Author Topic: The new Nikon mirrorless system  (Read 121123 times)

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
Re: The new Nikon mirrorless system
« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2018, 22:13:46 »
One interesting point will be, how much does the firmware do to the files, will they be like the D cameras or will it change distortion etc,,,

That is a good question.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2018, 23:07:04 »
Filter size is 82mm for that Noct Z. Nikon said it would be manual focus only. The VR is provided by the camera by default (5 dimensions).
I wonder why the new Noct is so big? AF lenses are often bulky due to the AF motor, but this lens is manual focus.

The entrance pupil of a 58mm f/0.95 lens is 61mm - the same as an 85/1.4 lens. Often the front element is a bit larger so mechanical vignetting is less but from the pictures, the front element is not overly large. It seems possible the lens could be more slender with a 72mm filter size instead??

I had a closer look at the picture attached earlier in this thread, two other interesting things to note:

1. The focus throw is extremely long, you can see the close focus 0.5m mark just to the left of the infinity mark, which means the focus throw is nearly a full rotation, I guess 330°. Michael will be pleased. By comparison, the AI 55/1.2 and 58/1.8 Noct focus to the same distance with "only" 230° rotation (which already makes them slow to focus...). The Z Noct also has a much fatter barrel so the focus travel is proportionally greater in addition to the longer focus angle.

2. There seems to be a small LCD panel in the side of the lens, maybe is like the Zeiss Batis lenses for showing DOF?

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2018, 23:18:35 »
Nikon might try to reduce mechanical vignetting to a minimum -- that's my guess at present.

dibyendumajumdar

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2018, 00:05:37 »
I wonder why the new Noct is so big? AF lenses are often bulky due to the AF motor, but this lens is manual focus.

Attached image is from a Nikon brochure https://cdn-4.nikon-cdn.com/e/Q5NM96RZZo-RRZZFeeMiveET0gVQ--AxJI7g-xcLVNVcp7mdwZQz5w==/Misc/Z_Engineer_Interview_Brochure.pdf.

It looks a very elaborate lens design.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2018, 00:14:56 »
Many of the lens elements are very thick. Meaning the lens will be heavy.

dibyendumajumdar

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #95 on: August 24, 2018, 00:19:37 »
Many of the lens elements are very thick. Meaning the lens will be heavy.

And probably very expensive. It has a precision ground large diameter aspherical lens. Now when did Nikon last use one of these ? Probably in the old 28mm f1.4 lens?

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: August 24, 2018, 00:23:22 »
I pre-ordered the Z Noct. Then I would have all Noct versions from the late '70s until present.The F Nocts are interesting and temperamental lenses. Precisely a design to fall in love with, or to dislike.

Bear Dale

• NG Member
  • Big kid in the guise of an adult
« Reply #97 on: August 24, 2018, 00:36:57 »
How much would it have cost for Nikon to have had 2 card slots ?

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #98 on: August 24, 2018, 00:41:53 »
Nikon might try to reduce mechanical vignetting to a minimum -- that's my guess at present.
Then the front element would be larger. Based on the size of the front element, the lens could be more slender with 72mm filter threads - about the location of the raised inner ring

Maybe they wanted the longest possible focus throw for very precise focusing, so decided on a fatter barrel?

More likely... the lens has a lot of glass with heavy elements, the lenses must be mounted with the highest precision to ensure the best optical quality, so the barrel is very highly engineered. Nikon is a proud company, don't want to be outdone by Zeiss Otus or Sigma Art :o

RoyC

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #99 on: August 24, 2018, 00:51:07 »
OK, so some of my own questions I didn't see listed anywhere else.

3)  12fps continuous shooting on the Z6.   Is that full AF and metering or is that only available when shooting at 5.5fps?

Good times ahead!

The FPS rate described as "Extended" is at 12 bits (both cameras) and at least the Z7 only has AE only on the first frame. There may be more issues. I found the footnote explained in the brochure.

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
« Reply #100 on: August 24, 2018, 01:25:35 »
i just wanted to say that I am thankful to this community and for this thread.  I've been to several other  forums around the  'net.  Why people cannot be civil about this  announcement, I'll never know.

You'd think that someone slapped there mother and  called her a nasty name the way they attack.  Lol
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
  • Grateful For The Instruction Provided Me
« Reply #101 on: August 24, 2018, 01:42:53 »
I hear you, brother! If one word describes the NikonGear community, it's "civility". "Expertise", "instructive", "professionalism" just naturally follow!

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #102 on: August 24, 2018, 02:28:12 »
I'm curious about focusing old lenses, how hard or easy is it?
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #103 on: August 24, 2018, 02:44:22 »
I guess 1.4 kg of lens on an 800g body?

What are the real data?

According to Impress-Watch news, the new PF 500/5.6 weighs 1.46kg, 106mm diameter x 237mm long.

https://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1139375.html
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2018, 02:48:34 »
I'm curious about focusing old lenses, how hard or easy is it?
Focusing, as in see the focus on the EVF?
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA