Author Topic: Revisiting Australia  (Read 13182 times)

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
Re: Revisiting Australia
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2018, 09:59:42 »
So far, so superb. Even if you stopped right now and didn't take another shot, this is already a great series.

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2018, 03:18:27 »
Mongo has now returned after being away in Port Douglas for the last 10 days. Opened up NG to see what you have been up to. Delighted to see you made the best of every moment and venue.  You got your pelicans, whales and a lot more. Great shooting JA !! you have been very versatile with the gear you chose to bring with you.
Cheers from Mongo

Lance B

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2018, 00:17:09 »
In the peak hour whales were popping up all around us, this one came straight up just in front of us while I was holding the D500 with 200-500VR so instead of missing the moment by switching cameras I zoomed out to 200mm and got a close up of the tip of the nose.

The image is uncropped and only processed to high contrast b&w to enhance the amazing details of their bumpy skin.

Fantastic shot, Jan!

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2018, 15:26:06 »
JA, so happy you started sharing your impressive images with us again! Thank you!
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2018, 17:11:32 »
JA -- you need to pick up your camera more often :D

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2018, 21:20:08 »
Thanks to all of you for the nice comments and compliments, really appreciated :)

And yes I really have to shoot more often, I was really rusty in the beginning as I haven't shot action like BIF in ages and was more accustomed to the Sony menus and buttons after 5 years of using the a7 platform but the guys were very helpful in getting me back on track.

Embarrassingly enough I had ask Rob how to setup the AF of the D500 for BIF while in the old days I used to write "how to setup your Nikon Dxx" guides and when Sar mentioned he was shooting in manual exposure mode while I was still struggling in aperture mode a little voice in my head sad something like "of course dumbass" ;D ;D

But with the proper AF modes finally dialed in and using manual exposure mode with centre metering, auto ISO and an -0.7EV correction for the white birds I was finally getting sharp and well exposed birds in flight so by the time I encountered the pelicans it was a simple track the bird and release the shutter exercise :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

FredCrowBear

• NG Supporter
  • Frederick V. Ramsey
« Reply #96 on: August 22, 2018, 02:46:37 »
I'm late to this party!  Fantastic shots, especially the pelicans and the kangaroos. 
Frederick V. Ramsey