Author Topic: AF-P 70-300 (FX) officially announced  (Read 4473 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: AF-P 70-300 (FX) officially announced
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2017, 02:10:37 »
Folks, there would be no wonder if Nikon itself is confused with the (in)compatibility issue.  When I wanted to try the new DX 70-300 zoom released previously with my D750 at the Nikon showroom in Shinjuku, the attendant said, "no, it cannot be used with D750."  I did know it was doable because I had checked out the compatibility and the known issue on Nikon's own website.

The confusion should be sorted out in the meantime.  :)
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2017, 02:16:36 »
The confusion should be sorted out in the meantime.  :)

That's a job for Agent 99!

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2017, 02:24:48 »
I think the stepper motor may need current to remain at a fixed setting of focus distance. Maybe the older cameras are not equipped to provide that current in a continuous manner during standby?

It seems highly unfortunate that they didn't see this coming.

Several hiccups in a row?

If that is the case then releasing the AF-ON button would not lock the AF. If what you suggest, which sounds likely, then the work-a-round would be a 30 or 60 seconds meter off delay. I think I'm using 10 seconds now.

The problem would be primarily battery drain as the AF-P stepper and VR as well as the meter would all be sucking juice.

Dave

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 00:50:25 »
I had a question about AF-On with the new p lenses, and got at least a partial answer today.  Went to a store, and the clerk there handed me a D500 with the AFP-Dx 70-300 which I assume resembles the others.  I did not have time to test it with back button focus (the clerk was a little busy, and I did not have time to stick it on my own D7100 either).  But what I did find was that if you start it up with the AF turned off at the camera, all focus is dead.  If you start it up in AF and focus it, then turn off the AF on the camera, the AF setting remains, and manual override also remains on.  I don't quite understand how that all works, but there it is.  It would appear, then, that if AF-ON is similar to turning the AF switch off, the lens will retain manual override if the AF has been engaged first.

chambeshi

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2017, 14:43:22 »
One interesting perspective of possible implications of this new AFP lens

https://photographylife.com/nikon-full-frame-mirrorless-is-on-its-way#more-146763

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2017, 18:24:15 »
IMO AF-P isn't about mirrorless but autofocus during the recording of video. Mirrorless will have its own lenses.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2017, 02:38:20 »
Are we reading too much into why Nikon has constructed this lens in the way it has? 

Perhaps building a lens with stepper motor focus is the simplest and most economical way to build a lens now days, especially for robotic assembly?
Hugh Gunn

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2017, 02:41:59 »
IMO AF-P isn't about mirrorless but autofocus during the recording of video. Mirrorless will have its own lenses.

Would I be wrong in assuming some designs will cross over?

Dave