the aperture is changed after focussing it might become an issue.
I specifically checked my own 35/1.8S  for focus shift, and don't see anything that I would call significant.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2018, 11:23:42 »
Just did a few tests in which I focused at a small aperture and shot wide open, and vice versa. No change in focus as far as I could ascertain, with the caveat these were images in the not so distant range. If the opportunity arises I might rerun the exercise for landscapes as well.