Author Topic: NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED (The Best Hiking Telephoto Lens ever)  (Read 21892 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED (The Best Hiking Telephoto Lens ever)
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2018, 08:34:31 »
god is dead, long live god! (=Easter Sunday in the Christian tradition)

D500 & 4/300PF

1) 1/25th of a second
2) 1/320th of a second
3) in flight
4) Whole of 1
5) Whole of 2
6) Another Whole
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2018, 11:57:31 »
I like the first one a lot, Frank. Shooting it from the back yet showing it all gives an unusual and efficient expression to the blackbird. We're not looking at it, were looking with it.  Great composition.
Bruno Schröder

JKoerner007

« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2018, 00:44:32 »
god is dead, long live god! (=Easter Sunday in the Christian tradition)

D500 & 4/300PF

1) 1/25th of a second
2) 1/320th of a second
3) in flight
4) Whole of 1
5) Whole of 2
6) Another Whole

Nice shots, Frank. :D

Here are some recent results from a hike this morning ... all these are hand-held ... all taken with the D500 + 300 f/4E PF ED + 1.4x TCE III:

Desert Cottontail (Sylvilagus audubonnii) 1/1250 | f/5.6 | ISO 640 - 15% cropped-in

Lesser Goldfinch (Spinus psaltria) 1/320 | f/5.6 | ISO 640 - 20% cropped-in

Lesser Goldfinch (Spinus psaltria) 1/400 | f/5.6 | ISO 640 - 15% cropped-in

White-Crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia leucophrys) 1/320 | f/5.6 | ISO 640 - No Crop

Dark-Eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis) 1/320 | f/5.6 | ISO 640 - 10% cropped-in

After a month of using this gem, it is without question the most valuable single wildlife lens I have.

I had a little bit of "seller's remorse," after selling my 300 f/2.8 VR II, replacing it with this one ... but now ... I never want to see the f/2.8 version again.

Completely satisfied with the trade-off, my virtually-weightless, hands-free autonomy ... and would never go back to that front-heavy, cumbersome prime + tripod again ... so it's a satisfied good riddance :)

The 300mm f/4E PF ED is a delight to use and produces more than acceptable results ...

If someone were to put a gun to my head, and make me go down to "one" lens, this would be it!

If they were generous, and let me have "three" ... those three would be 1) the 300 PF + 1.4 TC; 2) the CV 125; and 3) the Zeiss 25 f/2.8.

I can do pretty much anything I want to do on a hike with these 3 lenses.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2018, 02:27:40 »
You are obviously a very experienced and talented guy with a lot of time and energy to invest into this kind of photography.

How do you see all these birds?
How do you get near enough to shoot them from these perspectives?
How many hours do you throw in?

As a family man with kids & wife & job & money projects & unpaid projects & household & friends I do not see any of this before I retire or the kids are on their own feet, whatever happens first. When my youngest finishes university I will be ~72, so probably I will retire first. Or , of course , one of my money projects will make me rich and I can retire early , but still my youngest will be out of the house in 12 years, hopefully not much dependent on us in 9???
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

JKoerner007

« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2018, 05:45:55 »
You are obviously a very experienced and talented guy with a lot of time and energy to invest into this kind of photography.
As a family man with kids & wife & job & money projects & unpaid projects & household & friends I do not see any of this before I retire or the kids are on their own feet, whatever happens first. When my youngest finishes university I will be ~72, so probably I will retire first. Or , of course , one of my money projects will make me rich and I can retire early , but still my youngest will be out of the house in 12 years, hopefully not much dependent on us in 9???

Thank you for the compliment ... and, while I do have a lot of energy, sadly I have little time for wildlife photography :(

I am a casualty investigator, serving the most populated, litigious counties in the United States (Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego).

I work 250+ hrs/month ... but I do operate out of a home office.

Another perk is every lens I purchase for wildlife photography is a tax write-off, as I also use my equipment as an investigator :D

How do you see all these birds?

I know where to look :)

How do you get near enough to shoot them from these perspectives?

Now that is an interesting, multi-dimensional question.

First of all, I add the 1.4x TCE III.

The second answer is more complex, so I will share some secrets 8)
  • By far the easiest way is put bird feeders out in your yard (different types, for different birds), and wait to shoot them in the nearby trees/shrubs;
  • Buy field guides, learn about and study birds, and go to geographical places the species you enjoy are likely to be, when they're likely to be there;
  • Buy the program iBird Pro or iBird Ultimate (or something comparable for your location). These are phone apps that give bird calls of any species in your area. This can encourage closer approach;
  • Become a member of eBird (a project of the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, along with founding partner The Audubon Society) in order to find "hot spots" in your area;
  • Get to know one or two "hot spot" areas near your home really, really well;
  • When you approach birds, move slowly, calmly, nonchalantly.
If you add all those factors up, even with a couple hours a day, a few times/week, you should have lots of opportunities.

