Author Topic: Revisiting Australia  (Read 13265 times)

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
Re: Revisiting Australia
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2018, 05:08:40 »
I'm in Hervey Bay btw to shoot some whales, apparently they all moved here to calf so this is where I needed to be :)

Picked up the campervan yesterday in Sydney and drove the biggest part of the 1200km journey up the coast in one go, went for a sleep at 3:30 in the camper and arrived just in time in Hervey Bay this morning to get a quick lunch and catch the 2 o'clock afternoon whale watching trip.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2018, 05:34:23 »
Here's the Kite Mongo sniffed out.

All of a sudden Mongo stopped in his tracks, sniffed the air, grunted a bit and quietly whispered "there's a Kite nearby and he just caught lunch".

To my amazement a Kite flies over seconds later with a small lizard in his claws, guess the rumours about this mythical creature are all true  :o
Cheers,
Jan Anne

46mpx

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2018, 05:43:08 »
I'm Hervey Bay btw to shoot some whales, apparently they all moved here to calf so this is where I needed to be :)

Picked up the campervan yesterday in Sydney and drove the biggest part of the 1200km journey up the coast in one go, went for a sleep at 3:30 in the camper and arrived just in time in Hervey Bay this morning to get a quick lunch and catch the 2 o'clock afternoon whale watching trip.
Yes Hervey Bay is one of the best spots photograph whales.
If you have time, you can go in the Kingfisher Bay resort garden (near the pool) on Fraser Island: amazing birdlife there and also along the beach of the resort.

46mpx

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2018, 05:47:08 »

All of a sudden Mongo stopped in his tracks, sniffed the air, grunted a bit and quietly whispered "there's a Kite nearby and he just caught lunch".

To my amazement a Kite flies over seconds later with a small lizard in his claws, guess the rumours about this mythical creature are all true  :o

Excellent portrait of the Black-Shouldered Kite. It looks like he/she was digesting his/her brunch!

Mongo's bird sniffing abilities are very well known in Sydney!  :)

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2018, 06:29:35 »
that is a darn good Black-Shouldered Kite Jan and definitely worth the sniffing. Mongo knows you got some kestrel photos from our other sniffed out location. It was great to meet you and a great day overall. All of the credit should go to the king sniffer and ace long shot man on the day - Sar ! Although, you were in very good company with our other friends and ace shots. Shame Lance could not be there who is a super birder and long lens man.

On your way back to Sydney, you will pass Nelson Bay (which is really a collection of  4 or 5 beautiful small bays). Remember, the Village Grind for coffee and Little Beach for heaps of pelicans up very close.

Enjoy your holiday and you are very welcome back any time.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2018, 07:01:08 »
Thanks gentlemen for the compliments and correction, I’ve updated my story accordingly :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Lance B

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2018, 08:34:02 »

Great Black Shouldered Kite shot, Jan! Looks like a very productive day by all! Glad you could get some decent shots and had a safe trip to Hervey Bay. Enjoy your time.

marco

• NG Member
  • Enjoy life
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2018, 09:50:19 »
Enjoy your stay JA and keep the pics comming! would like to go back there one day since it has been 25 years ago since i backpacked that amazing country!

Say hi to Sheila for me
Marco slaghuis

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2018, 13:04:00 »
Great shots, JA. The new Gear gives very good results, nice.  Enjoy your special Australian trip !

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2018, 13:46:49 »
It looks you’re enjoying you’re time.  :D
Chris Dees

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2018, 14:29:27 »

Wow, Mongo, you keep me amazed!!!

Jan, this is a great capture!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2018, 14:30:20 »
Great Black Shouldered Kite shot, Jan! Looks like a very productive day by all! Glad you could get some decent shots and had a safe trip to Hervey Bay. Enjoy your time.

Hi, Lance, great to see you here!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2018, 16:23:37 »
... and the Mongo legend lives on ;D

good luck on your whale watching, hopefully you get a decent size boat, I can't imagine handling the 200-500 on a small one
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

enough

• NG Member
  • Anything wild
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2018, 05:15:42 »
If you are stopping at Port Stephens for the coffee or the Pelicans, there is lots to photograph.  A visit to Mambo wetlands is worth it (not the least as there is a chance we are going to lose them), lots of beach / sunrise / sunset opportunities.  More whale watching, either via one of the commercial operations (can recommend Imagine Cruises if you want to go out), or go to the headland at Boat Harbour to watch the humpbacks from the shore.
Mark Doro

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2018, 06:59:17 »
Thanks Mark, any good camping spots for an RV you can recommend?

On my way to Byron Bay now and tomorrow Ill head to Nelson Bay / Port Stephens for the coffee and pelicans :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne