Author Topic: Arrival of Nikon mirrorless (finally!)  (Read 44483 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Arrival of Nikon mirrorless (finally!)
« Reply #135 on: July 30, 2018, 18:01:49 »
It’s rather a 4.4 Mpx EVF. I had the SL 601 at home for a week. I was not impressed at all by this EVF, and completely unusable for action/sport photography.

Oh, yes, 4.4MP!  Apparently Digital Leica is not designed for shooting fast movements or movie.  Also, the refresh rate (of both the sensor and the EVF) could be too low?
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #136 on: July 30, 2018, 18:13:11 »
i'd be happy even if it didn't have an EVF. I would just use my Nikon S finders and just focus with the LCD when I want to focus :o :o :o

everybody has different goals, for me it's just to use my Nikon S mount lenses ::)

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #137 on: July 30, 2018, 18:49:58 »
Could the bigger mount facilitate a square 36x36mm sensor?

Most images are used in a rectangular format rather than square, and a square sensor would be expensive and much of the image would be thrown away when making a rectangular image. Furthermore existing FX lenses would not give a full image.

When looking at the current rumors I can’t find any new game changing features Nikon are rumored to deliver with their new mirroless platform.

Well, Nikon have released very little in terms of details of the camera.

Why does everything need to be "game changing?"

I think if the cameras work well and are pleasing to use, they will probably sell well.

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
« Reply #138 on: July 30, 2018, 19:17:55 »

The marketing department wants to keep their job.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #139 on: July 30, 2018, 19:35:05 »

I think if the cameras work well and are pleasing to use, they will probably sell well.
Fully agree, I'd rather have a working camera than have cool new features on a broken camera system.

But I remember vaguely that Nikon was planning some never seen before features which makes me rather curious what that could be :)

I can only come up with a new sensor size or technology, global shutter (yes please), replaceable sensor filterpack for IR, UV, etc (yes please), etc.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #140 on: July 30, 2018, 19:53:54 »
The marketing department wants to keep their job.
Plus how is Nikon else going to convince the DSLR crowd and /or those whom moved to the Sony or Fuji mirrorless ecosystems to the new Nikon platform?

My move to mirrorless was driven by the urge to cherrypick legendary lenses cross different camera makes and mounts but Sony's support was rather lacking in this regard as their main focus was selling new lenses. Simple Nikon features like the ability to register which cpu-less lens is mounted for a proper EXIF registration would appeal greatly to the manual focus crowd as well as adapters for all the lenses Nikon ever made like the Nikon-S rangefinder lenses which could finally be used again on a digital Nikon FX camera.

These are not game changing features but really desirable ones for a big part of the would be customers of the new platform :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #141 on: July 30, 2018, 20:08:41 »
Plus how is Nikon else going to convince the DSLR crowd and /or those whom moved to the Sony or Fuji mirrorless ecosystems to the new Nikon platform?

The trend is towards mirrorless increasing its market share and Nikon want a part of this business.

I don't think they want DSLR users to move to the new mount but offer it to those who want a mirrorless.

My move to mirrorless was driven by the urge to cherrypick legendary lenses cross different camera makes and mounts

I don't believe Nikon want this to happen. I am sure Nikon want customers to buy new Nikon lenses for the new mirrorless camera and certainly not third party.

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #142 on: July 30, 2018, 20:22:27 »
I am sure that the mirrorless Nikon will find many enthusiastic buyers but I will be staying with my fabulous D5: a machine which never fails to deliver exactly what I ask of it under all weather and physical conditions — day and night.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #143 on: July 30, 2018, 21:32:52 »
The trend is towards mirrorless increasing its market share and Nikon want a part of this business.

I don't think they want DSLR users to move to the new mount but offer it to those who want a mirrorless.

I don't believe Nikon want this to happen. I am sure Nikon want customers to buy new Nikon lenses for the new mirrorless camera and certainly not third party.

+1
Carl

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #144 on: July 30, 2018, 22:53:11 »

The 1 series reflects exactly that ,  oddball limited functionality when used with the ft1 adapter:
ie: longest exposure on the 1 series when using the FT1 adapter is 1 second , and 30 secs with native 1 lenses
ie: AF with F mount afs lenses is limited to the center focus point

Lets wait another 4 weeks for the formal announcement
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #145 on: July 30, 2018, 23:16:13 »
Unless there is a quantum leap in EVF functionality, the camera holds little interest to me. For the majority of my photography all current EVF's are not suitable. Although for a small percentage of my work an EVF would be invaluable.

Thankfully Nikon seem committed to supplying OVF camera's for the foreseeable future.

If the expected Z to F mount adapters are practical. I imagine Nikon will adopt the Z mount for all future FX camera's.
Bez

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #146 on: July 31, 2018, 01:33:12 »

Thankfully Nikon seem committed to supplying OVF camera's for the foreseeable future.

If the expected Z to F mount adapters are practical. I imagine Nikon will adopt the Z mount for all future FX camera's.

I don’t think you will see Z mount on all cameras. Main reason for DSLRs is it does not have enough depth to accommodate a flapping mirror. And if you take the diameter of the Z mount and mount it at same distance from focal plane as F mount (call it the F+) then you’ve created a camera which can’t use legacy f mount lenses.

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #147 on: July 31, 2018, 07:27:53 »

Lets wait another 4 weeks for the formal announcement
Armando, I'm with you on waiting to see.  I still have hopes that Nikon will surprise me, like the D3/D700.
I really do not want or need a camera that is trying to be a Smartphone .
Cheers
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #148 on: July 31, 2018, 09:23:53 »
Most images are used in a rectangular format rather than square, and a square sensor would be expensive and much of the image would be thrown away when making a rectangular image.

If I may comment on this, just as a heads up for Creativity over Numbers :) You are of course right in your line of thought for what os 99.9% the actual product we will see! I agree with that ;)

So you argue that the square Hasselblad images where a waste of area,,, Your line of thought here is a little tightly bound to a cool calculation of numbers, rather than freedom to express yourself ;)
Sure as the photographer you decide on the crop, in principle often this is the case yes, however in reality for many photographers they deliver an image to be used elsewhere, where the image is cropped and used together with text  graphics etc. so a lot of the times it's anway cropped if we like it or not. Sometimes this is know before the shoot, but often not so I usually alway have to shoot the same subjects both on portrait and landscape orientation to make sure there is both versions,,,

There are several benefits of starting out with a square image, your freedom to crop in post processing is greatly enhanced the more area you have top and bottom or right left, very often layout or design requires many different shapes apart , not just a rectangle.
Art directors and the like, really like to have the ability to crop, and the high MP count of today greatly gives more opportunity for this.
As I recall several of the digital Medium format cameras has formats, sensors that are more square-ish that rectangular.

I see a huge benefit of supplying a square image as a base for some medium format jobs,,,
Square images could be used much more creatively especially with the two industri standard formats that are rapidly taking over much of the way we see images, smartphones and wide computer and television displays, sure rotating the smartphone does work but functionality suffers,,, most app's really doesn't support rotating fully.
I often see these 'auto' generated square thumbnails online, often resulting in very silly looking images  :o  if not a human has been involved,,,

Most likely there will not be a square sensor in the new Nikon, i agree, but please leave us the freedom to crop as we please  ;D 

IMG_0546 by Erik Gunst Lund, on Flickr

My favorite layouter
Erik Lund

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #149 on: July 31, 2018, 10:07:34 »
May be a thought should be given to a circular sensor 😉
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν