Author Topic: Water sealing test of four higher-end models: D850 wins but with some caveat  (Read 4269 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Here is the link:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/articles/2017-weather-testing-nikon-d850-vs-sony-a7riii-canon-5div-olympus-e-m1II

The test sample of Sony A7RIII suffered significant leak of water in the battery compartment.  A wet Li-ion battery should be quite scary.

The test concludes that D850 was the winner.  But the leak of the water in the viewfinder eyepiece when exposed to the heavy rain without the hotshoe cover seems rather strange.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
Reminds me of the Df, where the eyepiece fills up in the rain as well.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Reminds me of the Df, where the eyepiece fills up in the rain as well.

Really?  Df boasts of the same weather sealing as that of D800.  So, would there be any potential problem in the design of this part?

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
Here is the link:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/articles/2017-weather-testing-nikon-d850-vs-sony-a7riii-canon-5div-olympus-e-m1II

The test sample of Sony A7RIII suffered significant leak of water in the battery compartment.  A wet Li-ion battery should be quite scary.

The test concludes that D850 was the winner.  But the leak of the water in the viewfinder eyepiece when exposed to the heavy rain without the hotshoe cover seems rather strange.

i dont know about modern cameras but older cameras have a plastic nipple under one of the springs of the hotshoe. the water may have gotten in from there and if it did then the weather sealing there is inadequate  :o :o :o

also remember that the mic is also there and the eyepiece too. i dont think there is a gasket for the eyepiece or the designers are hoping that the rubber of the eyepiece will also function as a gasket. do note that dust usually gets into the finder from the eyepiece (according to Nikon staff)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
So far as I rememnber, the MF film cameras, even the highest end F-one-digit ones, are not weather sealed.  The same should go with Canon and Leica.

As I'm not into video shooting with a DSLR or a mirrorless camera, I always think about sealing the microphone holes with an acetate tape.

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
interesting article.. i try to shoot with lens/cam raincoat whenever possible and i am very careful to avoid excess humidity/moisture to mitigate mold/fungus which is worse than anything in my opinion..  would have liked to see the test with the D5, my wildlife go to cam.
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear

I always liked when Nikon provided the cameras with hotshoe covers. The D5 still comes with one, but you have to buy an accessory cover for the D850, if you want one.

I think showering the camera with a hose is a bit more exposure to water than you'd expect in normal use.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
interesting article.. i try to shoot with lens/cam raincoat whenever possible and i am very careful to avoid excess humidity/moisture to mitigate mold/fungus which is worse than anything in my opinion..  would have liked to see the test with the D5, my wildlife go to cam.

That care is essential here in Tokyo/Japan as well, especially during rainy seasons.

I think showering the camera with a hose is a bit more exposure to water than you'd expect in normal use.

That's exactly why they call it "torture test"!   8)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
I wonder how the weather resistance holds up over time? My D300s and D800 are both weather sealed. I don't allow an accumulation of water on the camera so I don't go out in the rain with a naked camera such as these. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Dave Hartman

---

One of the first things I did with my new Nikkormat FTn was make a raincoat out of a bread bag and take some night shots looking from Glendale over Burbank and the valley in that direction.

I put the bread bag, thin clear plastic, over the camera with space for my hands. Screwed the filter and eyepiece on. Took them off and cut with small, sharp sewing scissors holes, then carefully screw the filter and eyepiece back on. The weather was a moderate mist. The moisture built up and rolled of the bag. Getting my hands dry to handle the camera was the main problem. When I finished and walk away one leg of the tripod stayed, stuck in the mud. It was a low end tripod that had been given to me.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
That care is essential here in Tokyo/Japan as well, especially during rainy seasons.

yes.. i remember.. that is why you told me that Tokyo is not the place to buy old enlarger lenses..  ;D
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
I wonder how the weather resistance holds up over time? My D300s and D800 are both weather sealed. I don't allow an accumulation of water on the camera so I don't go out in the rain with a naked camera such as these. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I also concern about the deterioration of the sealing materials, considering that they are basically made of sponge or rubber kind of things.

yes.. i remember.. that is why you told me that Tokyo is not the place to buy old enlarger lenses..  ;D

Right.  In addition to the humid climate, the developing room tended to be wet.   :o :o :o

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
I have been shooting my D5 (with either the 300 mm PF or the 500 mm E FL on it) under light rain in the Costa Rican rain forests over the past four days and haven't bothered to put my  KATA rain-proof camera cover on.

I have mostly had either a SB-900 or a flash-cord on the hot shoe when it has been raining and, although I do have the rubber hot-shoe covers, they haven't been on the camera.

So far the rain does not seem to be getting into the camera but, if we do get a down-pour,  I will give the camera my raincoat and just get soaked myself if needs be.

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
I have had my Nikons exposed to all kinds of weather for months at a time. They are placed on a tripod attached to IR triggers and often connected to the SB 910. My experience is that they survive all kinds of weather without any kind of protection. They have been covered with snow, freezing rain, gale force winds combined with snow or rain and exposed to temperature variations of 30 degrees celsius within 12 hours (-25 to +5). Not a single one of them have had issues with moisture. Most of them seem to suffer more with protection because most of the moisture seem occur on the innside of the protection due to temperature fluctuations. My latest "torture test" is ongoing with the Df. It has spent its days outside since the end of august and I have only been able to check it in november when the attached picture appeared on the memory card. I reckon I need a shovel to dig it out of the snow the next time I return. I would not be surprised if the the camera and the flash have no issues after the experience. This is my way of using equipment that I know can withstand any environmental impact. I would not buy it if it has been any other way. That is why I only use Nikon and Olympus. If my Olympus gear gets really dirty I wouldn't hesitate to rinse it off with a hose. I wouldn't go that far with my Nikons.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Ann and Børge, thank you for sharing your contrasting posts based on exciting solid experiences!

I would treat my equipments exactly like Ann describes, but Børge's requirement makes a lot of sense.

And, Børge, thank you for this rare capture, too!

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
From their own environmental tests Nikon should know about the leak of the water in the viewfinder eyepiece when exposed to rain without hotshoe cover.

So we now know why both D500 and D850 come without hotshoe covers, extreme form of penny pinching...  >:(