Author Topic: Worth it or not - weather sealing for MF lenses?  (Read 1045 times)

whatdoineed2do

• NG Member
Worth it or not - weather sealing for MF lenses?
« on: February 28, 2018, 12:55:13 »
I’ve been using my MF Nikkors in the wet and snowy winter weather and wondered if there was any benefit to adding a rubber gasket to the lens mount, like we have now in the recent Nikkors (even the 50mm 1.8G has a rubber gasket).

If beneficial, how would one approach this with materials etc?

I suspect however, that the rest of the lens may have other weak points particularly for most of my MF lenses that have extending lens barrels as I focus.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Worth it or not - weather sealing for MF lenses?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 14:00:19 »
The aperture ring on the MF Pre-Ai, Ai and Ais lenses as well as on the AF and AF-D lenses is in the way of doing something like the rubber gaskets found on most G and E-Type lenses.

As long as the spring-ring within the F-Mount of the camera hasn't lost it's tension, its not really a big deal as I see it.
Erik Lund

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
Re: Worth it or not - weather sealing for MF lenses?
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 14:40:07 »
I actually found the small buttons on the Sony a7xx too small so I purchased Button Bumps from Shutterbands  https://www.shutterbands.com/collections/catalog/products/shutterbands-kit-for-sony-e-mount
At the same time is purchased some of the Shutter Bands to use with adapted lenses and adapters (primarily for Dusty situations and the beach) .   I communicated with the guy directly and he sent them to India and I used PayPal.

I now have the Button Bumps on all Olympus and Sony bodies and keep a couple of the Bands in my bags.
Just a thought but I have not used the bands in the Monsoon.  I do not take the Sony bodies out in drenching rain and the Olys do not need.
Cheers,
Tom
Edit: His name is Del Simcox  shutterbands@gmail.com   Nice guy and a photog.   They were sold on Amazon at that point.
Tom Hardin, Goa, India