Author Topic: Arrival of Nikon mirrorless (finally!)  (Read 44470 times)

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Arrival of Nikon mirrorless (finally!)
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2018, 02:48:42 »
Internet aside, in Spain is close to 3500€/4000$, quite a difference

fish_shooter

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Salmonography.com
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2018, 03:01:47 »
In my country it is 1070€ more expensive than at B&H. A part of the difference is VAT but much of it is just Nikon charging more, it seems. In Germany, the price is a bit lower but still it is nothing like the U.S. price.

Wow, that is a whole lot more!! I wonder how much of that is needed to fund your distributor assuming you have one for your country. With the EU it could make sense to have one for the whole EU much like there is one for the whole USA and not one for each state. Different languages, however, might be a problem (though what is called English in parts of the US is barely understandable).

In May I was in Anchorage and visited the big camera store there - Stewarts. They had 11 850's on back order at that time. Meanwhile they had not sold any Canon 5D series bodies in over a year.

fish_shooter

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Salmonography.com
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2018, 03:09:00 »
Internet aside, in Spain is close to 3500€/4000$, quite a difference

In the US we call that price gouging. Such as ticket sales at sold-out events by people outside the event.

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2018, 03:18:59 »
Is D850 that highly priced in Europe?  The prices here in Japan is roughly the same as in the States, and the cameras are readily available.

I paid my D850 the equivalent of €3'000 (CHF 3'500, VAT included) with an extra free battery. VAT in Switzerland is 7.6%. The body was immediately available (end June 2018). For us, VAT at 20% (⅕th of the price), or more, sounds like a genuine ripoff  ;)
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2018, 04:06:04 »
Ilkka, Paco and Christian, thank you for the response.  That is quite a difference.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2018, 05:47:03 »
This highly anticipated moment in time has finally arrived and plan to sell my Sony's and play around with Nikon gear again.

Hope the stabilised sensor is indeed one of the features as it indeed breathes new life into some classic lenses (like my A7RII did).

The new cameras should be present at the Photokina coming September, all the more reason to go there once more :)
J.A., I am looking forward to seeing exactly what is on offer. Not sure the Sony gear will be on the chopping block but it could spell the end for some of our m43 gear.  My wife has just started using the Sony stuff, not quite there yet with the user interface but loves the ISO range.   I have developed a great affection for some of my Leica M, VM and ZM lenses so will see what can be adapted to the Nikons.  I've never stopped playing around with my Nikon gear since playing around is what I do most often  ;) .   I really look forward to user thoughts here once the new gear is out.   I started selling some Sony FE lenses some months ago.
I really hope the new Nikons are more robust with better weather resistance than the Sony bodies.
All the best,
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2018, 06:51:18 »
Here is an official announcement on the new mirrorless camera:

https://www.nikon.co.jp/news/2018/0725_mirrorless_01.htm

The announcement is in Japanese, but it clearly states that the mount is new, and the Nikkor lenses for Nikon (D)SLRs can be used "via a mount adapter".  It doesn't specify the compatible Nikkor lenses, though.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2018, 06:54:05 »

The announcement is in Japanese, but it clearly states that the mount is new, and the Nikkor lenses for Nikon (D)SLRs can be used "via a mount adapter".  It doesn't specify the compatible Nikkor lenses, though.

full compatibility. trust me on this :o :o :o

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2018, 06:57:03 »

Development of a next-generation full-frame mirrorless camera and NIKKOR lenses — featuring a new mount — that pursues a new dimension in optical performance
July 25, 2018

TOKYO - Nikon Corporation (Nikon) is pleased to announce the development of a full-frame, Nikon FX-format, mirrorless camera and NIKKOR lenses featuring a new mount.

The mirrorless camera and NIKKOR lenses that are in development have enabled the pursuit of a new dimension in optical performance, with the adoption of a new mount. The mirrorless camera is the result of Nikon's advanced optical and manufacturing capabilities gained through over a century of heritage, as well as superior image-processing technology. The expertise built up through the development of Nikon's digital SLR cameras has also critically contributed to this development.

With this new mirrorless camera and NIKKOR lenses, we are committed to providing photographers with the ability to capture images that are richer and more vivid than ever before.

Additionally, a new mount adapter is being developed for the new mirrorless camera. This will work with the NIKKOR F mount lenses that are part of the Nikon digital SLR system, adding to the variety of choices for photographers.

Nikon will continue to lead imaging culture with the launch of this new mirrorless camera, as well as with the continued development of Nikon digital SLR cameras, providing consumers with the choice of enjoying the unique values of either system.

will

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2018, 07:00:23 »

English version: http://www.nikon.com.au/en_AU/about/product_news/development-of-a-next-generation-full-frame-mirrorless

The relevant parts...

The mirrorless camera and NIKKOR lenses that are in development have enabled the pursuit of a new dimension in optical performance, with the adoption of a new mount.

And
Additionally, a new mount adapter is being developed for the new mirrorless camera. This will work with the F-Mount NIKKOR lenses that are part of the Nikon digital-SLR system, adding to the variety of choices for photographers.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2018, 08:40:05 »
This highly anticipated moment in time has finally arrived and plan to sell my Sony's and play around with Nikon gear again.

Hope the stabilised sensor is indeed one of the features as it indeed breathes new life into some classic lenses (like my A7RII did).

The new cameras should be present at the Photokina coming September, all the more reason to go there once more :)
Yes! Welcome back ;)
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2018, 08:40:47 »
JA, another get-together is more than welcome :)
Sounds like a good plan  8)
Erik Lund

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2018, 08:58:47 »
Well, it's been in stock here continuously since December.

I think Nikon USA underpriced the camera and Nikon Europe overpriced it, resulting in a shortage in US and ready availability in EU (but perhaps fewer buyers). I think Nikon don't want to move stock to the US from other areas because they make less money on each unit sold there than elsewhere.

IMO the lack of supply in the US problem could be solved by bringing the prices closer to each other.

One guy in the distribution chain told me that Nikon in Japan receives the same amount of money for every camera independent of the channel. I am not sure if National Nikons are 100% owned by Nikon in Japan, I guess they are not. If that is the case, Nikon does not make more money here or there. It depends on details of ownership
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2018, 09:01:55 »
IMHO this statement says a lot about the whole DSLR vs. Mirrorless debate that has been all the fuss the last years on all photography forums! it's not and will most likely never ba one or the other but both and  8)  Plus the never dying rangefinder minority  ;D

Nikon will continue to lead imaging culture with the launch of the new mirrorless camera, as well as with the continued development of Nikon digital-SLR cameras, providing consumers with the choices to enjoy the unique values of either system.
Erik Lund

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2018, 09:03:12 »
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/