Author Topic: Monopod head recommendations  (Read 6251 times)

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Monopod head recommendations
« on: September 05, 2018, 20:01:12 »
This is a question about getting a good A/S compatible monopod head. So basically it's a RSS vs Kirk monopod thread, because I believe they are the top choices. So, I'm looking for remarks from those with experience, which I hope will keep me from buying the wrong one. As it stands, the Kirk looks to be the better choice, and the least expensive to boot. But, I have not used either brand, my only experience is with the Bogen/Manfrotto swivel, which is rated for light gear only (no big lenses), and it's not A/S compatible as it comes. 

A review that I read on Amazon complained that the RSS had no drag friction, it was either open or locked. The same review said that the Kirk was better in that regard. Let the comments begin.  ;D
Carl

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
Re: Monopod head recommendations
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 21:15:26 »
Hi Carl, I have the RRS monopod head for over a decade now and still very pleased with it.

To my knowledge both the RRS and Kirk heads have one knob to set the drag friction and to lock it whereas most of their tripod heads have separate knobs for locking and setting the minimum drag.

The RRS head has built in arca plate on the bottom  so it can be used as a poormans alternative for a Wimberley head when mounted on a tripod head where you can combine the panning function of the tripod head and tilting function of the monopod head.

Lately I've changed my tripod head to one with a limited tilting range, the monopod head can be used to extend that range sideways for portrait mode (when you forget the l-plate) or to shoot straight up or down. Attached a quick snapshot of a possible setup for portrait mode.

Whichever head you decide to buy my advice would be to get one with a screw clamp and have the security screws mounted on your lens or camera plate. On the first NG safari my 200-400VR was hanging on one of the little security screws because the RRS lever clamp couldn't keep the 200-400VR with RRS plate in place when I was walking around with the monopod swung over my shoulder  :o :o Needles to say I replaced the lever clamp with screw clamp shortly after the almost fatal event.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 21:16:41 »
Sunwayfoto  makes one.  It is basically RSS copy, so maybe it is not for a purist (lol), but is more affordable.  I haven't used one, but I have used a small ballhead, two panning plates, a universal long rail and a universal rail with the clamp, and they are all well made.  All mentioned here are A-S compatible.

http://www.sunwayfoto.com/e_goodsDetail.aspx?gId=1259
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 21:45:42 »
For tripod work I have the Arca-Swiss B1 w/RSS lever clamp, and I'm 100% satisfied with it. But for my monopod I need a swivel head which I prefer over alternative heads. I had a Bogen, which has pulled a Houdini since our move last year, but it was inadequate anyway. So I'd rather have a good quality head and not need it, than to need it and not have it. My solution is to try buying right to begin with. On occasion, I do rent larger lenses, and that rules out another Bogen/Manfrotto.

I have not tried my 70-300 VR AF-P DX on a monopod yet, so I dunno what to expect since it mounts on my D7200 that has no way to turn off VR. Does anyone have any experience with that setup? At almost 80 yrs old, I'm finding tripods and monopods to be more my speed than in my younger years. There's a mama dove and baby living in a bush beside my place and I think a monopod may be my best bet for getting decent shot.
Carl

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 22:00:54 »
Thanks for the tip about the lever vs knob clamp lock for the monopod head, JA. Besides, it's also less expensive.  :)

Thank you too, Akira-san. To tell the truth, I dunno much about the RSS/Kirk alternatives, and I just want to play it safe with the first purchase. That's pretty much why I've not included other brands. Not that there aren't any worthy ones out there, but more that I don't wanna have to return and re-purchase.   ;)
Carl

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 22:08:58 »
If your main purpose is to use AF-P 70-300 VR on a monopod, you would be just fine with the B1 on the monopod?  With the B1 slightly loosened, you should be able to follow the subject easily and freely while supporting the rig.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

basker

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 22:15:05 »
Carl, I have had a RRS monopod head for a while. Out of the box, it was very nice except for one thing. There was quite a bit of side-to-side play at the pivot when the lock was loosened. I ended up using a pair of nylon washers to take up the slack. After sanding the washers to the correct thickness, I cut a segment out of the washers so they would snap onto the shaft like an "e-clip." Not really elegant, but they still work.

