Author Topic: The new Nikon mirrorless system  (Read 121777 times)

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
Re: The new Nikon mirrorless system
« Reply #495 on: October 01, 2018, 15:28:45 »
I need an L-Bracket/Plate for the Nikon Z7, but I understand that you would have to take it off everytime you want to use the FTZ adapter, which is not acceptable to me.

Does anyone know of an L-Bracket that works with the FTZ adapter without having to remove it each time?
Because the FTZs tripod mount is in the way, and the Arca profile might be broader than the camera? (this could be solved with a decentered solution). Maybe it is too early for L-brackets. RRS lists Z7-brackets as to be designed.
Wolfgang Rehm

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #496 on: October 01, 2018, 15:32:44 »
Because the FTZs tripod mount is in the way, and the Arca profile might be broader than the camera? (this could be solved with a decentered solution). Maybe it is too early for L-brackets. RRS lists Z7-brackets as to be designed.

I hear you, but it is not too early to point out what we need, correct?
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #497 on: October 01, 2018, 15:50:22 »
I hear you, but it is not too early to point out what we need, correct?
yes thats correct.
But if there is not positive answer now, it would be too early to give in already
Wolfgang Rehm

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #498 on: October 01, 2018, 16:04:39 »

As i said i do not use the SD card but so far I havent thought that inserting a card while not using it may be a delaying factor as well??

The SD in the slot sould only delay if you set the memory management to "backup". The buffer then clears at SD card speed not at XQD speed. I did that once. It was healed by emptying the SD card slot.

The fps and AF speed of the D850 and possibly the data rate too, depend on the voltage the camera is operated with. With the ENEL 15 it is 7 Volts, the D5 batteries work at 11.4 Volts. The buffer size stays the same but the buffer fills much faster with 9 fps. I shoot 14 bit RAW lossless compressed plus JPEG fine and did not fall into a full buffer yet. For birds I might fall back to NEF only.

Buffer fills faster with uncompressed than with lossless compressed of course.

PS: my D850 sometimes does not recognize the ENEL18 if an ENEL15 is present. Work around is to open the battery compartmemt, slide theD5 battery out and in again.

Never had that with an empty ENEL15 compartement.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

peroo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #499 on: October 01, 2018, 16:07:12 »
I have set the camera to 12 bit NEF lossless compressed and am using it both with EN-El15 and the EN-EL18 together with battery grip. Will need to do further testing, did not have too much shooting time the last months.

As i said i do not use the SD card but so far I havent thought that inserting a card while not using it may be a delaying factor as well??

I have not tested, but I have read that having an SD card in the D850 slows it down. Maybe you could do a test?
I use 2933x 440MB/s XQD in my cameras.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #500 on: October 01, 2018, 16:26:06 »
I have not tested, but I have read that having an SD card in the D850 slows it down. Maybe you could do a test?
I use 2933x 440MB/s XQD in my cameras.

I could do a test shooting, but no precise measurements and it will take some time.

BTW The cache of the Z-series appears to be more limited given the specification
Wolfgang Rehm

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #501 on: October 01, 2018, 17:23:29 »
Wolfgang: I did a little research on the net: several users report that an SD card in the camera set to "overflow" will NOT slow down the camera, whereas an SD card set to "backup" will.

In your case I would check the real speed of your XQD with H2testw and try 12/14 bit compressed/uncompressed in the camera settings for speed of buffer cleaning

PS: your best option will probably be 14 bit lossless compresses which is a tad over half the size of a 14 bit uncompressed file meaning "double your buffer size"

according to this test: https://www.google.de/amp/s/photographylife.com/compressed-vs-uncompressed-vs-lossless-compressed-raw/amp

the 12bit option gives you only another 10%
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #502 on: October 01, 2018, 19:08:13 »
PS: your best option will probably be 14 bit lossless compresses which is a tad over half the size of a 14 bit uncompressed file meaning "double your buffer size"

according to this test: https://www.google.de/amp/s/photographylife.com/compressed-vs-uncompressed-vs-lossless-compressed-raw/amp

the 12bit option gives you only another 10%

That's with a D810.

With a D850 there is a dramatic difference between maximum burst depths obtained with 14-bit and 12-bit lossless compressed (51 vs. 170 images at 7fps; 54 vs. 29 at 9fps), according to the user manual (7fps) and menu guide (9fps). So the most important thing to do is when expecting the buffer to limit one's shooting, use 12-bit recording instead of 14-bit with this camera. And use a fast XQD card. The max burst depth figures in the manual seem to be taken with lens cap on and base ISO, in real-world subjects you typically get fewer shots but it still holds true that the 12-bit recording gives significantly longer bursts. A slight additional gain is achievable if you turn on compressed NEF instead of lossless compressed NEF (200 vs. 170 for 7fps; 56 vs. 54 for 12-bit 9fps).

Frode

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #503 on: October 01, 2018, 22:00:45 »
The SD in the slot sould only delay if you set the memory management to "backup". The buffer then clears at SD card speed not at XQD speed. I did that once. It was healed by emptying the SD card slot.

The fps and AF speed of the D850 and possibly the data rate too, depend on the voltage the camera is operated with. With the ENEL 15 it is 7 Volts, the D5 batteries work at 11.4 Volts. The buffer size stays the same but the buffer fills much faster with 9 fps. I shoot 14 bit RAW lossless compressed plus JPEG fine and did not fall into a full buffer yet. For birds I might fall back to NEF only.

Buffer fills faster with uncompressed than with lossless compressed of course.

PS: my D850 sometimes does not recognize the ENEL18 if an ENEL15 is present. Work around is to open the battery compartmemt, slide theD5 battery out and in again.

Never had that with an empty ENEL15 compartement.

Difference in AF- speed when using ENEL18 vs 15?

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #504 on: October 01, 2018, 22:46:01 »
No difference in AF speed in connection with grip and EN EL18 or other options.
Erik Lund

Frode

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #505 on: October 01, 2018, 22:58:46 »
No difference in AF speed in connection with grip and EN EL18 or other options.

Thank you, Erik, reassuring 🙂.

Then I’ll manage without it.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #506 on: October 01, 2018, 23:02:00 »
I spoke with the Really Right Stuff staff and they tell me they are very aware of the problem of attaching the FTZ adapter has to be taken into account when designing an L-Bracket. While not promising a solution, they are on the case.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #507 on: October 02, 2018, 00:01:50 »
I spoke with the Really Right Stuff staff and they tell me they are very aware of the problem of attaching the FTZ adapter has to be taken into account when designing an L-Bracket. While not promising a solution, they are on the case.
Thats good news. Thanks for the efforts. I like their L-Brackets. I hope they'll find a solution
Wolfgang Rehm

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #508 on: October 02, 2018, 07:49:46 »
It shouldn't be that difficult to design a L-plate that allows for attaching the FTZ adapter (although the tripod mount on the body is rather offset towards the front). The bottom of the Z7 has approximately the same width as a dovetail, and during mounting of the FTZ it will not touch the bottom inner side of the grip or plate. Depending on the clamp design however, it might touch the FTZ.

It will get more complicated however if a mounting plate is to be attached to the FTZ itself. Then, depending on design, all kinds of interferences might occur.

For sure there is a need for such a FTZ plate; with bigger Nikkors without tripod feet (e.g. 105/1.4E) and FTZ it is imho not advisable to clamp the body itself.

chambeshi

« Reply #509 on: October 02, 2018, 08:54:06 »
It is still early days before we see thorough reviews of the Z7, let alone the barely glimpsed Z6. NR have highlighted the more useful rapid appraisals and impressions. Following close on Ming Thein (see link above) Photography Life has put out their Part 1. This is one space I've learnt to watch, and learnt a great deal, including Nikkors telephotos especially. Completing the D850 review took PL well into 2018

https://photographylife.com/nikon-z7-first-impressions-and-sample-photos#comment-269426

I don't normally cross-links posts across Forums but this one caught my eye  ;)
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61734872