Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 316156 times)

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2018, 14:58:11 »
In lighting conditions where using f/1.4 one requires ISO 102400 to get an acceptable exposure? I find that difficult to believe that there would be reliable focusing under such circumstances. Of course it also depends on the directionality of the light and the contrast on the subject. The subject, of course, may move in a theatre etc.

It may not be too far fetched, given the fact that a hybrid AF system only need a sufficient amount of contrast to be able to lock focus.   Olympus has been doing it for quite some time in the m43 bodies (starting with the EM1.1) and Sony for a while as well.  The PDAF is superior for knowing which direction to start focusing and contrast is superior for being able to lock down precise focus without the need for calibration.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2018, 15:13:37 »
We have to make do with the actual lenses available until the might new 58/0.95 comes along??

:)

With the Z7, I had no problems doing AF with the 105/1.4 AFS at f/1.4, 1/8 sec, 25600 ISO.

Ok, that sounds very good.

On the DSLR side, I find the 105/1.4 to be one of the best autofocusing lenses (not necessarily fast but very precise).

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2018, 15:17:21 »
It may not be too far fetched, given the fact that a hybrid AF system only need a sufficient amount of contrast to be able to lock focus.   Olympus has been doing it for quite some time in the m43 bodies (starting with the EM1.1) and Sony for a while as well.  The PDAF is superior for knowing which direction to start focusing and contrast is superior for being able to lock down precise focus without the need for calibration.

Nikon Z6/Z7 don't use CDAF when an F mount lens is used (including the 105/1.4); only the PDAF sensors are used. That's why I am wondering how is it possible to work in such lighting conditions. I would expect the native lenses to be more confident in such circumstances because the image pixels are used to focus so there is more light that is used for focusing.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #93 on: November 19, 2018, 15:50:21 »
When my Z6 arrives, I'll do a field test again to ascertain where the darkness limits are to any reliable focusing at all.

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
« Reply #94 on: November 19, 2018, 16:35:20 »
Nikon Z6/Z7 don't use CDAF when an F mount lens is used (including the 105/1.4); only the PDAF sensors are used. That's why I am wondering how is it possible to work in such lighting conditions. I would expect the native lenses to be more confident in such circumstances because the image pixels are used to focus so there is more light that is used for focusing.

You are correct.  Wasn't thinking about that.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #95 on: November 19, 2018, 18:26:13 »
In lighting conditions where using f/1.4 one requires ISO 102400 to get an acceptable exposure? I find that difficult to believe that there would be reliable focusing under such circumstances. Of course it also depends on the directionality of the light and the contrast on the subject. The subject, of course, may move in a theatre etc.

When I used the D5 for a week I had such situations and I did not have an EVF to simulate actual exposure. The D5 AF was able to focus in such situations although I could use 28k to 36k most of the time, some shadow parts of the stage allowed to explore 80k and 100k...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #96 on: November 19, 2018, 18:29:34 »
When my Z6 arrives, I'll do a field test again to ascertain where the darkness limits are to any reliable focusing at all.

thank you, very interesting
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Wally

• X-Man breaking bad
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #97 on: November 19, 2018, 19:33:41 »
First Z6 OOC @20000 ISO, all Auto, only resized and sRGB
Another Austrian Terminator in California

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: November 19, 2018, 19:40:55 »
That certainly looks promising.

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #99 on: November 19, 2018, 20:35:42 »
Lest Jakov should be disappointed, here is the 100mm f/1.6 Rodenstock on the Z7.

Did you happen to note the longest focus range with this lens and the Z7?

With the 100mm/f1.6 mounted to the F mount with no extension the focus is around 3 feet, I'm curious how that compares to the Z mount cameras.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2018, 20:45:27 »
Tomorrow I probably will have opportunity to pick up a handful of factory spare Z lens bayonets. They have arrived at the repair facility. Then testing what they can achieve with my various exotic lenses.

Apparently the 100/1.6 will be able to focus to infinity. I need to find a focusing mount for it on the Z. Maybe scavenge an existing surplus lens, put the 100/1.6 inside and add a Z mount to the rear end will do?

Wally

• X-Man breaking bad
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #101 on: November 20, 2018, 03:31:01 »
A few more from the first few hours -
First ISO 18'000
Second ISO 32'000 and 100% crop
Another Austrian Terminator in California

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #102 on: November 20, 2018, 07:33:39 »
@Wally: This is the Z6? Wow.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2018, 08:19:44 »
Paid the invoice on my Z6 yesterday, so it'll arrive shortly.

Apparently the new EXPEED 6 image processor adds extra zing to the files. Over in my part of the world, the days now are becoming very dark, thus having a camera capable of delivering good image quality under those conditions is promising indeed.

Now, off to pick up Z spare mounts.

Nikfuson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #104 on: November 20, 2018, 13:56:42 »
Picking up my 6’er kit tomorrow. Despite its strengths, my Sony couldn’t win the fight.