The lock itself came with nylon washers already installed for braking. It has a big knob that is easy to adjust. It is not like a fluid head, but I disagree about it being only locked or loose. I hold the camera whenever I use the knob anyway, as a monopod user would be doing already.

The first attachment shows one of the "hacked" washers, there is another on the other side.

The pivot shaft is located behind the logo seen in the second attachment. A panning base or a rotating center column make it into a tilt & pan of sorts. I have also used the dovetail on the base clamped onto a ballhead to make a downward shot.
Sam McMillan

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 22:23:28 »
I would recommend the Kirk MPA 2

https://www.kirkphoto.com/kirk-mpa-2-monopod-head.html

And i am not carrying a supertele- camera combination mounted on the monopod by just grabbing the pod
Wolfgang Rehm

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 22:24:22 »
If your main purpose is to use AF-P 70-300 VR on a monopod, you would be just fine with the B1 on the monopod?  With the B1 slightly loosened, you should be able to follow the subject easily and freely while supporting the rig.

No, that's not at all my main purpose for using my monopod. I only asked because I don't yet know how the 70-300 AF-P performs on a monopod with the VR still turned on. Normally, I would have a much  shorter zoom or prime on the monopod. I'm also not sure how close I can get to those doves, so the 70-300 might be needed.
Carl

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 22:45:16 »
Carl, I have had a RRS monopod head for a while. Out of the box, it was very nice except for one thing. There was quite a bit of side-to-side play at the pivot when the lock was loosened. I ended up using a pair of nylon washers to take up the slack. After sanding the washers to the correct thickness, I cut a segment out of the washers so they would snap onto the shaft like an "e-clip." Not really elegant, but they still work.

The lock itself came with nylon washers already installed for braking. It has a big knob that is easy to adjust. It is not like a fluid head, but I disagree about it being only locked or loose. I hold the camera whenever I use the knob anyway, as a monopod user would be doing already.

The first attachment shows one of the "hacked" washers, there is another on the other side.

The pivot shaft is located behind the logo seen in the second attachment. A panning base or a rotating center column make it into a tilt & pan of sorts. I have also used the dovetail on the base clamped onto a ballhead to make a downward shot.

I have to admit that needing to add washers to take up slack at those prices is a turn off for me. Thanks for the response  anyway, Sam.
Carl

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 22:47:30 »
I would recommend the Kirk MPA 2

https://www.kirkphoto.com/kirk-mpa-2-monopod-head.html

And i am not carrying a supertele- camera combination mounted on the monopod by just grabbing the pod

Thanks Wolf, this looks like the stronger candidate to me.
Carl

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 23:21:39 »
It is very strong and can lock the heaviest Superteles

I second Jan Annes recommendation for a screw clamp not a lever clamp. There are tolerances in plate that can make the latter a nuissance with the required readjustments

The screw clamp is too small for my taste, my Burzynsky-modified Manfrotto is better in this aspect but this head is too weak

Did not go for the RRS because it appears to be a less compact construction
Wolfgang Rehm

basker

• NG Member
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2018, 00:54:37 »
I have to admit that needing to add washers to take up slack at those prices is a turn off for me. Thanks for the response  anyway, Sam.

It was for me too! :)
Sam McMillan

Ashlandish

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2018, 01:57:39 »
ProMediaGear HM1 Monopod Tilt Head might also be an option: http://www.promediagear.com/HM1-Monopod-Head--Tilt-Head_p_218.html
Tim Becraft

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2018, 15:02:01 »
using the sunway since 3 years now (not very often) , I can say it works without problems.
You need normally only a 90° rotation, to switch from  camera mounted plate to lens mounted plate with  your monopod, but have never seen this.
Thus I use as well sometimes a 360° rotation by Sunwayfoto.
On the other hand, using a Swiss Monostat with its super foot, in most cases I do really not need to use  the head, as the foot allows enough tilt angle.
Thomas Stellwag