For example, those shots taken above I took during a two hour hike.
The following shots, at the bottom, I took on a 1.5 hour lunch break yesterday:

The shots at the bottom should give you an idea as to how close I got, as well as the value of this little 300mm f/4 PF.
  • The top two shots (at the bottom) were taken with the 300 f/4 PF + 1.4x TC on a D500 (effective reach of 630mm);
  • The middle shot was taken with the Voigtländer 125mm f/2.5 Apo Macro on a D810;
  • The bottom shot was taken with the Zeiss 25mm f/2.8 on a D810.
These are not "park ducks," that will eat out of your hand; they're wild mallards that will take-off the first "crack" of leaves/sticks they hear when you come toward them a hundred yards away.
I have seen them many times, over the last 4 years I've lived here, and this was the first time I've ever got close enough to shoot them.
Apparently, in keeping with #5 above, by hiking the area regularly, these ducks have apparently gotten used to me.

I got to within maybe 125-150 feet of them ... a useless distance for a 25mm ... or a 125mm macro ... but more than close enough for my new "favorite lens" :D

How many hours do you throw in?

Honestly, 1-2 hrs/day, usually 1-3x week. That's all I have time for :(

Unless I go on a vacation :)

I am going to Madera Canyon, AZ at the end of April and will spend 5 days birding in one of the top 4 spots in the US ... hope to get some cool shots 8)

Hope the info helps,

Jack

JKoerner007

« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2018, 05:47:52 »
For some reason the name didn't pop-up in the 3rd image. It was taken with a Voigtländer 125mm f2.5 Apo Macro on a D810.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2018, 07:18:09 »
Very generous. Thank you. I will check out which of these conditions can be reproduced in Western Germany. Biodiversity of birds without a significant drive is not comparable to Southern California. My own garden I do not have yet. Which birder society exists here I do not know and there is a billions of reading stuff to do for my work that does not concern birds.

My take home lesson is that to take great shots of birds you have to make a decision that you want to invest the nevessary time to learn and prepare for it. If I decide to set other priorities I will not take shots of birds that can come close to yours.

Thank you again

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2018, 12:47:54 »
No need for a garden, Frank. Half an hour at a pet store and 1 hour max to set up can bring you over 20 bird species in front of your window. In order not to hijack this thread, I'm opening a new thread on "How to see them".

To know which birds are around you, you can go here: http://www.ornitho.de/. If you register, you have access to maps. Lots of info also here: http://www.dda-web.de/

Bruno Schröder

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2018, 16:57:59 »
Bruno: wonderful. we should create a "birding basics" NG meetup

JKoerner007

« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2018, 18:19:42 »
Very generous. Thank you. I will check out which of these conditions can be reproduced in Western Germany. Biodiversity of birds without a significant drive is not comparable to Southern California. My own garden I do not have yet. Which birder society exists here I do not know and there is a billions of reading stuff to do for my work that does not concern birds.

You bet, Frank.

I am not sure what avian biodiversity is in Germany, but it is likely greater than you think :)

Me? I live 3.5 miles from San Dimas Canyon, where I am in the uninhabited mountains within a 5 min drive.

Even if this were not available to me, there are several botanical gardens available, which local birds tend to use as a sanctuary.

I am sure there are similar botanical gardens close to you.

My take home lesson is that to take great shots of birds you have to make a decision that you want to invest the nevessary time to learn and prepare for it. If I decide to set other priorities I will not take shots of birds that can come close to yours.
Thank you again

Well, you have to invest some time and effort into 'anything' if you expect to get improved results.

It is not realistic to think you can make 'no effort at all' and vastly improve in anything, with great images flying into your camera without you doing 'anything extra' to make that happen ::)

Your priorities are yours, so I can't make those kinds of decisions for you; I can only make suggestions (since you asked). I cannot, however, compel you to implement the suggestions (i.e., horses and water).

So you're right, a person's priorities determine their results as well as their improvements in yielding them.

For example, you will never see me with a 'polar bear' portfolio, as I have neither the time nor the bankroll to fund weeks-long adventures up into the Alaskan frontiers necessary to photograph these amazing animals. Same thing with lions, cheetahs, and the like: I don't have the time nor the bankroll to fund weeks-long adventures into Africa any time soon. However, I surely do appreciate the sacrifices of time, effort, and expenses put into the results of those who have and do produce these amazing images.

The cool thing about bird photography is you do not have to make that much of a sacrifice of your time/effort expense to get some very nice images :D

Items 1-6, that I listed above, only involve local efforts. But they do involve 'some' extra effort, albeit not really that much.

