Author Topic: The new Nikon mirrorless system  (Read 120995 times)

Per Inge Oestmoen

• NG Member
  • Long Live NikonGear
Re: The new Nikon mirrorless system
« Reply #525 on: October 04, 2018, 16:30:45 »
The new Nikon mirrorless system is of course a fine system in its own right.

There are however some factors that would warrant the suggestion that the days of the (D)SLR may not be numbered after all.

- Mirrorless technology means considerably higher energy consumption. There is no way around it; a given battery capacity will always give a significantly higher number of exposures with an optical construction. This superiority will be even more significant in cold weather. Have you ever done northern light (aurora) photography. I and my friends have. Our Canon and Nikon DSLRs held up just fine even if we had to change batteries every now and then, and the DSLRs with their optical viewfinders functioned with no problems even in -43 and -49 in Northern Norway. How would a mirrorless camera do in such cold environments?

- We have cameras with optical viewfinders that last for decades, and an optical system lasts for an unlimited time. We know that LCD and in particular OLED technology does not last forever before they start to weaken. How long are present-day electronic finders made to last?

- The use of existing lenses requires the FTZ adapter, which means the insertion of an additional gadget between the body and the lens. For some this is okay, others will think that they are better served with Nikon's DSLRs since they give native compatibility - which means no need for an adapter which builds out the size of the whole rig. I may not be the only one who does not feel like buying high end lenses for $$$$ and then need an adapter to be able to use them.

- An even more significant factor is that the mirrorless system is incompatible with the many millions of brilliant Nikkor AI and AIS lenses out there. Yes, you can attach a manual Nikkor to the adapter and the camera will meter - but unfortunately it will be old style stop down metering. And unfortunately, the electronic viewfinder is no substitute for wide open metering. Usually, a lens is not used at full aperture. When stopping down from for example 2.8 to 5.6 there is a 200% loss of light. At aperture 8.0 there is an 800% light loss from full aperture 2.8. When the electronic viewfinder has to compensate for such major losses of light, the quality of the image will be dramatically reduced - and many will be of the opinion that the optical viewfinder gives the clearest and best image to start with. It may be suggested that stop down metering is not what we want in the 21th century. The existence of manual lenses is just another reason why the (D)SLR may enjoy a long life.

Per Inge Oestmoen, Norway
"Noise reduction is just another word for image destruction"

Per Inge Oestmoen

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #526 on: October 04, 2018, 17:29:28 »
The new Nikon mirrorless system is of course a fine system in its own right.

There are however some factors that would warrant the suggestion that the days of the (D)SLR may not be numbered after all.

- Mirrorless technology means considerably higher energy consumption. There is no way around it; a given battery capacity will always give a significantly higher number of exposures with an optical construction. This superiority will be even more significant in cold weather. Have you ever done northern light (aurora) photography. I and my friends have. Our Canon and Nikon DSLRs held up just fine even if we had to change batteries every now and then, and the DSLRs with their optical viewfinders functioned with no problems even in -43 and -49 in Northern Norway. How would a mirrorless camera do in such cold environments?

- We have cameras with optical viewfinders that last for decades, and an optical system lasts for an unlimited time. We know that LCD and in particular OLED technology does not last forever before they start to weaken. How long are present-day electronic finders made to last?

- The use of existing lenses requires the FTZ adapter, which means the insertion of an additional gadget between the body and the lens. For some this is okay, others will think that they are better served with Nikon's DSLRs since they give native compatibility - which means no need for an adapter which builds out the size of the whole rig. I may not be the only one who does not feel like buying high end lenses for $$$$ and then need an adapter to be able to use them.

- An even more significant factor is that the mirrorless system is incompatible with the many millions of brilliant Nikkor AI and AIS lenses out there. Yes, you can attach a manual Nikkor to the adapter and the camera will meter - but unfortunately it will be old style stop down metering. And unfortunately, the electronic viewfinder is no substitute for wide open metering. Usually, a lens is not used at full aperture. When stopping down from for example 2.8 to 5.6 there is a 200% loss of light. At aperture 8.0 there is an 800% light loss from full aperture 2.8. When the electronic viewfinder has to compensate for such major losses of light, the quality of the image will be dramatically reduced - and many will be of the opinion that the optical viewfinder gives the clearest and best image to start with. It may be suggested that stop down metering is not what we want in the 21th century. The existence of manual lenses is just another reason why the (D)SLR may enjoy a long life.

