Author Topic: Arrival of Nikon mirrorless (finally!)  (Read 44488 times)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
Re: Arrival of Nikon mirrorless (finally!)
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2018, 14:38:44 »
Sounds logical, but what a bad presentation.  Really bad.

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2018, 15:07:30 »
Sounds logical, but what a bad presentation.  Really bad.

In that case, you didn’t know Theoria Apophasis  ;) But he’s is often wrong.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2018, 15:17:52 »
In that case, you didn’t know Theoria Apophasis  ;) But he’s is often wrong.

:o :o :o

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2018, 15:37:22 »
It seems that the F-mount anti-clockwise lensmount closing direction is retained; right hand holding the camera, left hand gripping the lens with left thumb pressing the unlock button. Good!

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2018, 17:28:36 »
Seapy- After reading about the difficulty of processing D850 images, I am rethinking my decision to go with the D850. The D810 and, based on some comments Akira made,  the D750, are now back in the mix. Used D810s can be found on Ebay for around $1250. The D750 is a little less.  I’m not sure whether the increase in iq from my 20mp D500 to a 24mp D750 would get me where I want to be, so I need to read a few reviews  and then perhaps come back and ask some questions before I buy.

Sorry for going off topic. Arthur, I went the other way, swapping the D750 for the D500. My primary reason was that I had serious reliability issues with the D750 and after it failed a third time in less than 70k actuations, I just didn't trust it anymore.

I shoot primarily birds, night/starscapes and some daytime landscapes, general wildlife and a fair amount of aircraft.

For birds, the D500 is undeniably better. The same applies to aircraft in flight, from the ground. In these applications, the crop factor more than compensates for any IQ loss except in very bad light, and the improvements in handling, speed and especially AF performance are very welcome.

For daytime landscapes (assuming you have lenses that deliver similar results on the different formats), I think there is little difference between the two, although the D750 has slightly more pliable files, but this is easily compensated nowadays by doing an HDR.

For star and night landscapes, the D750 is the clear winner, and is probably even better than the D810 in some respects (primarily the pivoting LCD makes this form of photography much easier), but I suspect in image quality the D810 will win, but the D850 should beat that too...

I would love to suppliment my D500 with a D810, but would not swap.

But I attended a talk by a couple of SA's most prominent nature photographers. One of them (Wim van den Heever, if you want to look at his work) stated that in his mind the D850 is currently by a long marging the best nature camera in the world. He has replaced all his cameras (D5, D500 and D810) with a pair of D850's...

When shooting birds, using it in crop mode gives equal or better performance of the D500 in almost all respects, while delivering similar file sizes to the 24MP cameras...

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2018, 17:29:07 »
:o :o :o

I remember two false news he send around with regard of the D850: (1) sensor produced by TowerJaz; (2) D850 with a hybrid viewfinder i.e OVF and EVF. But I like quite this atypical person.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2018, 18:57:42 »
Sorry for going off topic. Arthur, I went the other way, swapping the D750 for the D500. My primary reason was that I had serious reliability issues with the D750 and after it failed a third time in less than 70k actuations, I just didn't trust it anymore.

I shoot primarily birds, night/starscapes and some daytime landscapes, general wildlife and a fair amount of aircraft.

For birds, the D500 is undeniably better. The same applies to aircraft in flight, from the ground. In these applications, the crop factor more than compensates for any IQ loss except in very bad light, and the improvements in handling, speed and especially AF performance are very welcome.

For daytime landscapes (assuming you have lenses that deliver similar results on the different formats), I think there is little difference between the two, although the D750 has slightly more pliable files, but this is easily compensated nowadays by doing an HDR.

For star and night landscapes, the D750 is the clear winner, and is probably even better than the D810 in some respects (primarily the pivoting LCD makes this form of photography much easier), but I suspect in image quality the D810 will win, but the D850 should beat that too...

I would love to suppliment my D500 with a D810, but would not swap.

But I attended a talk by a couple of SA's most prominent nature photographers. One of them (Wim van den Heever, if you want to look at his work) stated that in his mind the D850 is currently by a long marging the best nature camera in the world. He has replaced all his cameras (D5, D500 and D810) with a pair of D850's...

When shooting birds, using it in crop mode gives equal or better performance of the D500 in almost all respects, while delivering similar file sizes to the 24MP cameras...

From everything I've read, and without the benefit of personal hands on experience with the D850, I think he is right. I just don't want to get myself in a position where I'm going to have to spend a ton on computers and software, (in addition to the cost of the camera and some not inexpensive lenses) to be able to process the images. Photography  is a hobby for me, not a business, so I have to exercise some restraint in my purchases (but not so much as to prevent me from purchasing the 300mm  f/4 PF ED VR lens I so covet ;D).

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2018, 19:14:32 »
what Peter Connan says is sooo true.

In my case it was replacement of the D600, which I regard higher than the D750 in build quality, with the D850. A giant leap forward: reliability, AF, base ISO till mid ISO IQ, the very consistent white balance. After a while you do not overshoot so much anymore but learn to trust the professional tool rid yourself of bad habits that come with mediocre tools.

The D500 is a very trustworthy professional tool like the D5 and D850. Do not underestimate that.

The D810 is a professional reliable tool too, but the step up to the D850 in billions of little details that reward you every day is worth the difference.

I get my results with the D850 in 1 or 2 shots instead of 6 or 8 for the D600. White Balance and AF are the main issues
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2018, 22:44:23 »
This highly anticipated moment in time has finally arrived and plan to sell my Sony's and play around with Nikon gear again.

Hope the stabilised sensor is indeed one of the features as it indeed breathes new life into some classic lenses (like my A7RII did).

The new cameras should be present at the Photokina coming September, all the more reason to go there once more :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2018, 23:57:01 »
Apparently Nikon is directing much of its production resource for the new mirrorless model.

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/07/24/today-its-july-24th-and-the-nikon-d850-is-still-out-of-stock-in-the-us.aspx/
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2018, 00:12:01 »
Well, it's been in stock here continuously since December.

I think Nikon USA underpriced the camera and Nikon Europe overpriced it, resulting in a shortage in US and ready availability in EU (but perhaps fewer buyers). I think Nikon don't want to move stock to the US from other areas because they make less money on each unit sold there than elsewhere.

IMO the lack of supply in the US problem could be solved by bringing the prices closer to each other.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2018, 00:25:54 »

The new cameras should be present at the Photokina coming September, all the more reason to go there once more :)

JA, another get-together is more than welcome :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2018, 02:09:57 »
Well, it's been in stock here continuously since December.

I think Nikon USA underpriced the camera and Nikon Europe overpriced it, resulting in a shortage in US and ready availability in EU (but perhaps fewer buyers). I think Nikon don't want to move stock to the US from other areas because they make less money on each unit sold there than elsewhere.

IMO the lack of supply in the US problem could be solved by bringing the prices closer to each other.

Is D850 that highly priced in Europe?  The prices here in Japan is roughly the same as in the States, and the cameras are readily available.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2018, 02:30:29 »
Is D850 that highly priced in Europe?  The prices here in Japan is roughly the same as in the States, and the cameras are readily available.

In my country it is 1070€ more expensive than at B&H. A part of the difference is VAT but much of it is just Nikon charging more, it seems. In Germany, the price is a bit lower but still it is nothing like the U.S. price.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2018, 02:32:18 »

europe is very expensive  :o :o :o