Author Topic: Nikon 35-135mm f/3.5-4.5 difference between 2 touch and push pull  (Read 955 times)

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
I used to own the push pull certain and quite liked the IQ OF IT ON the Df.

Local store has the more traditional rotating zoom ring version and was wondering if it is optically any different than the push pull?

They have it for $35, which is really nothing... Just curious what others think.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
Re: Nikon 35-135mm f/3.5-4.5 difference between 2 touch and push pull
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 01:52:15 »
The AIS and early AF version (narrow plastic focus ring, rotary zoom) have the same optical design with 15 elements in 14 groups and a macro mode accessible from the telephoto 135mm setting.

The later AF version (rubber focus grip, push-pull zoom) has a different optical design with 15 elements in 12 groups, and a macro mode accessible from the short 35mm setting.

I haven't heard much about them in terms of performance, the general feeling is both are decent but not outstanding performers.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
Re: Nikon 35-135mm f/3.5-4.5 difference between 2 touch and push pull
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 04:12:47 »
i have the Ai-S one here in my bench, disassembled (almost 2 years now) and just waiting to be reassembled when I have the time  :o :o :o

optically its not so bad. distortion is the one thing that I noticed but we are talking about 80s consumer zooms so this is not surprising ::)