Per Inge Oestmoen, Norway

Per,

Your points seem quite similar to those made when we moved from film cameras to digital. Somehow we managed to get past those issues, and I think we will again. In the meantime pull out the old FM and pop in a roll of film.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #527 on: October 04, 2018, 21:35:17 »
I plan to check out the Z6 for low light shooting, but I'll not be an early adopter.
On the partial incompatibility of the the FTZ with Ai/AiS lenses:
1. It seems to me possible that an adapter could have the rotating Ai follower, and internally transduce its position into aperture data to feed to the camera through the contacts.  Doesn't solve the 'big lens on small body' problem, of course.
2.  With Ai lenses and the Z cams, there will always be old-fashioned manual exposure:  Asses the brightness of the scene (with or without a light meter,) set shutter speed and aperture, take picture. 
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #528 on: October 04, 2018, 22:12:55 »
On the partial incompatibility of the the FTZ with Ai/AiS lenses:
1. It seems to me possible that an adapter could have the rotating Ai follower, and internally transduce its position into aperture data to feed to the camera through the contacts.  Doesn't solve the 'big lens on small body' problem, of course.

It should be noted that not only non-CPU lenses are used stopped down; on the Z7 lenses with a CPU are also used stopped down in the range from full-open down to F/5.6. Beyond F/5.6, there is no further stopping down (this behaviour is good for preventing focussing errors due to focus shift).

This current Z7 system behaviour makes a rotating Ai follower not useful down to F/5.6.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #529 on: October 04, 2018, 23:52:56 »
It should be noted that not only non-CPU lenses are used stopped down; on the Z7 lenses with a CPU are also used stopped down in the range from full-open down to F/5.6. Beyond F/5.6, there is no further stopping down (this behaviour is good for preventing focussing errors due to focus shift).

This current Z7 system behaviour makes a rotating Ai follower not useful down to F/5.6.

How does DOF preview work with large apertures? Often focusing is more critical wide open.

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #530 on: October 05, 2018, 09:04:07 »
How does DOF preview work with large apertures? Often focusing is more critical wide open.

It means that for the larger apertures from full-open down to F/5.6 there is always DOF preview, beyond F/5.6 one gets the F/5.6 DOF.

BTW this "down to F/5.6" aperture closing mechanism also works in e.g. S mode, one can observe the aperture dynamically changing depending on light conditions or adjusted shutter (or ISO) speed.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #531 on: October 05, 2018, 09:24:26 »
Some first thoughts about the Z7

My Nikon Z7 arrived and a hefty little thing it is. No, it is not as large as my D850, but it is heavy enough with a lens on it. Of course, the first thing I discovered is that there are no L-Plates that fit the Z7 available. There are some for preorder, but when I called Really Right Stuff and ordered one, it seemed from talking with them that they have not yet even figured out how they are going to approach the FTZ adapter in relation to L-plates. So, for now I have to use a large and heavy (giant) L-Plate adapter from Novoflex for portrait mode. Either that or swing my Arca-Swiss Cube geared head 90 degrees.

In fact, it dawned on me that if the only reason I am getting a mirrorless Nikon is to save space and weight, the savings are not that great. As mentioned, the Z7 is a weighty thing. So, what’s left? For me, there is the new mount and the promise of faster lenses wide open, which I would like a lot.

As for the FTZ adapter, it seems great. In fact, once attached, the camera feels like any DSLR all over again, so tightly does it fit in. I also look forward to mounting the Z7 on my view camera and gaining a little added focus range there. I have mounts for that on order.

As for the EVF, yes! It does feel like an OVF or at least I am not conscious of it being electronic as I have been with other mirrorless cameras I have owned (Sony, Hasselblad, GFX, etc.). It is really nice AND YOU CAN MAGNIFY IT! As for the rear LCD? It’s about what I am used to with the D850, so no problem there.

