Author Topic: 35mm f/1.8 DX  (Read 2367 times)

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
35mm f/1.8 DX
« on: July 18, 2017, 00:12:25 »
Opinions?
Carl

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
Re: 35mm f/1.8 DX
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 01:06:00 »
great little lens, great optics and af speed is good

modern construction , meaning weights little and it is plastic

I used it on the d300 and d40

very decent price

and very easy to sell if you decide to do so
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 01:08:27 »
great little lens, great optics af speed is good

modern construction , meaning weights little and it is plastic

I used it on the d300 and d40

very decent price

and very easy to sell if you decide to do so

Thanks, Armando.
Carl

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 01:10:23 »
I've used a couple of different samples.  The earlier versions left me no complaints.  The last one I used was one of the latest which was fine optically, but its aperture blades formed distorted shapes when stopped down by one or a few stops.  Apparently the manufacturing is declining.  I would look for a good sample of second hand ones.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 01:21:56 »
I've used a couple of different samples.  The earlier versions left me no complaints.  The last one I used was one of the latest which was fine optically, but its aperture blades formed distorted shapes when stopped down by one or a few stops.  Apparently the manufacturing is declining.  I would look for a good sample of second hand ones.

I see, but I'm not sure how I would determine a good copy of a used one with an online purchase. Are you sure that the issue wasn't restricted to just your copy?
Carl

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 01:29:07 »
I see, but I'm not sure how I would determine a good copy of a used one with an online purchase. Are you sure that the issue wasn't restricted to just your copy?

Carl, after I had noticed the distorted aperture on my copy, I looked at some different samples at some retailers here in Tokyo.  I then confirmed that my sample was not an exception.  I had mine checked at the Nikon service, and the technician there confirmed that the aperture was not in the normal state.  I knew that my older samples had perfectly symmetrical aperture openings at any stops.  However, Nikon couldn't repair it saying that the aperture was perfect.

That said, even the lens with distorted aperture opening worked perfectly and its optical performance was still admirable.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 01:36:14 »
Carl, after I had noticed the distorted aperture on my copy, I looked at some different samples at some retailers here in Tokyo.  I then confirmed that my sample was not an exception.  I had mine checked at the Nikon service, and the technician there confirmed that the aperture was not in the normal state.  I knew that my older samples had perfectly symmetrical aperture openings at any stops.  However, Nikon couldn't repair it saying that the aperture was perfect.

That said, even the lens with distorted aperture opening worked perfectly and its optical performance was still admirable.

So it was a bokeh issue?
Carl

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 01:47:27 »
So it was a bokeh issue?

Yes, the distorted or partially gear-shaped bokeh circle would be the most conceivable problem.  But that can jut be a nitpick if you are not very particular about it.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 01:52:23 »
You should be able to work out the approximate age by checking the serial number and manufacturing dates here: http://photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#DX
Note: it has been a while since I had an update for this lens, so the high serial number is surely out of date by now.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 01:52:43 »
Yes, the distorted or partially gear-shaped bokeh circle would be the most conceivable problem.  But that can jut be a nitpick if you are not very particular about it.

Okay, Akira, thanks for the response.
Carl

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 02:08:09 »
You should be able to work out the approximate age by checking the serial number and manufacturing dates here: http://photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#DX
Note: it has been a while since I had an update for this lens, so the high serial number is surely out of date by now.

Thanks, Roland, I was considering grabbing the lens new, with the current $30 off discount, so I don't have a clue about the serial number. Akira says the new ones are flawed, so maybe a new one is a bad idea. Even though it would carry a 5 year warranty here, if, as Akira says, Nikon denies the flaw, then the warranty won't be much help.
Carl

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 02:23:42 »
It may be that Akira came across a bad batch, or was simply unlucky to find several bad samples at the same time, or indeed the newer lenses are flawed compared to the earlier production. It is very difficult to know for certain either way.

Usually, an irregular shaped aperture becomes noticeable only at smaller apertures (bigger f-number). If you mainly shoot at wider-medium apertures, or are not too concerned about the shape of out-of-focus highlights, then it is not an issue. If the background has no bright point sources of light or reflections, you won't even notice the irregular shape in your pictures. If it is important to you, make sure you buy from somewhere with a good return policy, or buy from a shop where you can inspect the lens first.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 02:35:51 »
It may be that Akira came across a bad batch, or was simply unlucky to find several bad samples at the same time, or indeed the newer lenses are flawed compared to the earlier production. It is very difficult to know for certain either way.

Usually, an irregular shaped aperture becomes noticeable only at smaller apertures (bigger f-number). If you mainly shoot at wider-medium apertures, or are not too concerned about the shape of out-of-focus highlights, then it is not an issue. If the background has no bright point sources of light or reflections, you won't even notice the irregular shape in your pictures. If it is important to you, make sure you buy from somewhere with a good return policy, or buy from a shop where you can inspect the lens first.

Thanks again, Roland. Yeah, I thought about Akira being involved in an anomaly WRT that lens, because I have not heard about this issue elsewhere. It is recommended by Thom Hogan, etc. At 50mm it's too short for portraits, and I don't know that the bokeh problem, if indeed the lens had it, would present a problem for me. I'm mainly interested in the lens as a fast 50mm for low light situations. 
Carl

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 02:45:21 »
Maybe if you are buying from a bricks and mortar camera store, the sales person will let you check the shape of the iris/aperture of the stopped down lens before you close the deal?

A number of my Nikon lenses, both older and newer have less than perfectly symmetrical iris/aperture shapes when stopped down.
Hugh Gunn

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 02:50:14 »

I've occasionally seen this over the years. I saw a 55/2.8 AIS with this mality. It's something to check for when buying a lens.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!