Author Topic: Any Interest in an Infrared Image Board for Nikongear?  (Read 25349 times)

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
Any Interest in an Infrared Image Board for Nikongear?
« on: August 20, 2017, 14:56:06 »
There is always a steady, but usually low-key, interest in Infrared imagery on photography forums. We were wondering if it might be nice to open an Infrared image board in the NikonGear Images section?

Added clarification.
"Infrared board" == This would be a separate, sixth section under the Nikongear Images header.  Currently Images contains the following 5 sections: Critique, Themes (etc), People (etc), Nature (etc), Life (etc)

Our general approach on NG is to be low maintenance and to prevent "board clutter". But an occasional experiment with a slightly more specialized board could prove useful to our members. If we did try an IR board and it did not work out, we could always move the IR topics back onto one of the existing boards.

So please vote in this poll and also let us know your thoughts via comment if you like.

Thank you -
The NikonGear Boffin

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
Re: Any Interest in an Infrared Image Board for Nikongear?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 15:38:35 »
There is always a steady, but usually low-key, interest in Infrared imagery on photography forums. We were wondering if it might be nice to open an Infrared image board in the NikonGear Images section?

Our general approach on NG is to be low maintenance and to prevent "board clutter". But an occasional experiment with a slightly more specialized board could prove useful to our members. If we tried an IR board and it did not work out, we could always move the IR topics back onto one of the existing boards.

So please vote in this poll and also let us know your thoughts via comment if you like.

Thank you -
The NikonGear Boffin

I suggest a separate forum within NikonGear. I don't have time to go to many sites, and although I see some great IF images, I have not gone these myself, so I doubt I would go to a new board, but I would look at what is posted here.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 16:27:00 »
While I am definitely interested in IR (and most of what I like in my pictures is IR, besides portraits), I don't think that this should be seen as their major trait. I would rather keep posting IR shots in the regular boards.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 17:18:00 »
I suggest a separate forum within NikonGear. I don't have time to go to many sites, and although I see some great IF images, I have not gone these myself, so I doubt I would go to a new board, but I would look at what is posted here.

That is precisely what Andrea suggested.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 17:28:27 »
What you're asking is whether or not to move IR out of the existing boards and into it's own board. As one who has no interest in UV/IR, I'm not sure that my opinion should carry much weight when it comes to the handling of the images from those that are interested. Having said that, I would very likely not see such images if they were on their own board. I don't know if that matters to anyone, but, you asked. 
Carl

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 17:54:45 »
I like to see some IR shots from time to time. We got some great talent here in that field, but a special forum I sure will not visit.

Suggestion: Put "Beyond Visible" as subcategory of "images"
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

FredCrowBear

• NG Supporter
  • Frederick V. Ramsey
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 04:08:43 »
I have dabbled with IR - I'm not very skilled at it, particularly post-processing. 
I would enjoy following an IR forum and learning how is it properly done!!!

Frederick V. Ramsey

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 04:39:31 »
I didn't vote because none of the three options represents my opinion.

Although I don't do UV or IR anymore (at least currently), I always enjoy the images posted by the members.

However, I don't think that a dedicated forum for IR is necessary here in NG.  The dedicated info on the IR photography is gathered in the Ultraviolet Photography website over the years, and most of the info can be accessed even without logging in. It is a very generous website.

I consider the technical info on UV, IR or multi-spectrum photography is more scientific rather than for general photography.  In order to keep the forum as simple as possible, I would think that we should shy away form such highly (relatively) scientific section.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 04:53:25 »
I voted No, not interested though I am quite interested in IR and UV photography. At this time I am unable to have a camera converted.

In voting this way I hope I'm saying keep the IR and UV Photography coming but include it in the appropriate and existing boards.

Dave who may be confused
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 06:50:37 »

I voted as I voted but maybe I shouldn't have. I guess I'm really neutral. If an IR board is created I'm certain I'll visit it. If not I'll view IR photos where posted.

Dave

Admin: slightly edited to remove a reference to a deleted post
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 07:27:13 »
It is early days yet - so why not let the survey run its intended course and see where the final results end up before picking up our swords and going into battle?

Once the final votes are in, I am sure that the moderators of this site will make wise and informed decisions.

Admin: slightly edited to remove reference to a deleted post
Hugh Gunn

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 08:52:03 »
The existence of ultavioletphotography.com on its own does not prevent Nikongear from having its own IR board.The purposes of those two sites are entirely different.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 18:56:22 »
I consider the UV/IR images posted here as the ones with the special visual effects along with HDR, multi-exposure, point color, highly saturated color, etc.  There have been threads under certain [Theme]'s dedicated for specific effects or techniques.

So, to me, and with all the respect for the UV/IR expert, the dedicated Infrared (or UV or HDR or multi-exposure or whatever) "Board" is redundant here.

Okay, I voted reluctantly for "No, not interested", because it is the only option to say "no".
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 20:43:52 »
After you added the clarification I would say: "WHY NOT?" not "NO"

How can I change my vote???
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2017, 20:53:23 »
I consider the UV/IR images posted here as the ones with the special visual effects along with HDR, multi-exposure, point color, highly saturated color, etc.  There have been threads under certain [Theme]'s dedicated for specific effects or techniques.

So, to me, and with all the respect for the UV/IR expert, the dedicated Infrared (or UV or HDR or multi-exposure or whatever) "Board" is redundant here.

Okay, I voted reluctantly for "No, not interested", because it is the only option to say "no".

Yes, I too noticed 2 yes options as opposed to 1 no option.
Carl