Author Topic: AF-Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8  (Read 11302 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
AF-Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8
« on: May 27, 2018, 02:51:23 »
http://richardhaw.com/2018/05/22/repair-af-micro-nikkor-55mm-f-2-8/

Hello! just published this last week. was too tired and busy so I forgot all about it  :o :o :o

Seapy

• NG Member
Re: AF-Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 11:17:44 »
Thanks Richard, I enjoy reading your lens reconditioning articles.

I was particularly pleased to find the article contains a link to the micro Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 Ais, a lens I own and love.  I was a bit dismayed when I read that you would not recommend anyone to buy the micro Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 Ais lens.  I got rid of my micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D which I had bought new and replaced it with a nice, used 55 - f/2.8.

While others may disagree, for me AF has no place in close up photography, the 60 - f/2.8D isn't easy to manually focus, I would never swap back.  The 55 - f/2.8 is one of my most used lenses, silky smooth and sharp as anything, although that was on D200 (DX of course) now I am enjoying my D3, I have acquired a micro Nikkor 105mm f/4.0 which is superb on FX for my flower photography.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 12:15:44 »
Thanks Richard, I enjoy reading your lens reconditioning articles.

I was particularly pleased to find the article contains a link to the micro Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 Ais, a lens I own and love.  I was a bit dismayed when I read that you would not recommend anyone to buy the micro Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 Ais lens.  I got rid of my micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D which I had bought new and replaced it with a nice, used 55 - f/2.8.

While others may disagree, for me AF has no place in close up photography, the 60 - f/2.8D isn't easy to manually focus, I would never swap back.  The 55 - f/2.8 is one of my most used lenses, silky smooth and sharp as anything, although that was on D200 (DX of course) now I am enjoying my D3, I have acquired a micro Nikkor 105mm f/4.0 which is superb on FX for my flower photography.

what I meant is the 55/2.8AF. :)

the 55/2.8 Ai-S is very good :D Nikon still makes it new up til this day  :o :o :o

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 12:56:38 »
what I meant is the 55/2.8AF. :)

the 55/2.8 Ai-S is very good :D Nikon still makes it new up til this day  :o :o :o

Sorry, my confusion!   ;D ;D ;D
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 12:57:34 »
That's what I thought  ;) Thanks Richard for the show of the very rare AF version (never saw any). My trusty 55mm f/2.8 AI-s is now in my daughter hands with the D3x, so I guess I'll try to get another one at the Photo fair of Bièvres on the first week end of june...  8)
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

asting

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 01:53:29 »
http://richardhaw.com/2018/05/22/repair-af-micro-nikkor-55mm-f-2-8/

Hello! just published this last week. was too tired and busy so I forgot all about it  :o :o :o
Hi Richard,

I just got an AF 55mm Micro, and it doesn't seem recognized when i mount to my cameras. Is there a way to replace the IC/chip? Any idea on source or other fixes? I haven't torn into it yet.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2019, 02:51:52 »
That's what I thought  ;) Thanks Richard for the show of the very rare AF version (never saw any). My trusty 55mm f/2.8 AI-s is now in my daughter hands with the D3x, so I guess I'll try to get another one at the Photo fair of Bièvres on the first week end of june...  8)

i have one here in very good condition. thinking of selling it  :o :o :o

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 02:52:37 »
Hi Richard,

I just got an AF 55mm Micro, and it doesn't seem recognized when i mount to my cameras. Is there a way to replace the IC/chip? Any idea on source or other fixes? I haven't torn into it yet.

hi, i will start with the contacts. get a pencil eraser and scrub it a bit and see what happenses.  :o :o :o

asting

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2019, 03:19:26 »
hi, i will start with the contacts. get a pencil eraser and scrub it a bit and see what happenses.  :o :o :o
Unfortunately, still nothing. It thinks i'm using a non-cpu lens. I also tried a bit of lens cleaner and a microfiber cloth with no luck.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2019, 04:31:52 »
Unfortunately, still nothing. It thinks i'm using a non-cpu lens. I also tried a bit of lens cleaner and a microfiber cloth with no luck.
i hope it's not damaged by magnets  :o :o :o

asting

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2019, 14:50:34 »
i hope it's not damaged by magnets  :o :o :o
I didn't realize that was a risk! It was sold to me as AF not working with a lot, I thought it might be a mechanical, not electrical issue.

I tried some google fu but wasn't seeing replacement IC parts for it. Any other thoughts? I might ask my lens guy, but i fear it won't be worth it. I do have the 60mm AF, so it definitely has some redundancy in my kit (as well as a couple 55mm F3.5s)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2019, 17:46:31 »
I love my 55/2.8 AF.  I find my sample better than the Ai-s version and the later 60/2.8 AF-D. Also very good for non macro work.

asting

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2019, 23:57:11 »
Ugh found a copy on a remote craigslist that has bad optics, but AF/other functions all work. He won't ship of course.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2019, 03:35:15 »
I love my 55/2.8 AF.  I find my sample better than the Ai-s version and the later 60/2.8 AF-D. Also very good for non macro work.

the wider depth of field helps a bit  :o :o :o

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2019, 03:36:04 »
Ugh found a copy on a remote craigslist that has bad optics, but AF/other functions all work. He won't ship of course.

your best bet is to look for junks at ebay.  :o :o :o

why not try repairing it?