Author Topic: The new Nikon mirrorless system  (Read 121119 times)

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
Re: The new Nikon mirrorless system
« Reply #240 on: August 26, 2018, 20:14:44 »
Everybody who knows me, noticed probably that I’m not a big ML fan, especially because I have no acquaintances with the EVF, despite having tested the best around. So be it. I have no special requirements for video or silent shooting, so the Z series are not made especially for me. But I like the construction and design of the Z’s. And probably, we will have a big (quality) surprise with the S line of lenses, which may outperform everything what exists. And the latter would certainly be very appealing, even for a «old OVF fart » like me.

What is unbelievable, is the Z bashing in the media, with particular emphasis on battery duration, one slot card, and some other features. Most of the people, even the ones who had the camera in their hands, cannot judge at present. The only one of which I can give an opinion is the single card feature. Although, almost all of my cameras have dual slots, I never used the second slot as a backup / parallel slot, but only as an overflow one. Even the latter happened on rare occasions. So for me, the single slot is OK. And, as far as I know, nobody had any problems with XQD cards which went down the drain
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #241 on: August 26, 2018, 20:36:41 »
I wonder if those doing all the Z bashing re the single slot are the same idiots who bashed the Df for one slot.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #242 on: August 26, 2018, 21:38:32 »
I wonder if those doing all the Z bashing re the single slot are the same ...
That was not very nice
Wolfgang Rehm

chambeshi

« Reply #243 on: August 26, 2018, 23:36:26 »
here's an interview by Cameraworld UK with the Nikon Product manager, Tim Carter, who states the positioning of the Z MILC wrt D850 etc.

The context to the EVF, IBIS, Video are now clearer (at least to my reading). Note VR benefit is 5 stops max even with VR on a lens. Notably, the explanation on the huge effort Nikon have devoted to the AF underscores that it is customizable. A pity the clickbaiters posing as reviewers on the www and trolls did not wait to read this context.

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/nikon-z7-and-z6-what-was-nikons-thinking-and-how-will-the-z-system-evolve

This is worth watching - and the examples vindicate my strategy on clandestine aspects of wildlife photography:

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/08/26/adoramas-nikon-z-launch-event-with-corey-rich-and-michelle-valberg-starts-in-15-minutes.aspx/

And 1 NB lesson is the AF has to be optimized to respective tasks. Getting at this optimization lies up the slope of a learning curve  ;) ;)

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #244 on: August 27, 2018, 01:48:48 »
Thanks a lot for those links ! The video interview was impressive and the images quite fantastic !!! :o
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #245 on: August 27, 2018, 02:14:13 »
Thanks, very nice article indeed.

The last paragraph says it all:
Quote from: Tim Carter, Product Manager Nikon
We're not abandoning DSLRs. Both systems will work alongside each other. What we can uniquely offer is the best DSLR system, and the best mirrorless system, side by side. The best of both worlds.

Nikon is merely enlarging their ecosystem to cater the needs of both worlds, some of us will stick with the DSLR while others will go all in to mirrorless or use both platforms to combine the benefits of the two to handle a wider spectrum of challenges.

For me the right balance currently is to use short and medium (manual focus) lenses ranging from 15mm to 125mm on mirrorless and use the D500 plus 200-500VR for the long action stuff, when the AF on mirrorless becomes as reliable under challenging light conditions as with a DSLR I might go all mirrorless again but for now I've learned my lesson the hard way that it isn't so at the moment (though I haven't tried the Sony A9 or Nikon Z6 & Z7 yet).

There's no good or bad choice as we all have our specific needs and restrictions, as long as we acknowledge that fact we can continue to coexist peacefully in our little community :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #246 on: August 27, 2018, 02:34:49 »
the grip doesnt have a shutter button  :o :o :o

edit: just speculating. it doesnt have contacts underneath but maybe it will be like the D90 ::)

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #247 on: August 27, 2018, 02:48:13 »
Good info, thanks for sharing it
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #248 on: August 27, 2018, 03:07:24 »
the grip doesnt have a shutter button  :o :o :o

I’ve never really understood the need for a grip. Most of the noise seems to be coming from people who see this new camera as limiting their choices instead of expanding them. Mirrorless fills a hole and offers new possibilities, it doesn’t obsolete the current line up. Nikon has been clear about how both DSLR and mirrorless co-exist, but the negative commenters seem to think their world is ending instead of being expanded.

I think the Z line will be very helpful in the sort of photography I do. I photograph in low light with old lenses so the stabilization will be helpful. The tilt screen in the back will help too - many times I hold the camera over head and hope I’ve framed correctly. My eyes are older so being able to zoom the viewfinder for fine focus will be great. Silent shooting is great to eliminate distraction. And the short flange distance opens opportunity to use a huge amount of weird old lenses. And on top of that, the world of video is new to me.

I think there is a large group of photographers are very slow to adapt to change. In some ways, I am one - I’ve never learned how to use autofocus, but one should see change as oppportunity rather than enemy.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #249 on: August 27, 2018, 03:14:42 »

I think the Z line will be very helpful in the sort of photography I do. I photograph in low light with old lenses so the stabilization will be helpful. The tilt screen in the back will help too - many times I hold the camera over head and hope I’ve framed correctly. My eyes are older so being able to zoom the viewfinder for fine focus will be great. Silent shooting is great to eliminate distraction. And the short flange distance opens opportunity to use a huge amount of weird old lenses. And on top of that, the world of video is new to me.

i understand where youre coming from :o :o :o
i cant trust my eyesight as well :(

by the way, this is just my speculation. there are no contacts underneath it. the D90 didn't have it too but it does support a vertical button so maybe we will see it

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #250 on: August 27, 2018, 03:49:27 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMTtAi5oPoo

Steve Perry's video  :o :o :o

No, not the Journey ex-frontman ::)

Netr

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #251 on: August 27, 2018, 04:04:43 »
In the interview with Tim Carter (Digital Camera World link in post #243), Carter talks about the grip and states:

"Basically we're just announcing that we will be developing a battery pack. It will take two batteries, and boost therefore the battery life of the product. But I don't think it will have a portrait orientation shutter button or a control wheel."

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #252 on: August 27, 2018, 04:06:21 »
In the interview with Tim Carter (Digital Camera World link in post #243), Carter talks about the grip and states:

"Basically we're just announcing that we will be developing a battery pack. It will take two batteries, and boost therefore the battery life of the product. But I don't think it will have a portrait orientation shutter button or a control wheel."

no :o :o :o

chambeshi

« Reply #253 on: August 27, 2018, 07:43:21 »
Quote from: Netr on Today at 04:04:43

no :o :o :o

This is NOT what we need to hear! If it is true, then let's hope Nikon remedy the deficiency as priority. No mention of this Z battery pack packing the EN-EL18's also sounds bad

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #254 on: August 27, 2018, 07:47:37 »
Not quite the same, unless you're able to take the same shots with both cameras at the same time :P
...I wouldn't be surprised if you have managed that :D

Obviously I check that I have the image on the one camera I'm using all the time when it's important shootings! I'm not tandem shooting :o
What do you do if the lens fails, the battery, the aperture follower etc. - There are so many things that can go wrong besides the cards,,, then your in trouble if your backup is two cards in one non functioning camera!
Erik Lund