My pocketbook groaned when I played with the 24-70 f/4 lens because it is obvious that it fits the camera like a glove and if the new mount ups the APO-quotient for native lenses, I can see myself wanting a few more of these natural Z7 lenses. Ouch! Perhaps it’s time for me to off-load some of my many legacy F-mount lenses!

As for menus and buttons, well, what’s new? Every camera-iteration has some of that and while the Z7 is a lot like my D850, it’s different too. The little OLED (or whatever it is) on the top of the camera is very handy and easy to READ.

I can see that I will probably do a lot more point-and-shoot with the Z7, since it is so “handy.” As many have said, this is not simply a replacement for the D850, but something in itself. I imagine a smaller kit to travel with that contains the native 24-70 Z7 lens, the adapter and one or two legacy F-mount lenses. And since the video in the Z7 is a step-up, I can see using it (with an XLR-add-on) and ported to my Atomos Shogun Inferno as 10-bit 4K 4:2:2 FF  video (and log gamma modes) to do interviews or whatever. I won’t have to carry a larger dedicated video camera, etc.

I have yet to see for myself (or hear from others) if anything else about the Z7 is problematical, especially if the image quality is as good as the D850 and if the banding-issue affects my work. My guess is that it won’t.

So, I am just getting familiar with the Z7. Next for me, is to try a lot of non-native lenses via the adapter and see if everything is equal.

MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #532 on: October 05, 2018, 10:01:29 »
Indeed the new Z mount is, mho, a serious point of interest so lets see what the future will bring in this respect.

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #533 on: October 05, 2018, 10:12:44 »
IMHO the Z mount made a very good start with the 35/1.8S (I didn't buy the zoomy thingy so cannot say anything about that). Lovely bokeh rendering and sharp already wide open from near to far.
The metal focus ring is properly damped (but the focus by wire can sometimes act a little weird). If anything, there is some (easy to remove) purple fringing aroud highlights full open. So I am very interested what the 20/1.8S and 85/1.8S (both will come next year) will bring.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #534 on: October 05, 2018, 14:43:03 »
Since the video on the Z7 has been (somewhat) upgraded, what kit/connectors would you suggest to add XLR connectors so that the various Rode mics could be used, if you know?
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #535 on: October 05, 2018, 15:26:21 »
I can now physically see that the problem of L-Plates and the FTZ adapter is a tough one. Now that I have the camera and the adapter, it does not work well with L-Plates or any plate. Even short single plates extend out where the FTZ adapter wants to be. I have ordered a VERY thin Arca-Swiss plate that may be able to get around the problem, but it has not arrived yet. Checking out non-native lenses and they seem, so far, to work well. Since I have no reasonable L-Plate, I am forced to used the Arca Cube geared head at a 90-degree angle, which is not as stable.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #536 on: October 05, 2018, 15:59:37 »
Sounds like a Dremel is called for ...

I'll get my Z system shortly and will experiment with various brackets.

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #537 on: October 06, 2018, 09:47:17 »
Disassembly of the Z7 at Kolarivision:

https://kolarivision.com/nikon-z7-dissasembly-teardown/

Patrick Berg-Pedersen

• Nature and Landscape Photographer, Educated as a press Photographer for almost 30 years ago.
  • NG Member
  • You and me, -Are the real legacy of Nikon
    • Patrick Berg-Pedersen
« Reply #538 on: October 06, 2018, 11:24:10 »

Birna;Look no further!....

3 Legged Thing has the worlds first L brackets for Z6/Z7.
"The colour of light is almighty, it gives us not only day and night but the entire shape of life" - Patrick Pedersen

-Proud Nikon FE2 owner since a age of 9!-

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #539 on: October 06, 2018, 12:45:00 »
Birna;Look no further!....

3 Legged Thing has the worlds first L brackets for Z6/Z7.

It does not handle the FTZ adapter as far as I can see, which is what is needed for those of us with a lot of legacy glass.