Bruno's suggestion is exactly the kind of small extra effort which will lead you to these improvements, and are essentially items #1, 4, and 5 I mentioned above. Developing new connections/friends of like-minded local birders (for meets and park-walks) is extremely helpful, and perhaps the best way to learn of 'local hotspots' (Item 5) in your area. (In fact, the D500 + 300mm PF is literally advertised with this in mind.)

But, the same principle applies with all photography: if you want to take shots of rock musicians and nightclub life, then you have to read the local entertainment section, get to know the schedules, and make the modest effort to 'be there' when they are :)

Same thing with sports: if you want great sports shots, then you have to keep up with the teams that interest you, and make the modest effort to 'be there' when they are, too :)

Birding is no different: you'll not get much unless you make 'some' kind of effort to put yourself where they are going to be.

I take that back: birding is different ... it's even easier ... because (if you implement Item 1 and Item 3), they will literally come to your back yard (which none of the above will ever do ;) ).

Cheers, and hope to see more bird photos from you and Bruno :)

Jim Covello

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • The Artful Engineer
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2018, 06:23:40 »

I am going to Madera Canyon, AZ at the end of April and will spend 5 days birding in one of the top 4 spots in the US ... hope to get some cool shots 8)

Hope the info helps,

Jack

Hey, Jack. I live in Tucson. If you are interested in some company for a morning or afternoon when you visit, let me know.
Jim

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2018, 13:11:47 »
thank you again for your generous advice, JKoerner!

I am not interested in horses for example, but my daughter is so I have to spend time with horses anyway and many hours of it. Sooooo. I take my camera to the horses and get acquainted to them. Now people as they see my pictures start to ask me for horse pictures although I am a bloody beginner. The point is: beginner to the topic, not to photography wich does make a difference.

I am a regular to our botanical gardens of Bonn University. Trouble is that it is closed during the hours of highest bird activity.

When I got the D500 and my first tele I was quite motivated to bird. but they always hid behind leafs and came out with the light levels low and probably the light quality and angle destined for culling material.

I feel it is better to plant a garden that features the right plants, backgrounds and light directions in mornings and evenings. In fact I have a development project in the pipeline that features a Permaculture garden of extremly high Biodiversity. Hope my pitch will catch fire with the city planning commission!

JKoerner007

« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2018, 17:10:50 »
Hey, Jack. I live in Tucson. If you are interested in some company for a morning or afternoon when you visit, let me know.
Jim

What a nice gesture, thank you Jim.

I will definitely look you up, and will send you an email via your website.

Cheers,

Jack

JKoerner007

« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2018, 17:17:25 »
thank you again for your generous advice, JKoerner!

I am not interested in horses for example, but my daughter is so I have to spend time with horses anyway and many hours of it. Sooooo. I take my camera to the horses and get acquainted to them. Now people as they see my pictures start to ask me for horse pictures although I am a bloody beginner. The point is: beginner to the topic, not to photography wich does make a difference.

Heh heh, I got into photography when my little niece kept asking me to "send her butterflies" from Florida (where I lived at the time). I did for awhile, but didn't like killing them, so I decided to send her pictures of them instead ... which is how I got into macro :)

After 10 years of macro, I got my first bird lens (300 f/2.8G VR II), and have only been shooting birds the last 2 years (although a decade of macro got me pretty keen on light, etc.).

Birding is entirely different from macro, faster-paced, less time-consuming on the computer :)

I am a regular to our botanical gardens of Bonn University. Trouble is that it is closed during the hours of highest bird activity.

When I got the D500 and my first tele I was quite motivated to bird. but they always hid behind leafs and came out with the light levels low and probably the light quality and angle destined for culling material.

Yeah, birding can be frustrating, especially due to low light and them always 'hiding behind' branches/leaves (particularly small ones).

One of the reasons I recommended the phone app. bird call ... tends to make them 'come out and see' who's makin' that noise ;)

I feel it is better to plant a garden that features the right plants, backgrounds and light directions in mornings and evenings. In fact I have a development project in the pipeline that features a Permaculture garden of extremly high Biodiversity. Hope my pitch will catch fire with the city planning commission!

That is a great idea, hope it comes to fruition!

Cheers,

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2018, 19:17:22 »
thank you for your good wishes!

The current idea of the planning commission is to have classical single family houses with private gardens around them. Waste of ressources in my opinion. My proposal is a single structurized building offering the same space for each family including a private garden but in a five story by avarage manner, meaning space requirements will shrink and green space will enlarge. Green space that will be a highly biodiverse highly productive garden of the permanent agricuture ecosystem management approach, feeding the inhabitants of the dwelling.

As I am the developer I can take some artistic freedom to encourage birding in the design. Architect is a friend etc.