Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 316075 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2018, 15:51:23 »
I enjoy my faint memories of FM2 days on my current D750.

my FM2 did 1/4000 s and 1/250 s flash sync
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2018, 15:52:43 »
My hands are notoriously unsteady -- long term use of asthma medication ensures that.

very impressive VR performance when needed.

I fight with subject movement currently.

Looking forward for Z6 findings
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2018, 19:20:15 »
my FM2 did 1/4000 s and 1/250 s flash sync

Strictly speaking, that is FM2n.  The flash sync speed of the original FM2 was 1/200 sec., which is exactly the same spec as that of D750.   ::)
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2018, 19:42:39 »
Already ordered the new Markins L-bracket for the Z models. Today, added this for the FTZ:

https://www.photoproshop.com/Kamerazubehoer/Kamera-L-Winkel/Nikon/Markins-Kamerawinkel-Nikon-FTZ.html

In case I decide to use the Z6/7 on tripods ... I will get another FTZ adapter with the upcoming Z6, thus intend to have one of the FTZ adapters with an L mounted permanently, the other without.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2018, 21:45:02 »
I have tried the z7 in a shop in Madrid with the 24-70 and 50mm 1.4g with ftz adapter. I was very happy with what I felt. I´m still on the list for a z6 and should get it withing 2 weeks.

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2018, 23:02:47 »
very impressive VR performance when needed.

I fight with subject movement currently.

Looking forward for Z6 findings
If you have 70-200E, or any G2 2.8 lens, you will realize immediately that your lens is outresolving  Z6 sensor, what is not in case with Z7. Nothing wrong with that, as for me, but your opinion may vary. LZ

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2018, 09:06:47 »
If you have 70-200E, or any G2 2.8 lens, you will realize immediately that your lens is outresolving  Z6 sensor, what is not in case with Z7. Nothing wrong with that, as for me, but your opinion may vary. LZ

I have my D850 for high res shooting.
Currently I use my Fuji X100T for silent pic aquisition in churches, theatres or concerts
The 24MP Z6 should outperform the D5 in high ISO  and surely outperforms her in silent shooting
the X100T will be outperformed for sure
most of my lenses outresolve the D850 at ISO 1800, not so much at ISO 64

My interest in the Z6 is
... small package
... highest ISO
... silent shooting

Even if I had a Zoom and not only top notch prime lenses I would not be tempted to use it on a Zx

I might be tempted to use the 1.4/105 at ISO 100k and f/1.4 in a theatre or church to show things difficult to show because of low light levels

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2018, 12:02:12 »

I might be tempted to use the 1.4/105 at ISO 100k and f/1.4 in a theatre or church to show things difficult to show because of low light levels

But how would you focus? For low light shooting, CDAF in mirrorless is important, and Nikon Z do not use CDAF when adapted lenses are in use, only PDAF.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2018, 12:24:25 »
But how would you focus? For low light shooting, CDAF in mirrorless is important, and Nikon Z do not use CDAF when adapted lenses are in use, only PDAF.

Push the shutter release half down, or use AF-ON. Works with the 105/1.4 AFS even under very low light. Maybe the AF action isn't setting any speed record, but it hits the mark as it were and fairly quickly too.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2018, 12:36:58 »

even if I do not use AF I might highlight the sharp edges on screen and use live view on a tripod. I hope that the highlighting works in the EVF too then I can MF in a theatre

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2018, 12:40:30 »
Try the combination Frank, you might be positively surprised.

For what it's worth, tried the edge highlights and preferred other approaches to getting accurate focus.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2018, 12:41:39 »
Lest Jakov should be disappointed, here is the 100mm f/1.6 Rodenstock on the Z7.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2018, 13:10:56 »
Just got a text message from my Nikon repair tech that the spare Z bayonets I ordered only a few days ago already arrived today ... that was really fast! Nikon to the rescue :D

I'll pick up these Z spares tomorrow and start experimenting with some of the stranger exotica floating around here. Should be much fun to be had.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2018, 14:41:53 »
Push the shutter release half down, or use AF-ON. Works with the 105/1.4 AFS even under very low light. Maybe the AF action isn't setting any speed record, but it hits the mark as it were and fairly quickly too.

In lighting conditions where using f/1.4 one requires ISO 102400 to get an acceptable exposure? I find that difficult to believe that there would be reliable focusing under such circumstances. Of course it also depends on the directionality of the light and the contrast on the subject. The subject, of course, may move in a theatre etc.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2018, 14:53:06 »
We have to make do with the actual lenses available until the might new 58/0.95 comes along??

With the Z7, I had no problems doing AF with the 105/1.4 AFS at f/1.4, 1/8 sec, 25600 ISO.

One has to surmise the Z6 would perform even better in this respect.