Author Topic: Could there be another Scottish spring? JOIN US AT SHEIL LODGE  (Read 14420 times)

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
NOV. 10th

We are in the process of booking SHIEL LODGE for a week beginning 11th May 2019. The lodge is a traditional Scottish sporting lodge with comprehensive accommodation and facilities. It sleeps up to 16 people so several places are still available. The cost will range from £100 per person (for the whole week) if 15 members participate, to £150 per person if only ten join in. At the moment we are nine.

http://www.glenshielestate.com/shiel_accommodation.htm

The lodge is in a wonderful part of the Scottish Highlands with the Isle of Skye nearby, as well as other beautiful areas such as Applecross and Torrridon, as well as easy day-trips to the islands of Eigg and Rhum.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

OCT 20TH - SEE BELOW

I casually dropped a comment in a different thread about a second "Scotland Week", and was a little surprised at the enthusiastic response. Certainly the last one, in May 2016, was a great success, and in perfect weather. I still regard it as one of the highlights of my career as a photographer (now stretching towards 50 years).

So here's the question again - would you participate in a Scotland 2019 Week, probably in May again or possibly September/October? My advice would be to go for May. The week's activities would be centred around the accommodation we choose, and I will try to find 2-3 possibilities in the southern and south-west Highlands.

If you would like to get on the list, please just reply to this thread, and indicate your preference for spring or autumn.  Last time we had 19 participants including me; any number between 12 and 20 would be good.

NEW INFO - 20/10/218
I have looked at a lot of accommodations, some quite suitable for our needs, some not. But they are nearly all very heavily booked, and prices have risen dramatically since 2016. If this event is going to happen we will need to book accommodation very soon. Also, looking at what is available, I find myself being pushed more and more in the direction of the Loch Tay Lodges we used the last time. This is not ldeal - some have already been here in 2016 and might prefer a different venue  - but two of the lodges are available for large parts of May (the third lodge is fully booked), their prices have gone up but are still reasonable, and if we took two lodges we would have bed-space for at least 12 people (the list still stands at 10), and there is the possibility to rent another, smaller lodge if the list grows beyond 12.

I would urge anyone else who is interested to please get their names on the list by pm-ing or emailing me - with their preference for which week in May, and their feelings about the event being centred on Loch Tay and Killin again.

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
Re: Could there be another Scottish spring?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 15:25:20 »
I enjoyed the blazing sun and high temperatures  ....so spring again for me please!
Bez

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 15:50:02 »
Isle of Skye in May? Portree is wonderful, but also further down  at the foot of the Cullin Mountains would be gorgeous.

In 2019 I supervise my building project so I can only finalize my plans on short notice. If my construction needs me, I will not be there
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 16:55:15 »
I could do either alternative, but if one must be given priority, it's spring.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 17:48:08 »
Wouldn't mind revisiting Skye, the last time I was there we had horizontal rain for days so ended up on the East coast to get out of the stormy weather.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 19:32:33 »
Just a small word of caution - I love Skye very much and have been there approx. 30 times - mass tourism has hit Skye and its attractions very hard and the island is now extremely busy all year round, and especially in the peak months of May - Sept. There is constant competition for everything from hotel accommodation to campsites, parking spaces at viewpoints and even supplies from supermarkets. Skye does not have the infrastructure to support the numbers who are going there, and the situation - where there is not even one bed available on the island - is quite common. Tourist information-points tell people who do not already have a firm booking, to go back to the mainland.

Of course we would be booked long in advance but my point is that the whole island is very, even unpleasantly, busy. Mikes and I experienced a little of this in October 2016 when he had to phone a couple of dozen places to get us some accommodation.When we visited The Quiraing - a wonderful mountain/rock/pinnacles feature - there were 46 (I counted) vehicles parked in the unofficial parking area and along the verges of the road. Ten years ago there would have been one or two. Or none.

I had a long phonecall with an old friend - a native of Skye - whose advice was don't come, or if you must, book the accommodation NOW.  We are not ready for that, just yet.

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 19:44:36 »
I am interested in a Spring meet up in Scotland.

