Author Topic: Any Interest in an Infrared Image Board for Nikongear?  (Read 25344 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
Re: Any Interest in an Infrared Image Board for Nikongear?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2017, 20:57:13 »
That is precisely what Andrea suggested.

Great! How would I convert a Nikon D7100?
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2017, 21:06:56 »
Do we all get to change our votes, or just Frank?
Carl

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2017, 23:27:54 »
Interesting question.

I tend to use NG by clicking "show unread posts since last visit'. I've always assumed that let's me see all new stuff, wherever it's been posted.

If so, it really doesn't matter how many forums there are, or where people choose to post.

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2017, 23:49:28 »
i might ask what the goals of such a sub-forum might be. if you merely want all IR images in one place that might be one reason.. or do you want a place where IR technical issues might be raised that is another..  if you think that IR has no place in forums containing visible renderings that is another..

i think we need to be clear as to the purpose.. right now i can't see it.

using IR as a medium of expression on occasion is satisfied using existing forums (landscape etc),,,
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

Bill Mellen

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 23:51:46 »
Interesting question.

I tend to use NG by clicking "show unread posts since last visit'. I've always assumed that let's me see all new stuff, wherever it's been posted.

If so, it really doesn't matter how many forums there are, or where people choose to post.

+1
Everything gets better as we grow younger and thinner

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2017, 23:55:37 »
After you added the clarification I would say: "WHY NOT?" not "NO"

How can I change my vote???

You can't! You just have to live with it. :)

Dave

The smiley is very small and might be missed so here is another :)

---

If the Admin and Mods like my vote can be changed from "No" to a proxy to use as they please.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2017, 23:57:41 »
Blind man using smartphone error.
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2017, 00:42:45 »

May wish had the means for more ir converted bodies with a variety of internal filters

cheers

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2017, 01:09:07 »
Interesting question.

That is the problem.  If the IR forum is added, there will be more threads I want to check out!    ;D :o ;D :o
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bill Mellen

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2017, 01:17:39 »

May wish had the means for more ir converted bodies with a variety of internal filters

cheers

Thanks Fons! 
Everything gets better as we grow younger and thinner

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2017, 01:43:01 »
That is otherworldy, Fons. Love it!

Bern

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2017, 03:07:22 »
If I may be allowed to...

For someone like myself who is just starting to explore the world of IR photography a dedicated board would be very useful. From lenses to post processing and everything else in between. Its not something that is commonly discussed in most forums. And I find that Nikongear has one of the most, if not the most, friendly and professional members (and experts) I have visited. A novice photographer would surely benefit from all the knowledge that you guys can share.

Just my two cents worth of opinion.

Keep shooting,
Bern

Kuri

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2017, 05:03:57 »
1) I am feeling a little dusty now. ;-)
2) It seems like reverse logic to think that making a separate category is shoving anything anywhere, on the contrary, it seems like it might add a level of separation for those who are not interested in the subject matter.
3) Someone asked if they can change their vote. No, this is not allowed! (I am only kidding).
4) What is a "Bofin"?  OK, never mind, I Googled it. :-)
5) I'm not going to vote on this.
6) Fons, Cool pic!
7) Compliments on the UV/IR site, which has much to offer.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2017, 06:41:54 »
Just for the record, the  UVP site referred to by some posters and nicely defended by Kuri does have some IR info which I rescued from the old NikonGear and put on UVP because I didn't know what else to with it. But please note, UVP is *not* an open public forum. It is just for the approximately 10 people in the world who seriously work on UV photography and 3 of them aren't even members there. And it is primarily for Ultraviolet reflected and fluorescent photography. And it has nothing at all to do with any service or board or feature which I might try to set up *here* for the members.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and input. We are not going to open a new IR section at this time.

Admin: slightly edited text. While it is true UVP requires appointed membership (you have to apply for it), the site contents are publicly accessible.

The poll was set up to disallow vote changing. Nobody changed their vote.

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2017, 06:48:54 »
For what it's worth I think an IR and UV board would be a fine addition here. I suspect it would not raise as much interest as other boards on the site though there are technical issues/questions/discussions specific to shooting outside of the visible spectrum that in time could be a good resource if it was all collected on a dedicated board, otherwise it gets lost in the fray. Old sites have had similar sub-forums and I owe just about everything I know of IR and UV photography to such dedicated boards.

As Frank mentioned, a 'beyond visible' sub board seems a good fit. People could bring technical discussion to the board and decide if they wanted to post pictures there or elsewhere on the site.

If someone was not interested in it for whatever reason they could simply refrain from visiting it, no?