Author Topic: Could there be another Scottish spring? JOIN US AT SHEIL LODGE  (Read 14417 times)

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
Re: Could there be another Scottish spring?
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2018, 09:44:15 »
Too many tourists here on the Giant causeway, Northern Ireland last June

Midges,  :o where i come from originally.

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2018, 10:03:56 »
Speaking of dates, I may have some chance to get clearance for a few days if we opt for early May.
Monday 6th May is a bank holiday here, if we start the get together from Saturday 4, I could perhaps convince my wife to let me go for the long weekend, maybe a day or two more.
I could leave home Friday night and sleep somewhere en route (Perth if we go to Assynt or Torridon/Applecross).
Simone Tomasi

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2018, 10:31:25 »
From Seapy -

"Sadly Skye seems to have become a major tourist destination.  I was there in August, admittedly 'high season', the place was heaving, Estonia seemed to be one nationality which was frequently recognised from the car and bike number plates. Glen Brittle with it's Fairy Pools seems a strong magnet.  Cars were parked for over a kilometre along the road either side of the path to the pools. Both car parks were full."

Thanks for that, Robert - nothing like getting visual confirmation. Are you not joining NG at play?

(I wonder, do you mean Glen Orchy? Not G. Ogle?)

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2018, 11:40:53 »
Doh! Yes, did that from memory thank you for pointing that out David... Need new memory!  Corrected.

After last times debacle on my part I'm reluctant to commit, I very much would like to but maybe not for full term.  Too soon to plan, has been in back of my mind for some time.

I would very much like to explore lesser known parts of Rannoch, perhaps to the North East?  It's so huge I feel intimidated exploring and access is difficult without hiking long distances which I am no longer able to do.

Rather than here...

Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2018, 12:32:50 »
Robert: super shots and great story telling in #14
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2018, 12:37:31 »
Speaking of dates, I may have some chance to get clearance for a few days if we opt for early May.
Monday 6th May is a bank holiday here, if we start the get together from Saturday 4, I could perhaps convince my wife to let me go for the long weekend, maybe a day or two more.
I could leave home Friday night and sleep somewhere en route (Perth if we go to Assynt or Torridon/Applecross).

My wife's birthday is on 5/5 .. I did miss it last year. End of May for me .. if .. or I will simply visit Dave alone
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2018, 14:13:12 »
As indicated in the other thread, i'd be interested. But, May is typically not convenient for me, as 15/5 is my son's birthday so anything from 12/5 until (incl.) 19/5 is not possible for me. However, if we would be able to plan it around that (i've read Frank's comment above), then perhaps for me. I'd still need to get the travel request past the CFO  8) ;D

But, silly question, earlier months are not possible? For example March, especially with the tourist season stories in mind.
Hans Cremers

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2018, 17:49:29 »
The question of dates is a tricky one. We don't as yet have a full list of participants, we don't know where we will be staying, and we don't know which weeks the accommodation will be available.

I will try to find a shortlist of likely accommodations, asap. A vote can be held (committed members) to choose which we will stay in.  Members can then put forward their preferred week in May, and their 2nd favourite week - this will let us decide on the dates.

Or choose the timing first then look for lodgings available on our chosen dates.

Hans - in April there will be temporary peak in tourism - Easter, and school holidays; and it's usually a wet month. March is still winter; the days are short and the modern winter here is generally raw, cold and wet. There could be snow - that's ok with me, but the chances of bad weather are just too high.

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2018, 21:52:27 »
Hans - in April there will be temporary peak in tourism - Easter, and school holidays; and it's usually a wet month. March is still winter; the days are short and the modern winter here is generally raw, cold and wet. There could be snow - that's ok with me, but the chances of bad weather are just too high.

OK, scratch that. It isn't all too sure i can join anyway, Easter, school holidays and as mentioned my son's birthday are all in the way of being flexible enough to make this work from my side. Too bad, but that's life  ;)

You guys just stick to the plan as mentioned earlier in this thread (May time frame), i'll enjoy the pictures (as always)  ;D ;D
Hans Cremers

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2018, 15:40:26 »
Looking into how to get there Norwegian has direct flight in the timeframe from Copenhagen, but what is a reliable budget car hire company at Edinburgh airport?

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2018, 16:53:05 »
All the car rental companies at Edinburgh Airport should be fine, provided that their cars are on the airport and not at some location away from the airport.  You definitely need to check this.

I use Carrentals for car hire as the prices are usually a lot better than booking direct. I have used this company for rental in many countries  https://www.carrentals.co.uk/?aff=9999&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjufn29qN3gIVCrTtCh0smAVmEAAYAiAAEgKC6_D_BwE

However, it is always worth checking with the rental company as well.

You need to read the terms and conditions very carefully because they do vary, particularly in terms of unlimited/limited mileage and fuel policy (eg full tank to full tank versus  they sell you a full tank and you return it as near empty as possible.  The former is much better.).

I have an annual insurance for excess liability over the standard CDW.  It works out a lot cheaper than paying for cover from the hire company, especially if you rent several times a year.  Some of the companies which Carrentals covers include insurance for excess liability.  Note that the car hire company will try to persuade you to take their excess cover even if you have insurance, and they will block an amount on your card for security.
Anthony Macaulay