There must be many beautiful places which are not over crowded with tourists.  The big name places attract the people, but many almost unknown places are just as beautiful.  The situation is similar in Italy.
Anthony Macaulay

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 20:23:25 »
Duly noted, scratch my vote for Skye then as I usually prefer to avoid high tourist places.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 20:59:37 »
I would be interested and my preference would be spring, however it is going to be difficult for me.
I cannot go for a whole week, a few days at most and even that is difficult, since I have a daughter in school and I am already going to Scotland with another group in late winter.
Late in May there is one week of school holidays and this time is already taken by a family vacation, so if there is a clash this will take precedence.

I have been searching for accommodation for largish groups for the other trip I have, and I have seen some really nice properties, that are affordable and in spectacular places in the NW Highlands.
I am going to put some links in here to get the conversation going...

The first one is the one I am going to on the first week of March:
Couldoran House https://www.couldoranestate.co.uk/, which is in the Applecross / Torridon area, near the famous Bealach na Ba and located in some fantastic walking area.
Otherwise, Assynt is another fabulous place, with mountains rising like dinosaurs from the swamps.
Here we tried Inchnadamph Lodge http://www.inch-lodge.co.uk/index.html, but it was already booked for the period we were interested in.
Simone Tomasi

Mikes

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 22:05:26 »
May for me. North-western Scotland? I spent a few days there a couple of years ago (after spending a few days in Skye with David), and the scenery was wonderful, and it was not blighted by tourism. A few days weren't enough.

BTW - I endorse David's comments about tourists on Skye. Not only was suitable accommodation hard to find, but the interesting photography sites were as busy as ants nests.
Mike Selby - Sydney

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 22:50:49 »
I have to pass. My son is marrying at the end of April in Surabaya (Indonesia).
Afterwards we’ll probably heading to Kalimantan.  ;D
Chris Dees

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 00:09:18 »
I have been searching for accommodation for largish groups for the other trip I have, and I have seen some really nice properties, that are affordable and in spectacular places in the NW Highlands.
I am going to put some links in here to get the conversation going...
period we were interested in.

Thanks, Simone - that's a very helpful post. I have also started a search for suitable lodgings. It's a shame if you can't make it, but putting work & family commitments ahead of a jolly with the lads from NG - I don't know what the world is coming to.   8) 8) 8)   

I have to pass. My son is marrying at the end of April in Surabaya (Indonesia).
Afterwards we’ll probably heading to Kalimantan.  ;D

Chris - a marriage in Surabaya and a holiday in Kalimantan - that's no excuse - see above. But have a great time.    :'( 

So at the end of the first day, the list reads (first come, first served) -
Bez
Frank
Birna
Dave (myself)
Anthony
Jan Anne
Simato
Mike
Bent and Gunver
Robert (Seapy)

Frank and Simato are provisonal, but at this early stage we should treat everyone as provisional.

I also suggest that we should put a hold on the numbers at 15 or 16 people, until we have decided on our accommodation. If we find a really big place we can re-open the list

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2018, 00:29:00 »
As we see our plans at the moment then the second half of May will be fine for us, Gunver and Bent :)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2018, 01:35:07 »
ouch on Skye. It was next to empty and remote when I was there in 1998...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2018, 08:35:25 »
Sadly Skye seems to have become a major tourist destination.  I was there in August, admittedly 'high season', the place was heaving, Estonia seemed to be one nationality which was frequently recognised from the car and bike number plates. Glen Brittle with it's Fairy Pools seems a strong magnet.  Cars were parked for over a kilometre along the road either side of the path to the pools. Both car parks were full.

The path up to the pools.

And some bathing...  My son slapping his face to deter the midges, doesn't work, just inflicts more pain!!! Dog looking bewildered as son slaps face. LOL

It is possible to exclude the crowds.

May I suggest Glen Etive and Glen Orchy which are rich in waterfalls with spectacular backdrops.

A Glen Etive waterfall, it took us a whole day to explore the Etive waterfalls, they just kept coming, one after another.

One of many Glen Orchy Waterfalls.

Also there are two small botanic gardens within reach of Killin, Pitlochry 'Exploreres' garden, where Scots plant hunting explorers are celebrated in a small but lovely botanic garden.  Also another private botanic garden with public access, between Loch Tay and Pitlochry, Cluny House Garden, near Aberfeldy, which is rich in wildlife and a wonderful place to explore, boasting one of the tallest trees in Scotland. It is a haven for red squirrels and presents a challenge for sharp eyed photographers as they jump from tree to tree.

Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK