Author Topic: NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED (The Best Hiking Telephoto Lens ever)  (Read 21742 times)

Hermann

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED (The Best Hiking Telephoto Lens ever)
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2018, 22:26:45 »
Frank, things are definitely more difficult over here in Germany. It is in general far more difficult to get close to the birds - there's a reason why most German bird photographers use longer focal lengths than Jack does, like the f4/500mm (plus TC if necessary) on a DX body, or, in the case of Canon shooters, the 100-400 (plus TC), once again on a DX body (usually the 7D Mark II). Even in places where there are hundreds of thousands of birds on migration, like the Wattenmeer, you need long lenses, patience and some luck. Local knowledge helps, no doubt about that, and ornitho.de is a good starting point, but if you want to get really good shots it's a fulltime hobby.  In addition, using a tape to lure birds closer is generally frowned upon over here, for good reason: It far too often disturbs birds in places where they might breed.

Which is why I only do bird photography to document rarities, that is birds that shouldn't really be here or only occur here only rarely on migration, or to document "interesting" behaviours, unusual plumages or hybrids. For those purposes I don't need technically "good" shots, as long as the relevant field marks and so on are visible in my shots.

Hermann

Alaun

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2018, 00:26:35 »
Looked for some flying objects in the Botanical Garden here in Bonn today with the 300PF+TC1.4 (D850)

Only found one big black bird and one tiny yellow butterfly (all others were high up in the large trees, no chance to catch them) 8)

with some crops:

Wer-      Dro-
      ner         ste

JKoerner007

« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2018, 04:35:33 »
Nice going.

The plane of focus on that crow makes it look like there's a helicopter overhead ... a circular area of grass, in complete focus, surrounds him :)

Good eye on spotting that butterfly too!

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2018, 04:50:29 »
Thank you, Herman for your interesting points and hints!

Werner. I do not see no Butterfly in your picture. Am I blind?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Jim Covello

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • The Artful Engineer
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2018, 06:12:45 »
What a nice gesture, thank you Jim.

I will definitely look you up, and will send you an email via your website.

Cheers,

Jack

I sent you an email via NikonGear with my contact info; the contact info on my website leaves a lot to be desired (to put it mildly!). Let me know if you don't get it.
Jim
Jim

Alaun

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2018, 10:38:59 »
 within the red line :)

Wer-      Dro-
      ner         ste

JKoerner007

« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2018, 16:58:45 »
I sent you an email via NikonGear with my contact info; the contact info on my website leaves a lot to be desired (to put it mildly!). Let me know if you don't get it.
Jim

Good morning!

Received and returned :)

Much obliged,

Jack

Jim Covello

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • The Artful Engineer
« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2018, 05:59:09 »
If you hike up out of Madera Canyon you eventually get to the top of Mt Wrightson, the highest peak in the Santa Rita mountains. There are amazing 360 views. Here is an example (I am pretty sure that Madera Canyon is down and a little left of this view, but this is from a couple years back):

JKoerner007

« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2018, 22:01:47 »
If you hike up out of Madera Canyon you eventually get to the top of Mt Wrightson, the highest peak in the Santa Rita mountains. There are amazing 360 views. Here is an example (I am pretty sure that Madera Canyon is down and a little left of this view, but this is from a couple years back):

Acrophobia is setting in ;D

antonoat

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2018, 22:29:31 »
The 300 f/4D produces beautiful results.  But it is SLOW to AF.   If the PF produces similar quality but with increased speed and reduced weight, then it is indeed a wonderful lens.
Anthony
The PF focuses lightning fast on my D500' honestly I don't think one could realistically measure the focus time, it's pretty much instantaneous, with the 1.4 attached it is merely very fast if the light is good, a touch slower in poor light. It also performs fantastically well on my D810, on either body the image quality is always fabulous. I think this lens is literally a modern miracle not once have I ever had any flare issues.
Tony Oaten

antonoat

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2018, 22:56:38 »
Acrophobia is setting in ;D

Lol.
Just want to say a big thank you for creating this excellent thread and sharing your fabulous results, your photos are superb.
I agree with everything you have said about this marvellous optic, some say it's expensive but considering the performance and small very manageable form factor I think it's a steal.I currently have three lenses I won't part with, my 600mmf4 vr, Sigma 24-35 GSM Art f2.0 and the 300mm PF. For hand-held birds in flight the 300 PF is unbeatable in my view.
Cheers
Tony.
Tony Oaten

JKoerner007

« Reply #86 on: April 07, 2018, 22:15:03 »
The 300mm + 1.4x TC III on the D500 continues to impress as a macro ... esp. considering it's being "shot from the hip," hand-held, as below:

(First two in harsh light, cropped-in 25%, then 50%, respectively, with the last one taken in soft light and a full image):

1. Bee Fly
2. Lotus Hairstreak
3. Unk. Flower

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #87 on: April 07, 2018, 22:39:40 »
300pf plus extension 23mm:

You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2018, 16:37:44 »
one question: which teleconverters work well with the 300PF?

I learn there is
a 1.4x 3rd generation
a 1.4x 2nd generation

that are fully compatible but I like to have something longer.

http://cdn-5.nikon-cdn.com/Assets/Common-Assets/Images/Teleconverter-Compatibility/EN_Comp_chart.html

What about SIGMA and KENKO

JKoerner007

« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2018, 17:06:55 »
one question: which teleconverters work well with the 300PF?

I learn there is
a 1.4x 3rd generation
a 1.4x 2nd generation

that are fully compatible but I like to have something longer.

http://cdn-5.nikon-cdn.com/Assets/Common-Assets/Images/Teleconverter-Compatibility/EN_Comp_chart.html

What about SIGMA and KENKO

From what I have seen, Frank, the 1.4 III is the perfect mate.

The 1.7 II can work very well also, sharp.

The 2.0 III is a compromise: can be somewhat sharp, but significant loss of contrast, "pop," and a significant reduction in AF accuracy.