Author Topic: Revisiting Australia  (Read 13279 times)

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
Re: Revisiting Australia
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2018, 14:03:39 »
He sure was Fons, while the rest was fighting over scraps he was chilling in the morning sun on the beach by himself.

Two ladies in bikinis walked up to him and sat down within 5 meters or so and he just stayed put, when they left I got into action and he was totally cool with me getting close as well even though I wasn't half as sexy as the two women ;)

Only got two shots off when two obnoxious mountainbikers raced onto the beach and scared him off, as I didn't have my morning coffee at the Village Grind yet I might have been a bit rude in focally expressing my displeasure towards the bikers  ::) ::)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2018, 15:32:58 »
The white pelicans are impressive and quite photogenic, I have shot them nearby, they also gather near a fish cleaning facility
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2018, 19:47:08 »
Very nice captures! And great narrative  ;D
Erik Lund

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2018, 09:56:30 »
Found some time between work and dinner with colleagues to go thru some of the images again and see which are also interesting to post, or at least I hope they are :)

Here's another shot of the Osprey posted before, where the other was posted to set the scene this one provides a closer look of this impressive bird of prey in flight.

Please be aware that I'm still using Capture NX-D for the processing of all the Nikon files, so there's a bit of a learning curve and I'm not getting the full potential out of these images. The Sony files are processed with a Sony only version of Capture One which I master a lot better, it's still to be decided whether to go all in with Capture One for all cameras or use something else entirely for the Nikon files once I've sold the Sony bodies.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2018, 10:16:50 »
On our way to the whales we encountered a few dolphins hoping to ride our bow wave but as we were getting close to the whales we had to slow down so they disappeared as quickly a they appeared. The image is not as sharp as I would've liked and its cropped heavily but hopefully its good enough to contribute to the travel diary for story telling purposes :)

Second shot is a mandatory whale tail shot, this one is from the front and plan to find a suitable one from other side as well with the water dripping off.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2018, 10:43:36 »
In the peak hour whales were popping up all around us, this one came straight up just in front of us while I was holding the D500 with 200-500VR so instead of missing the moment by switching cameras I zoomed out to 200mm and got a close up of the tip of the nose.

The image is uncropped and only processed to high contrast b&w to enhance the amazing details of their bumpy skin.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2018, 10:50:01 »
Hello world in a new setting. Marvellous.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2018, 14:33:45 »
Thanks Jan for sharing all this wonderful trip and images. I´ve miss you and your work.

Great images!

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #83 on: August 16, 2018, 15:43:12 »
Shooting whales is fascinating , really like the close up of the nose

I like the b&w processing
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2018, 16:12:03 »
I knew I captured a dripping tail shot with the 35mm from behind but until now couldn't find, but here it is :)

Cheers,
Jan Anne

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2018, 16:25:16 »
Oleeee

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2018, 10:18:31 »
Thanks Jan for sharing all this wonderful trip and images. I´ve miss you and your work.

Great images!
Likewise amigo :)

When I lived in Amsterdam there was a huge internal drive to travel to escape the small appartment and citylive in general but after I moved to the countryside 2.5 years ago that completely dissapeared and so did my involvement with photography as I mainly do travelphotography nowadays.

The last trip I brought a full set of camera gear was in May 2016 for the NG trip in Scotland which is more two years ago  :o

The plan is to start travelling more so my contributions to the NG community should go up as well :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2018, 10:44:54 »
Wonderful whales! I love the one with the bumpy skin, really your style JA ;)
Erik Lund

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2018, 11:34:41 »
The nose capture is amazing!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2018, 03:10:22 »
Fishermen as shot from the Coogee Beach Hotel balcony.

Shot as framed here at 500mm, really digging the versatility of the 200-500VR but those who own it already figured that out years ago :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne